GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car October 22nd, switched to winter tires not long after, switched back to summer tires a few weeks ago...

Tadam!

What a piece of crap tire!!! No warranty whatsoever according to the dealer.

So they can basically make tires that will grow a button a few weeks after purchase and then tell you to suck it and keep buying new tires?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The dealer does not want to deal with it. Go to a local tire shop that sells Michelin and ask the to put in a claim. The tires should have a 55.000 mile warranty through the manufacturer. You may have to buy a new tire first and wait for the claim money.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Got my car October 22nd, switched to winter tires not long after, switched back to summer tires a few weeks ago...

Tadam!

So they can basically make tires that will grow a button a few weeks after purchase and then tell you to suck it and keep buying new tires?

Surely the tire manufacturer would cover this? I would not expect the GM warranty to, but your dealer could at least help you process a claim.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Or Michelin warranty

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yes, the Volt tires (optimized for low rolling resistance) are more susceptible to damage than regular tires, this is pot hole season.
I have had to replace one do to a pot hole (mine blew out entirely and had to be towed on a flat bed to a dealer and wait two days for a replacement to arrive. Fortunately GM covered the tow and the rental car and OnStar had the truck there in less than 20 minutes.
I have also had two punctures that the tire pump and goop got me going until I could get them fixed properly, But the replacement can of goop cost more than the tire repair.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help, I was also under the impression that the dealer simply didn't want to bother.

I will see with a tire shop.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What's a pot hole? Just kidding, we do not have that issue here is Phoenix. I did grow up in the metro Detriot area so I do know what a pot hole is but do not miss them nor the snow/ice/rain that causes them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
What's a pot hole? Just kidding, we do not have that issue here is Phoenix. I did grow up in the metro Detriot area so I do know what a pot hole is but do not miss them nor the snow/ice/rain that causes them.
It is where you stash your ... oh wait, never mind.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
A bubble/bulge protruding from the sidewall of the tire is created by air leaking from the inside of the tire into the carcass or body of the tire. The vast majority of bubbles are caused by impact damage.

While a separation/bubble within the first six months of a tire's life is usually associated with a manufacturing condition, even a single, significant impact with a deep pothole or sharp curb can cause a new tire and wheel to be damaged.

If the sidewall separation/bubble appears after six months of on-vehicle service, prolonged driving on overloaded/underinflated tires or a road hazard (pothole, etc.) are the most likely causes. However it may take weeks or months after an impact for a separation/bubble to appear as the damaged or bruised area continues to weaken.

So: manufacturing defect, or pothole/curb strike, or tire inflation.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts

My dealership told me to pound sand after I pointed out that 3 of my tires were of one type and one was another. They were all Goodyear, but had different tread widths and plies. Needless to say, they've lost my business for life. I now take my car to another dealership 26 miles away for service.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Volt came equipped with all season tires, do you mean those or did you buy summer only tires at the "tire shop" you mentioned?

Tire warranties can suck so look up the details, often times they require you to buy the same tires from an authorized resellers, require you to ship back the tire, then they analyze it to determine if they feel it's a defected or not...Regardless keep us in the loop!

·
Registered
86 Posts
In Quebec cars MUST have Winter Tires. I'm thinking the all seasons got very little use...a bit before Winter Tires had to be installed then only a brief period after Winter Tires are removed

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
My dealership told me to pound sand after I pointed out that 3 of my tires were of one type and one was another.
As I recall, you got a really, really good deal on the car?

I suspect before they sold it to you the dealer replaced the OEM after a tire mishap.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

Tadam!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=159

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Tadam!

In the package of materials you received with your new car is the tire manufacturers warranty information. The dealership just doesn't want to deal with the problem... you can force them to deal with it or do it yourself, but any way you slice it, that tire will be pro-rated and replaced at substantially lower cost than if you just purchase a new tire on your own.

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ahhhh, Detroit roads! Funniest part about it is driving north you cross an invisible line leaving Detroit going into Gross Point and the roads go from bomb cratered and unusable to some of the smoothest in the country.

Best thing that could happen for Detroit citizens now would be for the City to dis-incorporate and become 5 or 6 separate towns with their own town governments and infrastructure / tax structure.

Keith

·
Registered
33 Posts
Best of luck with it, unfortunately I wouldn't hold out to much hope for free/discount replacement.

I had something similar happen to me, when I swapped my all season SUV tires back on after the winter came off. As I was putting the tire on their I noticed the bubble on the all season, nearly new tire.

And same thing, no warranty coverage, Continental said, road damage.

Had to pay for a brand new tire.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'll bet this happened when the last yahoo that did the winter tire swap was rough on the tire, did not use enough lube, or whatever.
When you take this tire off you'll see where the damage is. It will be the cords are cut down to the steel bead. You'll see a chunk of rubber missing at that location.

I watched a tire 'tech' do this to a cheap set of tires I brought in for a cheap car I was driving. He thought cheap tires don't need lube.
I saw a piece of rubber fly off while he was installing the tire. Later the same day that tire looked just like the one in the picture above.

But what are you gonna do??? How long ago was it when the winter tires were swapped?

Drive slow to the tire store. Tell them you want to watch when this tire is removed. Are you going back to the shop that did the winter tire swap?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts