GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I have been in contact with a company called Krando, who make Android based replacement infotainment systems for cars.

Benefits ?
Especially for those without a my-link based system it brings things like :-
Bluetooth streaming audio and remote control (with full steering wheel integration)
Smartphone screen mirroring either Wired= Android only or Wireless = Apple and Android
Obviously the ability to install and run any app from the play store natively, from Google Maps/Waze to netflix
With the addition of an OBD blue tooth dongle you can run my green volt too.
And I don't see why it couldn't be used as a GPS tracker for your car (if you're into that sort of thing).

and support for a multitude of other features and functions like reversing cameras blind spot cameras etc.

As well as that cool Tesla style tablet in the dash effect

This chap on YouTube posted a fair review of one he fitted in his truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwWA7mxNxI

I asked them about bringing this system to our cars, as it stands despite the similarity of our OEM infotainment to the 2010~2015 Chevy Cruze infotainment ( which they already manufacture for) they aren't in a hurry, as there are only about 100,000 of our cars in existence V's around 1.5M Cruze's

That said if we can get to 500 pre-orders they will do it.

So I am here trying to gauge interest. I am also trying to get the manufacturer to reduce the number required as effectively Vs the model currently sold for the Cruze we only really need a new plastic trim with the Hazard/Emergency button, Seat heater buttons, Lock and unlock, Leaf and Drive mode and of course Vehicle Power. Otherwise the Cruze model should be a straight fit.

They typically cost about $450 but can go as low as around $300 when purchased in volume.

For those that don't want to replace their OEM capacitive button panel with a capacitive touch screen, I am also talking to the manufacturer about the 7" normal models that they sell. This would basically be a straight swap for the large (Double din) silver box that lives behind the volume dial and a replacement touchscreen to go with it.

Again the model they make for the Cruze should be a straight fit, however the Cruze does not have on-screen HVAC (it has hardware buttons) and so the whole HVAC control software screen (that is present in the 10.4" Tesla style screen) is missing from the 7" models. This would only be a software modification for them so I am waiting for them to get back to me regarding a preorder level to make it worth while (hopefully less than 500).

Disclaimer
I Don't work for Krando, I'm just a bloke who lives in London and loves his Gen 1 Vauxhall Ampera (UK version of the Volt) and would like more from the infotainment.

Let me know what you think

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think it's a good idea, but I'm concerned about the Volt specifically because all vehicle settings, including those related to charging and electrical usage, are all displayed in the center. I would only be interested if it retained 100% of the original functionality of the stock touchscreen. That includes a KwH per charge readout, power flow meter, and delayed charging programming. The only thing I would do without is the CD player. I don't think I've ever loaded a CD in it the entire time I've owned it.

Also, in the event I'd like to sell the car or have issues, it would have to be reversible. I don't want to splice wires or cut things to modify it.

Other than that I'd love more functionality in a touchscreen with less lag and a more refined interface than what's in the Volt from the factory.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's fair comment. I don't believe any splicing into the original loom is required. Regarding the power utilisation info, I believe my green volt has that covered, although I need to investigate further.

With regards to the charge start time, I will ask the manufacturer if that can be incorporated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as a follow on from my last post, I suppose those of you that really want to retain a CD/DVD drive (I also never use mine) could opt for the 7"version, as they all have optical drives

1 - 5 of 5 Posts