GM Volt Forum banner

Bricked my Instrument Cluster, could use some help.

19K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  NorthVolt 
#1 ·
While attempting to update the Instrument Cluster I didn't realize that the vehicle USB port that the update mentioned was not the one in the center console but was actually a USB port on the back of the cluster, now the cluster reads a continuous loop with the words: "IPS_MSG_CTRL (Activated)"
I have tried re-applying the update with the USB drive plugged into the cluster and it fails every time, I have tried to re-program the cluster as a new ECU but there is no communication, I have also removed the cluster wire connector and let sit for a couple of hours and nothing.
Just curious if anybody else has done this and recovered from it or if a new cluster off Ebay is in order?
Many thanks
I also know that GM recommends not to flash updates unless needed, I was hoping to resolve an issue in which the screen stays blank on start-up.

#4 ·
[video=youtube;jlPBeLK5MaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPBeLK5MaQ[/url][/video]

Funny story is that I made the same mistake of plugging the USB drive into the center console instead of the cluster itself the 1st time I attempted to push GM software!:eek:

This didn't 'brick' the instrument cluster in my case but I did have to get creative in order to recover:

NOTE: This was back using the older SPS $55/3day subscription rate so I am not 100% certain this still works for the single VIN $40/2 yr current rate.

Seemed the Instrument cluster was stuck in a boot loop and I could no longer proceed with software push and couldn't recover even after re-creating the USB drive and properly inserting it into the instrument cluster after several attempts.

Decided not to choose the cluster part number for my specific VIN and chose a different Volt cluster model # from the SPS software (seemed the cluster was bricked at this time so I really couldn't have made it any worse!):p

Followed the SPS software prompts for the incorrect model cluster not associated with my VIN and allowed the programming to run to failure.

However, after attempting to load the wrong GM software, sure enough next time I chose the correct cluster model # for my VIN and re-created the USB and plugged into the cluster it ran successfully to completion as exampled in the video above!:cool:

YMMV: With GM's new single VIN SPS pricing model this may no longer be possible to do but your GM service dept could be able to perform something like this for you if I was able to recover mine!;)

#5 ·
That sounds like pretty much exactly that same but (you knew it) the new SPS subscription does not let you select a part #, it simply reads your part # and calibrations and shows updates available and you go from there. I wonder if I had someone else with a Volt create a USB file for me and I tried to install that?
Although one problem is that when the cluster goes to try an update now it fails to find the USB flash drive "No USB drive detected" as it goes through the update process.
Thanks a bunch as it sounds as if you are the possibly the only other person to have gone through this on the forum.
I have to wonder what GM would charge to fix the cluster and/or how difficult it would be to install and program a used IPC.

#8 ·
That sounds like pretty much exactly that same but (you knew it) the new SPS subscription does not let you select a part #, it simply reads your part # and calibrations and shows updates available and you go from there.
Previous version of SPS java app allowed you to deviate from your default VIN as captured thru the VCX Nano then enter another valid VIN then pick random calibrations for different model instrument clusters for the Gen1. This is how I successfully managed to 'unbrick' my cluster the 1st time but I suppose this behavior has now changed under the cheaper $40 single-VIN GM SPS subscription?:confused:

#7 ·
Your suggestion made me check the USB drive and the files loaded which appear to be good but what I discovered in the process is that the USB cable that I pieced together from 2 cables (one with a Mini B male end the other with a Type-A female) is not working properly.
I cut the wires and spliced and soldered the 4 wires (R,G,B and White) together, it looked simple but evidently .....
So thanks for that.

#9 ·
I recall that being the case but now I can't see anywhere that a different VIN can be used.
I'm hoping that the new USB cable I ordered will do the trick, the IPC goes into a boot mode looking for the USB drive every time the connector is plugged in so there is a possibility that a good cable will resolve this. I hope.

#12 ·
Update for anyone that runs into this same issue while updating the Instrument Cluster in their Volt::
I was able to get it back up and running by simply using the correct cable (USB Type-A female and Mini-B Male), went back into SPS and thru the programming process with the USB flash drive attached and the .bin files downloaded for the previous attempt that left the display in a boot loop.
As soon as I noticed "USB Mounted" I figured it was going to work and sure enough it started reading each .bin file and in about 5 minutes the Instrument cluster was back up and running.
As far as the updates go I haven;t noticed any changes but my wife drives the car 99% of the time so I'll wait for her report unless anyone else has some input on any changes they have noticed.
I'd like to thank everyone that helped and I'm relieved to get it back up and running.

BTW, the USB cable pictured above looks identical to the one one ordered from Amazon and used today.

#13 ·
I wonder if you noticed the dim lighting level after the update. In my case I notice that the instrument cluster goes dark at 50% dim. The radio back-light is not in sync anymore with the instrument cluster unless dim control is at 100%. I would like to put the prior version of the firmware, but I don't see an option in SPS to do so.

#14 ·
I wonder if you noticed the dim lighting level after the update. In my case I notice that the instrument cluster back-lighting level is dark at 50% dim level. The radio back-lighting level is not in sync with the instrument cluster anymore unless the dim control level is at 100%.
I would like to flash back the prior version but I don't see an option in SPS to do so.

#15 ·
Well I managed to "brick" my cluster too. Thank you JetSpeed and somms for saving me.

Public Service Announcement: Do not update every module just because you can... only the module(s) with a problem.

GM Techline Connect (formerly SPS) is a great tool... but like any powerful tool, can be dangerous in the hands of a novice.

I really thought I had trashed the car... I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your experience! Thanks again JetSpeed and somms.

#16 ·
I know this is an old thread but can someone explain how the .bin files get loaded to usb. Does SPS2 create the bin file on the computer usb or usb attached to cluster. I have bricked my cluster attempting to upgrade code but had the usb in the console not behind cluster with cable. Please help

#17 ·
I feel your pain. You can fix it; It's kind of like updating an old Android phone.

The files on the flash drive are created via SPS2. Plug the flash drive into your computer and SPS2 will put the files on it. The flash drive must be completely empty first.

You will need to pull the cluster out of the dash and plug your flash drive with the .bin files into the usb port on the back of the cluster. You will need the special cable described above to make that happen.

It took me several tries to get it right. Good Luck!

#19 ·
Thank you twowheeldrive,
I will keep trying this, just a little confused as to where the flash drive needs to be to download. Bin file.
Thanks again for the response.
The flash drive needs to be in a USB port in the computer you are running the SRS software. It's been a while, but I think the SRS software will find it and verfify before it writes the bin files to it.

#20 ·
Si I've tried 3 different usb sticks format in fat32 and ntfs with no luck. I actually get a E4492 Cyber Security Access failure and E4423 Unknown reprogramming error 5 at step 0 error when attempting to program cluster with SPS2. I don't know if I can get a bin file from somewhere else to attempt the program as the cluster does recognize the usb when I plug one in but says no 22923964.bin found. I might have to call the acdelcotds helpdesk on Monday. I did turn off my antivirus and windows firewall with no luck. Thank you for the advise i've received so far.

#21 ·
Fat32 is what you want. I used a 15GB USB 3.0 flash drive. The bin files are small, less than 30MB in total. There are four bin files.

The files I used are: 23108359.bin, 231083361.bin, 23210046.bin, 907993304.bin, and a file called indication.16005619

I can send them to you. PM me.

#32 ·
Fat32 is what you want. I used a 15GB USB 3.0 flash drive. The bin files are small, less than 30MB in total. There are four bin files.

The files I used are: 23108359.bin, 231083361.bin, 23210046.bin, 907993304.bin, and a file called indication.16005619

I can send them to you. PM me.
Could you please send me the bin files for the cluster programming?
Thanks
Glen

#24 ·
Yes I did.
When you are in SPS and go into instrument (cluster) make sure you select the 1st step and insert a thumb drive onto laptop. I was caught up in a circle trying to perform step 2 as SPS thinks step 1 has been completed.
In the menu, highlight step 1 and this will download the correct bin file from AC delco, then continue with step 2 in inserting the thumb drive onto special cable in instrument cluster.
Good luck, but it should work.