GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main display cluster on my 2011 Chevy Volt failed. We replaced it with a working cluster from a wrecked Volt. The car is in good shape and runs in both sustaining and depleting battery charge modes. Because the VIN number in the replacement module does not match the car VIN, the replacement cluster will not display the odometer reading.

The only Chevy dealer nearby that works on Volts tells me we have to bring in the car along with the old, broken module and leave it with them for an undetermined length of time. Then the dealer will have to send both modules off to GM to program the replacement module with the correct VIN number, while the car sits on their lot for as long as they feel like. The dealer states the cost will exceed $1000.

Does anyone know of someone else that can reprogram the replacement cluster with correct VIN number, or have detailed DIY instructions for fixing the VIN number in the replacement module.

Note, I'm not looking changing the car's VIN or commit any other illegal action. I just want to be able to display the odometer value.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
810 Posts
This is not DIY. Good news is that there are lots of places that can do it for MUCH less than the dealer. Google "speedometer service" for many results.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Do the Trip Meters A and B on the driver’s display and the distances on the energy usage screen on the center console accurately track your distances driven, even without the odometer display? Or are they, too, non-functional?

IOW, is your 2011 Volt continuing to count the number of miles/km and ev miles/km being driven, even if the odometer numbers are not being displayed (suggesting the total miles/ev miles readings might still be available via OnStar uploads to mychevy.com or voltstats.net), or does the absence of a working odometer display means the car has a non-functioning odometer?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The main display cluster on my 2011 Chevy Volt failed. We replaced it with a working cluster from a wrecked Volt. The car is in good shape and runs in both sustaining and depleting battery charge modes. Because the VIN number in the replacement module does not match the car VIN, the replacement cluster will not display the odometer reading.

The only Chevy dealer nearby that works on Volts tells me we have to bring in the car along with the old, broken module and leave it with them for an undetermined length of time. Then the dealer will have to send both modules off to GM to program the replacement module with the correct VIN number, while the car sits on their lot for as long as they feel like. The dealer states the cost will exceed $1000.

Does anyone know of someone else that can reprogram the replacement cluster with correct VIN number, or have detailed DIY instructions for fixing the VIN number in the replacement module.

Note, I'm not looking changing the car's VIN or commit any other illegal action. I just want to be able to display the odometer value.
Dealerships can do this in-house. All they need is documentation that the replacement console is from a totalled vehicle owned by a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Since the trip meters work, that could indicate your Volt is continuing to track distances driven, even if the odometer display is currently inoperative, and once the current problem is corrected, your odometer display will be accurate. Do you maintain the minimum "free" OnStar account (I think mine is now called "Connected Services")? - no fob, no status reports, but it is a valid account that allows access to your car’s data on the myvolt and voltstats sites... viewing your numbers there might help reassure you that your Volt’s total miles/total ev miles numbers are still being tracked.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You need to read the eeprom from the old cluster and flash it on the new one
. . . . and there are speedo service techs who will do this for waaaay less than $1K

Don

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's not a Mississippi inspection, for sure. A.) Mississippi did away with ALL car inspections a few years back, and B.) Even when we did have a mandatory inspection, it was just lights, brake lights, turn signals and wipers - Took 3 minutes or less. No sniffer, nobody looking to see if the check engine light was on . . . . none of that jazz - But now . . . . no inspections of any kind

Don

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are some dodgy Chinese OBD devices that are capable of changing the mileage on electronic odometers. They sell them with lame warnings to the effect of "for amusement use only", etc. Crooked used car dealers use them. Anyway, I'm not sure if one of these gadgets will help with the VIN issue.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you send in both odometer modules to me I can transfer everything for you and have it work guaranteed!!! just pay shipping and let me keep the broken cluster.
Unfortunately we need this car every day, so we cannot send both odometers. I think we have found a solution in a neighboring state, and have shipped the original module off for repair. If that solution fails, I will be back in touch with you.

I am very grateful for all of the advice I have received in this thread. I have definitely relied on advice here to find the solution we are following today.

Again, much thanks to everyone who commented.

WVhybrid

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Odometer Fixed!

Finally, we found a service to fix the odometer on my 2011 Chevy Volt. I want to offer many thanks to the commenters to this thread for excellent advice and to Kincer's Service of Mt. Vernon, KY for the patience and skill to provide the fix we needed.

First, after the fail, we found the only Chevy dealer in West Virginia who would work on our Volt, located 120 miles north of our home. After purchasing a front screen module from a wrecked 2011 Volt, the dealer replaced the burned out module with the replacement. But because the VIN in the replacement module didn't match the VIN stored elsewhere in the car, the module would not display the Odometer value.

Second, following advice from several posters above, we found Kincer's Service, located 200 miles west of our location, and shipped them the old, broken screen module. They found the main circuit board in the module to be non-functional. So we drove the Volt over to Kentucky and left it for a couple days. Kincer's removed the replacement module from the Volt and moved the e-prom from the broken original module, and installed it into the the replacement board. The replacement board then identified with the correct VIN, and this display odometer value correctly displayed on the screen. Testing also showed the odometer correctly accumulated as the car was driven.

Finally, yesterday we drove back to Kentucky and picked up the Volt and drove it home with a working odometer. Total cost, not counting the electricity and gasoline to drive our Tesla to and from Kentucky twice and the Volt once (a total of a little more than 1200 miles driven), was just over $400. Only being without the Volt for 2 days was also very helpful. And now we have a Volt that will pass inspection.

One last comment, West Virginia law does not required a car 10 or more years old to have a working odometer, so if the module had lasted 18 months more than it did, then all this trouble could have been avoided.

Again, thanks to everyone who provided advice. The Volt has been an excellent car for our family, and I'm hoping it will continue to serve us well. My son is the primary driver now that it is working again, and he hopes to keep driving it for years to come. BTW, total mileage on the Volt odometer shows as 123,000. The actual mileage is probably 2 or 3 thousand more than the odometer display.

Best Regards,
WVhybrid

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm glad you have resolved your problem. Posting here with this information may be helpful to someone in the future. Long live the Chevy Volt;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts