GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you install your charger at home, take a look at what a separate 60A sub-panel set-up looks like. This allows for a second future charger....

http://youtu.be/cytL4UthasQ

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Before you install your charger at home, take a look at what a separate 60A sub-panel set-up looks like. This allows for a second future charger....

http://youtu.be/cytL4UthasQ

MrEnergyCzar
Nice video. That is certainly one way to set up the charger. However... I think I might want to set up the panel for dual 30 or 40 amp EVSE's. My Volt lease is ends in 3 years. The next EV I get may need a substantially higher capacity EVSE for a larger battery. (Just a thought.)

My setup has a dedicated 30 amp circuit run back to a separate sub panel that is fed by a dedicated TOU meter. So my ChargePoint CT500 is on it's own dedicated meter with it's own separate bill. I can charge for only 3.5 cents per kWh after 8:00pm.

There are a lot of ways to set up an EVSE system... These are a few excellent choices.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice video. That is certainly one way to set up the charger. However... I think I might want to set up the panel for dual 30 or 40 amp EVSE's. My Volt lease is ends in 3 years. The next EV I get may need a substantially higher capacity EVSE for a larger battery. (Just a thought.)

My setup has a dedicated 30 amp circuit run back to a separate sub panel that is fed by a dedicated TOU meter. So my ChargePoint CT500 is on it's own dedicated meter with it's own separate bill. I can charge for only 3.5 cents per kWh after 8:00pm.

There are a lot of ways to set up an EVSE system... These are a few excellent choices.
Are you on SCE or DWP? I was reading SCE's rate tables a few hours ago and my head still hurts.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My entire house has a 70A panel... Though it happens to be on the outside of the house in the garage about 3 feet from where my L2 EVSE is going.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I am on LADWP. I think LADWP has a far better incentive program than SCE. Also LADWP will reimburse up to $2,000 for an EVSE installation.
Yeah, just one more example of a public agency taking tax dollars and "user fees" and giving nothing of value back- end sarcasm!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had installed a 100 amp panel and ran two 50 amp circuits to the garage, one on each side. Currently I have only one Volt, but I assumed I will have another EV in the next year or so.
My house electric panel and service is 200 amp, so I probably could have added the car charger to the main panel, but I wanted to have a separate meter so I can enjoy PG&E's special EV rates.

I am still using the stock 110V charger on the beefy 50 amp circuits :).
I just didn't get around to buying a 240V charger, and after 2 months on this setup I may choose to wait a while before I get one, until they are more common and less expensive,
Because of the way the power company structure their rate planes, I end up saving $120 per months, just by having a separate meter and a separate "account". The installation, PGE meter, permits, etc., cost me $2,600, which will take 2 years to pay back, and the home is "EV future proof".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts