GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to locate a brandy interior color scheme in my area. I think my preference would be black since the brandy looks kind of bright on many web photos. For those that have it (or have seen it), how does it look in real life??? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have not been able to locate a brandy interior color scheme in my area. I think my preference would be black since the brandy looks kind of bright on many web photos. For those that have it (or have seen it), how does it look in real life??? Thanks.
In real life it is 100% better than the black. It is not only not bright, it gives the car a much more luxurious look/feel. If I couldn't find a brandy interior I might not have bought the car. The black is not only drab, but it makes the interior of an already small car look even smaller.

My assessment is that lower end car makers think that black interiors are "high-end". And I guess compared to flat gray cloth it is. What they fail to realize is that luxury makers have long ago moved on from black interiors. Look at any high-end BMW/MB and you will find Brandy colored interiors are common.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The Brandy/Black interior is very attractive. The lighter color brandy leather may require more frequent cleaning with a good leather/vinyl cleaner. The main issue with the Brandy/Black interior is that the Volt's interior designers applied the two color treatment to include most of the dashboard cover area. This creates visible reflections in the windshield. There are threads on the forum that cover this is detail. One fix is to wear polarized sunglasses to suppress the dashboard reflection in the windshield. In my experience this works quite well but I still had a problem with the reflection in the evening hours before it was completely dark. My solution was to order a custom fitted Dashmat dashboard cover for my Volt. The Dashmat lays over the dashboard surface and is a black fabric. The only remaining reflections are from the defroster vents located at the bottom of the windshield. The defroster vents are black plastic so that reflection would be there regardless of the interior color scheme.

I have driven multiple Volts as dealer loaner vehicles, most recently I drove a 2018 Volt Premier with a black interior for 4 days. I never noticed any reflection on the windshield of the loaner vehicle with the black dashboard color but on my own Volt the lighter colored dashboard causes a reflection that was/is very distracting to me, hence the Dashmat.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The only complaint I've heard is that my kids wish the two tone was applied to the rear doors similar to the front doors :)

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I really like it, it seems more upscale than all black and after 15 months still looks like new.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I really like my brandy interior. There is some glare on sunny days, but decent sunglasses (which I would be wearing anyway when it's sunny) take care of it.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
When I was shopping for my Volt, I gave the dealership three exterior colors to look for but insisted on the brandy interior.

I would prefer a slightly darker brown, but I much preferred Brandy over anything else available on the Volt.

FWIW, I don't notice the light brown reflecting on the windshield when wearing sunglasses, but it is noticeable when I first get in the car.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We love brandy leather in our Encore. I can't imagine buying a new car without it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I looked at a iridescent pearl white one with the brandy interior and thought it looked more elegant and classy but I went with a kinetic blue with black inside, I thought it seemed more sporty and I wanted sporty. Plus the blue one had ACC ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a siren red '17 with the brandy interior. The black Volts looks more dramatic with the brandy interior--more contrast. Depending on the exterior color, you may want the black interior (I actually now think red/black would have been better--but too late!).

I don't notice any issue with glare, and actually like that from the outside of the car you can see the two-tone brandy (just my preference).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Kind of lame that GM didn't put the black headliner with the black leather interior, but instead with the brandy.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I like ours a lot. It looks great with white, black, red, and blue exteriors. (Though for 2018 it is NLA with red or blue.). Every few months I do a quick wipe with a Meguiars leather wipe to clean off blue jeans dye, and that is it. On the dash, it really brings out the “dual cowl” design - which is shared with a lot of classic Chevys. (E.g., look at any Corvette from 1958 onward.)

One slight disadvantage is that the shift knob is blue, so doesn’t match.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kind of lame that GM didn't put the black headliner with the black leather interior, but instead with the brandy.
So I guess i didn't realize that. Is the headliner black with the brand interior but some other color (Grey?) with the black interior?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
So I guess i didn't realize that. Is the headliner black with the brand interior but some other color (Grey?) with the black interior?
2017 Volt Premier, summit white/olympic white (white) with brandy and black leather interior here. The headliner is charcoal grey fabric.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
For 2018 and premier trim, brandy interior is only available with iridescent pearl exterior. What about 2017? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
For 2018 and premier trim, brandy interior is only available with iridescent pearl exterior. What about 2017? Anyone know?
For 2017 it was available with Grey and Pepperdust as well. For 2016 I believe it was also available with Blue. What this really shows is that GM was determined to sell fewer cars by providing less desirable choices year over year :(

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I wonder if it's only showing that combination available on order because there was a black exterior/brandy interior 2018 near my house. You might be able to find an '18 with more brandy options out in the wild. I believe they discontinued the blue/brandy for '18.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Siren red w/brandy was available in early 17 but I believe it was discontinued later in the model year. I had to track mine down in another state.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts