GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to fill the completely depleted gas. I got the car to a station and filled it, only to find the Charing System Light (12v) was illuminated and the car would not start. As I tried and failed to Initialize, it would tell me various systems were shutting down. A dashboard full of warning lights came up and the car went into Battery Saver Mode. I jumped the battery and got the car to initialize (by holding down the Power Button for 5sec, opening and closing the door, then pressing the Power Button + break). Thankfully the car started and I got it home! All the various warning lights went away with the exception of these:

BRAKE
Antilock Break System
StabiliTrak

When I start the car, it also tells me StabiliTrak is disabled. I can tell the breaks aren't breaking hard enough and I've been using the Regenerative Brakes instead. Does anyone know what could be going on here?

All the breaks were working fine before I ran out of gas on that fateful day.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Sounds like you caught a tough brake on the breaks...

What year is the car?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'm assuming that the OP is the second owner of an older Volt. Posting the year and mileage in this forum is always a plus!

I'm going to second dannycamps suggestion that it is the AUX 12 volt battery that has aged to the point where replacement would definitely be beneficial to the proper operation of the OP's Volt.

·
Registered
122 Posts
All sorts of bizarre things can happen when the 12v battery is failing. I'd start by having that tested and replace it if it's bad. It's vastly less likely that something just happened to go wrong with your brakes at the same exact time you had to jump start the car.

Since the Volt doesn't have a traditional starter motor, a marginal battery can turn the car on for a lot longer than one in an ICE vehicle. And you don't get slow cranking or any other sort of warning to let you know that the battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
617 Posts
1. Check/load test 12V battery.
2. Check codes to see if you actually have a code from a failed wheel sensor (which would cause the lights you have).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm assuming that the OP is the second owner of an older Volt. Posting the year and mileage in this forum is always a plus!

I'm going to second dannycamps suggestion that it is the AUX 12 volt battery that has aged to the point where replacement would definitely be beneficial to the proper operation of the OP's Volt.
+1

When that 12V battery begins to fail, the car generates all kinds of errors, none of which point to the battery.

The 12V is not a standard lead acid battery (FLA - Flooded Lead Acid). Instead it is an AGM (Acid Glass Matt) battery - these require somewhat different charging. Putting an FLA in its place will work... for a while, but the car is cooking the battery and you will get a short lifetime from that battery (months, not years).

The AGM replacement at a reputable shop will be about $200-$250.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My service center had me do a hard reboot (both scroll wheels depressed while holding brake pedal down until Tesla logo appears on screen). They then had me turn power off on the screen and wait two minutes before doing anything in the car (any action such as opening a door will wake the car up). This stopped the regular occurrence but I have had it repeat once since. I’m pretty sure mine is software related but I would call the service center if I were you and note this. They will probably have you do something similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts