GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some discussion of late about customer goodwill and brand loyalty.
And this shown below drives home the importance of these concepts.

Here is Toyota selling the most plug in hybrids, even though it is not best in class.
Toyota Prius Prime Was U.S.’ #1 Selling Plug-In Hybrid In 2018
https://insideevs.com/toyota-prius-prime-u-s-1-selling-plug-hybrid-2018/

Telsa, highest customer loyalty of all brands.
Tesla Has The Highest Customer Loyalty Of All Car Brands
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/09/tesla-has-the-highest-customer-loyalty-of-all-car-brands/

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tesla and Apple are both full of fanboys.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think a lot of 'loyalty' is actually positive experience over an extended time - It's too early to tell about some of the newer EV's on the market right now

I've got two Mitsubishi BEV's which have been as trouble-free as anything with 4 wheels could possibly be for the past 7 years. These weren't my first Mitsu's and I would definitely buy another one of their products

Don

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have a Volt and I just picked up a Spark EV. I'll probably be adding a Bolt in the future.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have no particular brand loyalty... I buy whatever is the best and most suitable at the time I need it...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I have no particular brand loyalty... I buy whatever is the best and most suitable at the time I need it...
Me too. may the best man win.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As we all know, once you go EV, it's hard to go back; and for Tesla, until of late, there really wasn't much to choose from besides Tesla, so that 80% loyalty rate will be tested in the next couple years as Jaguar, Porsche, VW, Audi, Merc all add to the competition.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don’t have brand loyalty, I do have anti brand loyalty. I’ll never own a GM or ford again. And it’s actually really easy to go back to gas. I’ve done it twice.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Brand loyalty is the Achilles Tendon (Heel) in Mary Barra's plans to dump GM's low end sedans. The vast majority of drivers will never change car brands (they'll change within a brand family such as Chevy to Buick to GMC) once they find a car they like. Without the low end vehicles GM will lose this pipeline to their higher end and more profitable vehicles.

As for EVs, why should they be exempt from brand loyalty?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don’t have brand loyalty, I do have anti brand loyalty. I’ll never own a GM or ford again. And it’s actually really easy to go back to gas. I’ve done it twice.
don't forget led headlights.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Personally I think brand loyalty is dumb. There is no one manufacturer who makes the best vehicle in all segments. Heck, no one even makes the best vehicle in one segment every year.
Between my wife and I, we've owned 1 chevy, 1 toyota, 1 suzuki, 1 ford, 1 scion and 1 nissan.
When I shop for a vehicle I look for whoever makes the best vehicle I can afford in the particular segment I'm looking for.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Personally I think brand loyalty is dumb. There is no one manufacturer who makes the best vehicle in all segments. Heck, no one even makes the best vehicle in one segment every year.
Between my wife and I, we've owned 1 chevy, 1 toyota, 1 suzuki, 1 ford, 1 scion and 1 nissan.
When I shop for a vehicle I look for whoever makes the best vehicle I can afford in the particular segment I'm looking for.
Agreed. As a mechanic I despised GM vehicles for decades, still do. But they make mechanics lots of money.... however I was looking for primarily fuel efficiency due to a new job that had an hour commute each way. Started looking at small diesels that lead to checking out a Cruze and learned the Volt was a hybrid with good all electric range .... research showed me the tech and quality appeared better than most GM stuff. A big thanks to this forum for that. So here I am, driving a GM. At least I own my own tow truck just in case.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have no brand loyalty, I buy what I want when I want it. I do have two brands I won't buy from, Ford and Infiniti. Ford because my 2013 Mustang was such a disappointment that I did not keep it a year and Infiniti because of dealer issues.

That out of the way I would look at a GM EV in the future when technology improves but will obviously give a nod to Tesla first. I don't expect GM to actually have anything then in the price range I am willing to pay because of the recent announcement that Cadillac will lead the EV charge in GM. Combine that with the recent ending of smaller cars tells me GM has no interest in that space currently and the Bolt is an aberration to them. They need more credits and the PR of beating Tesla and that was all they seem to have wanted from that platform. I am really curious what the mid cycle refresh for it will be and when.

I have owned two VWs, three Mazda, one each of Dodge, Infiniti, Nissan, Ford, BMW, and Chevrolet. I am really interested in what VW plans to do, they indicated that they really intend to make a leap with current interior styling and such and they might strike a good compromise between stodgy old cars and where Tesla took the TM3; now I have no real issues with the TM3 interior but there are some minor things I would change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts