GM Volt Forum banner

Budget Illuminated Charge Port?

3143 8
As I certainly do not wish to spend CAN$175 on the illuminated charge port option for my 2017 Volt, I'm looking to to forum for ideas. Occasionally I do need to plug the car in in the dark. Does anyone have any thoughts of an economical LED/sensor combination that could cut that cost to somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-50 and still look decent?

Surprised the illuminated port doesn't come automatically with this car, particularly the Premium trim.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,014 Posts
I usually plug in before it gets dark. However, in a pinch there is always the handy flashlight built into my phone.

Additional cost: zero

I also have experience 'seeing' with my fingers, so, aligning the port to plug is pretty simple even in pitch black.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually plug in before it gets dark. However, in a pinch there is always the handy flashlight built into my phone. I also have experience 'seeing' with my fingers, so, aligning the port to plug is pretty simple even in pitch black.
Both of these (phone or guessing in the dark) are my current methods as well. All this being said, my 2012 Leaf had no light in the front-charge door (it's now standard on all models from 2014 onward) and for $20 on amazon, a magnetic, button cell LED with a motion sensor fit in the cavity, and it works like a dream. Too big for the volt's door, but I'm wondering if anyone has thought about a similar option on the volt.

· Registered
450 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.