GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife and I just leased our first domestic car two nights ago: 2016 Chevy Volt Premier with almost every option except the upgraded rims.

We did it through the Costco program.

The car had only 3 miles on it from the PDI until we test drove it.

We drove it home with no problems and very excited. Followed the instructions, plugged in the vehicle for charge in our Garage.

The next morning, not even 8 hours later, we started it up and it started "howling" (that's what the Service Advisor called the loud noise it made non-stop.

Also had the Check Engine Light and the Stabilitrak light was yellow and constantly on. The Stabilitrak light shut off later on that day, but the check engine light and loud fan howling noise did not.

volt_error.jpg

The vehicle was only operating in limp or service mode.

We hadn't even owned the car for 24 hours before our first set of issues. I immediately started questioning my purchase.

Aside from taking it to the local Chevy service advisor, I called Chevy Corporate to file a complaint. They are tracking this from their side as well.

Today is the first day they started working on the car.

So far, not a great experience but I hope it was something small that can be fixed permanently.

Anyone else out there have this same issue with the Generation 2 2016 Chevy Volt?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Update:

Service Advisor stated root cause was a bad "Knock Sensor"

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Not unusual for a day-zero defect to happen. Happens in all types of products. I'm usually a little luckier than this though.

Hope they fix it the first time. Invoking lemon-law is a PITA.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
647 Posts
I have had 3 check engine lights, although the last 2 are probably related to the repair of the first one. GM wanted my transmission back due to a code throw inside the tranny that can't be serviced in the field. I am in Florida for winter and although local dealer can't sell these cars they have looked after the repairs very well. The Chevy cares Twitter account flows me and picked up on the tranny change and was involved to make sure I got looked after. This is a new redesigned VOlt and as early adopters we can expect some issues plus some software updates. Not unique to domestic cars, have heard lots of issues on foreign cars in their first generation cars. At least you don't have to wait 5 years for a new airbag like some Honda owners......that is real serious stuff
Wife and I just leased our first domestic car two nights ago: 2016 Chevy Volt Premier which almost every option except the upgraded rims.

We did it through the Costco program.

The car had only 3 miles on it from the PDI until we test drove it.

We drove it home with no problems and very excited. Followed the instructions, plugged in the vehicle for charge in our Garage.

The next morning, not even 8 hours later, we started it up and it started "howling" (that's what the Service Advisor called the loud noise it made non-stop.

Also had the Check Engine Light and the Stabilitrak light was yellow and constantly on. The Stabilitrak light shut off later on that day, but the check engine light and loud fan howling noise did not.

View attachment 96209

The vehicle was only operating in limp or service model.

We hadn't even owned the car for 24 hours before our first set of issues. I immediately started questioning my purchase.

Aside from taking it to the local Chevy service advisor, I called Chevy Corporate to file a complaint. They are tracking this from their side as well.

Today is the first day they started working on the car.

So far, not a great experience but I hope it was something small that can be fixed permanently.

Anyone else out there have this same issue with the Generation 2 2016 Chevy Volt?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a call back from the service advisor earlier today. He said root cause was a bad "Knock Sensor".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Like with the Gen 1 Volts, many early "infant mortality" type issues will arise - not necessarily with any one vehicle. Dealer technical incompetence (usually due to the lack of properly trained resources) will worsen the situation. Hang in there, you will relearn to love the car, perhaps even several times :)

Your best resource will be you Volt "Advisor", and GM TAC (contacted by your service center). I suggest you establish contact with your "Advisor", they will build your case/file and coordinate with incompetent dealers/tech/service manager - make it their problem, not yours. I speak from considerable experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like with the Gen 1 Volts, many early "infant mortality" type issues will arise - not necessarily with any one vehicle. Dealer technical incompetence (usually due to the lack of properly trained resources) will worsen the situation. Hang in there, you will relearn to love the car, perhaps even several times :)

Your best resource will be you Volt "Advisor", and GM TAC (contacted by your service center). I suggest you establish contact with your "Advisor", they will build your case/file and coordinate with incompetent dealers/tech/service manager - make it their problem, not yours. I speak from considerable experience.
Thank you, Hank101. I too hope its a one-off and the issue. There is just so much to love about the car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You need to talk to your Volt adviser and get the whole story. A knock sensor is on the gas engine. If you plugged in the car over night it would start in electric mode with no gas engine.
For others buying a new Volt, part of your delivery procedure should be to get out and open the hood. The gas engine will start and you can listen to how it sounds. If you pick up a Volt and it has no charge on the battery, run it in Mountain mode for a few minutes to charge the battery. Volt has two propulsion systems. You want to make sure both work. When I pick up a new iPhone I have sales go thru all the features and I have sent some back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AtomicPowered - That makes sense. I will get more details and post updates as I learn them.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Welcome to driving a Server farm on Wheels...:rolleyes:

Like AtomicPowered said...if you charged your car overnight why was your ICE running?

Is your hood not properly closed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hood was properly closed.

Service Advisor told me that whenever the check engine light comes on in this car, it will NEVER use the battery (even though it was charged) and will default to the engine.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Defects happen, bring it to the dealer for service and see what they say...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
that "we will cut 10,000.00 off the price" is showing up more and more. i wish you guys luck but there are many problems showing up for a car that has been in development for 4 years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Regarding the Check engine light--not true that the car won't use solely the battery if that light is illuminated. On Gen 1, that light could also signal a a variety of things. In 2 cases for me, a fault on a public Chargepoint charger was enough to set off the Check Engine Light. After 5 successful charge cycles, the Check engine light switched off on its own. I was running on EV mode during the whole time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

The fixed/replaced the bad knock sensor.

Advisor went to charge my car for me.

Advisor noticed that the car would not use the battery charge and kept switching to gas even though it has a charge.

:(

Will update findings as I learn them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Chevy Volt Engineering team are coming out to look at my vehicle.

I have asked Chevy to provide me with a permanent brand new replacement vehicle with CA Green HOV tags.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update:

Chevy is now sending a software update to my car. That will take 4-hours.

Then technicians will test to see if that did the job.

If not, they have to order and replace the throttle body system.

I have only had the car in my possession for 16-hours from purchase. It has been with the service technicians 7x longer than in my possession.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
Curious when you say they're sending a software update, you mean they're sending it to the technicians? Why does that take four hours?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts