GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Case Closed:
I paid $200 in Labor Charges to get my car back from the dealer after this Voltec Warranty Repair.

Not very impressive Troubleshooting Techniques, GM....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Case Closed:
I paid $200 in Labor Charges to get my car back from the dealer after this Voltec Warranty Repair.

Not very impressive Troubleshooting Techniques, GM....
Glad to hear you got your Spark EV back.

On the bright side - you may have been 1st one with this type of failure; there were lessons learned for GM and there is a future reference for forum members.

I will go fast charge my Spark EV for the last time before I pick up my Tesla - see if it still works...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Glad to hear you got your Spark EV back.

On the bright side - you may have been 1st one with this type of failure; there were lessons learned for GM and there is a future reference for forum members.

I will go fast charge my Spark EV for the last time before I pick up my Tesla - see if it still works...
I can only hope GM is improving their troubleshooting methods and tools.....
I can only assume Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan have more advance Troubleshooting tools and methods.

They wanted $800 for my Voltec Warranty Repair. ???:mad:

With me fussing and pointing out the obvious they dropped it 75%, "just for the Labor", to replace the SDM that was not the problem.

In summary:
I always thought a Bolt, (with more High Tech), would be my next BEV.
Now,,, I have to look at the newest Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan BEV's when they become available.
On paper they are competitive with the Bolt, and they may have the High Tech features I want.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The SDM is not part of the Voltec Warranty.
The other 2 modules are covered by the Voltec Warranty.
The SDM was the 2nd 'Try' using the Trouble Tree.
The 3rd 'Try' fixed it.

Regardless, this is a corporate issue: Asking a customer to pay for a $800 module that DID NOT fix the problem.
I thought it was $344...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought it was $344...
That was the first 'Break' they offered to perform the Powertrain Warranty repair, down from $800 initially for the SDM that was NOT the problem.

I said that was unexceptable. Their Old Fashioned Trouble Tree Method of Troubleshooting should not have the SDM as the 2nd Guess.

So GM paid for the SDM and I broke down, after 5 weeks in the shop, and the last offer was $200 Labor to R&R the SDM.
I can't see that either. It's located in the cabin of the car, under the passenger seat, I believe.

But, I broke. I probably spent more than that on gas while my EV was in the shop.:mad:
I tell friends at work with gassers, "I don't see how you people do it?" :cool:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Small update:

So, I get this call from GM HQ.
A nice young gentleman is telling me he'd like to give me a $100 Service Voucher to use for only my Spark EV.

I say thanks for the offer! That eases the sting of paying $200 for a Powertrain Warranty Repair.
But I point out that there is NO SERVICE SCHEDULED for my Spark EV until 97.5k miles, and that is for the Drive Unit Fluid change (ATF).

And that is one of the reasons some Chevy Dealers hate EV's....:p

(I don't rotate the tires because of different wheels front and rear and directional tires. Lots of cars are like that.)

I ask about getting an upgrade for my Onstar service instead.
He said that may be possible and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Chevy is trying to make up :).
How many times have you fast charged since the fix?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I have not DCFC'd yet.
Only my daily FREE L2 charging!! Love it!!
Maybe this weekend.

Funny side note: I spoke to the GM 'Make Up Guy' twice now about an upgrade to my Onstar service,,,
and now for the last two days I have not received the txt msg that my "car is done charging" from Onstar, only the one from Chargepoint.

I called Onstar and they say my free Basic subscription is still in effect.:confused:
Funny, I'm afraid Make Up Guy dik'd with my service somehow and now it's dead...:p

edit: Still not getting 'Charge Complete' txt msg, but I did a 'Remote Start' and that works.... So, something is up with my subscription...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I called Onstar and they say my free Basic subscription is still in effect.:confused:
Funny, I'm afraid Make Up Guy dik'd with my service somehow and now it's dead...:p

edit: Still not getting 'Charge Complete' txt msg, but I did a 'Remote Start' and that works.... So, something is up with my subscription...
It's entirely possible it's completely unrelated -- that stuff starts and stops working all the time, seemingly at random, and there's far more reports that calling does nothing than there are that something actually got fixed by calling.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's entirely possible it's completely unrelated -- that stuff starts and stops working all the time, seemingly at random, and there's far more reports that calling does nothing than there are that something actually got fixed by calling.
Great... You're probably right.... Maybe someday it will fix itself.:rolleyes:

I really don't need 2 daily txt when I'm at a public networked L2. Chargepoint still sends the 'Done' txt.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts