GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Folks,

I have a broken 240 Voltec charger that was kind enough to quit only days before 2 years of age. Thanks to the MasterCard extended warranty, I got one extra year on my self installed warranty.

At any rate, it is in great shape and I don't need it so does it have any value to the crafty? The cord had gotten renewed last year and is in great shape with the led light built-in.

I have a new Clipper Creek 25 (because I wanted the white plug) and the accessory holster for the wall.

Let me know if this thing has any value to you guys,

QR

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They do have some core value for the cord and plug. I'd pay no more than $100 for one, but you'd probably get twice that on ebay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The cord and case is worth about $100 used, and could be used to install an OpenEVSE project. ..

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
The cord and case is worth about $100 used, and could be used to install an OpenEVSE project. ..
Some have been able to repair their voltec chargers by replacing fuses and metal oxide varistors, but that assumes you know what you are doing. I Personally feel safer buying a new EVSE over repairing one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I did the repair by replacing a blown fuse at a cost of $4.50. Had it not been for other forum members I would not have known how to repair the Voltec Charger and would have ended up purchasing a new Clipper Creek unit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty good with a soldering iron as well but "the agreement" was that I purchase a new one and provide a receipt. I chose to do that instead of fooling with the repair.

Thanks for the ideas.

QR

·
Registered
376 Posts
If mine had been under warranty I would have definitely opted for the new and free replacement. Sorry for getting off subject on your post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am working on a Capstone project for school and I am doing an open source EVSE. I could really use this, how much would you want?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make me a serious offer Tooth (I'm not sure what shipping would be). I will take it off of the wall tomorrow and get a look inside.

BTW, btown, the warranty was offered by Master Card not Voltec/Bosch who won't give you beans. Given the choice for a new Voltec or new Clipper Creek which choice would you make?

QR

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
... Given the choice for a new Voltec or new Clipper Creek which choice would you make?

QR
There's a no-brainer question. Clipper Creek comes with a 3 year warranty from a company that has a stellar reputation for customer service. Voltec comes with a 1 year warranty and has a bit less shine on their reputation. The Clipper Creek products seem to fail less too so the warranty doesn't matter if you never use it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the Voltec a black, plastic one the GM dealerships purchased through GM?? My wife plugs in at work, she always has to PULL-UP on the plug before the orange light will come on, this seems kind of odd to me, since the original 120 volt charger we have at home works just by plugging in. Also, within the past two months, two of them quit working. A white unit ( I think Bosch ) mounted in the service lane plugs in normally and works perfectly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Sarge,

The Voltec chargers have a spotty past. Works well while it it is up, too bad the company doesn't support repairs or upgrades.

QR

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So today was the perfect day to install the LCS 25 Clipper Creek charger. The unit is small, much smaller than even a 120 volt that came in the trunk. What was different was that it comes with a wire "tail" which required me to pull the 10 wire back into the house, pull the tail back into the wall and join them inside of a 1900 box.

I truthfully could have used the cheaper unit but I like the longer cord and white colored plug end. Time will tell how well it works but so far so good.

QR

P.s..we also opted for the plastic wall holster option

1 - 14 of 14 Posts