GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a warranty battery swap a month ago. After that the guess-o-meter has shown only 9.5 kWh when the ICE kicks in. Range is not bad - 70 km - but is this normal?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What did it say before? 2011 had a smaller capacity battery. Unsure if you have more capacity if the 2011 would need some updating to take advantage of it.

Also, after I had 2 sections of replaced in my 2013, it took a good month for it to "get to know" the new battery and start delivering the expected kWh.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
The 2011 Volt had no "kWh Used" display on the energy usage screen. Where are you seeing 9.5 kWh?
Besides that, the kWh Used display is an estimate, not a meter.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I had a warranty battery swap a month ago. After that the guess-o-meter has shown only 9.5 kWh when the ICE kicks in. Range is not bad - 70 km - but is this normal?

Do you know if the service dept performed the Battery Pack Capacity Learn procedure a month ago following replacement or had pushed updated calibration software onto your Gen1?

Commanding the capacity learn procedure resets the HPCM2 battery pack capacity hex code to the default value of 35Ah which 'forces' the HPCM2 to relearn the avail capacity of the replacement battery pack.

If the battery pack capacity learn procedure was performed on your Gen1 following replacement, it would then flag the HPCM2 data 'battery section replacement' under GDS2 as being 'successful'...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No explicit info on whether the learning procedure was done, but they said that since it is Volt and not the more common Ampera, they depended on step by step instructions from Detroi.t.

If it was skipped, will it learn by itself over time?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If it was skipped, will it learn by itself over time?
Yes, it should.
Be sure to let it sit for 1.5-2 hours when empty before plugging in, and after charge completes, to give it time to recalculate the actual SOC and discover it's not actually where it thought it was based on the normal empty/full.
This can take up to 10 full cycles, from others posting results of their attempts to recalibrate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts