GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on LinkedIn, interesting short version.

"Electric Vehicles *The Past 162 Years - And The Time Ahead" https://lnkd.in/e8Q-Abf by @Frankdoit on @LinkedIn

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That "history" was short and lacked important details, so I don't recommend it as important reading. Seems as he is one of many who has never read the true history of personal transportation and wronfully assumed that gasoline powered engines were the first. I know because I did read that correct history many years ago as an EE student.

And the author has misinformation on this point: "Means a lot more power generation capacity must be put online within the next few years." Not true! Due to more efficient lighting and home appliances, electrical power consumption has dropped, such that many utilities (including mine, PREPA) has so much surplus power capacity that they must either shut down some generation plants (PREPA did this to upgrade one plant fuel use from oil to natural gas), offer cheaper nightly rates (even free!) to prevent powering down their spinning generators, or offer incentives to use more nightly power for other new uses, including BEV charging.

The U.S. and many other nations can support over 100 million new EVs with no loss of capacity, but will eventually increase their utility revenues, taking that away from the oil producers and marketeers.

EVs will save the world!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That "history" was short and lacked important details, so I don't recommend it as important reading. Seems as he is one of many who has never read the true history of personal transportation and wronfully assumed that gasoline powered engines were the first. I know because I did read that correct history many years ago as an EE student.
The key word in the title is "brief". I liked the link to the catalog of the various EVs. This is another article to add to my collection of EV history. Thanks Andy!

·
Registered
261 Posts
And the author has misinformation on this point: "Means a lot more power generation capacity must be put online within the next few years." Not true! Due to more efficient lighting and home appliances, electrical power consumption has dropped, such that many utilities (including mine, PREPA) has so much surplus power capacity that they must either shut down some generation plants (PREPA did this to upgrade one plant fuel use from oil to natural gas), offer cheaper nightly rates (even free!) to prevent powering down their spinning generators, or offer incentives to use more nightly power for other new uses, including BEV charging.
And as EV battery capacity/range increases, the percentage of EV drivers needing a daytime charge will shrink. So more of the growth in EV charging demand will be at night, when the excess capacity is greatest!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

The U.S. and many other nations can support over 100 million new EVs with no loss of capacity, but will eventually increase their utility revenues, taking that away from the oil producers and marketeers.

EVs will save the world!
All excellent points. Another reason we will not need more generation capacity is that for every gallon of gasoline that is saved, and therefore not refined in the US, that saves about 7 kilowatt hours of electricity used in the refining process. As more people switch away from gas to electric, we will use less electricity for refining gasoline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts