GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings knowledgeable Volterati,

Can anyone identify the intended origin (or destination) of cables in the attached photo? While gathering recycling, I allowed a beer can (Belching Beaver's delicious 'Phantom Bride' IPA) to roll under my 2013 and, in the midst of its retrieval, was distressed to find two un-moored ground cables looking at me.

My first thought was that an aero/skid-plate belonged there and had abandoned ship, but reading this forum leads me to believe my 2013 shouldn't have a plate in that location (photo from driver's side, roughly between front/back doors). This frightens me, as the next thought was a thief had stolen the catalyst, a fate which recently befell two F250s (one twice!) among my employer's fleet (~$3K ea.). My Volt's exhaust, fortunately, appears intact. Thanks for any insights!

Automotive tire Finger Automotive exterior Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are them! -I have yet to jack up my Volt, but I can feel the holes in whatever it is those bolts pulled out of. I guess they bottomed-out on a rock or other road debris. What was the resolution to the half-torn out bolts on the vehicle in your photo? Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those are them! -I have yet to jack up my Volt, but I can feel the holes in whatever it is those bolts pulled out of. I guess they bottomed-out on a rock or other road debris. What was the resolution to the half-torn out bolts on the vehicle in your photo? Thanks!
No idea what they are for, but you can see the holes they came out of in your photo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm willing to bet that properly functioning grounds are needed to keep the electronics in the car running in a normal state.

In G1 Hondas, bad grounding is the cause of all sort of problems from numerous error codes to just not running. In fact, many issues were solved simply by replacing corroded/broken grounds and being sure the 12v battery was up to snuff!

Reactions: wildbiologist

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm very much motivated to restore the function of these ground straps, which may be are likely very important. Their presence suggests to me there's a non-conductive material (composite?), perhaps beneath the high-voltage battery, otherwise the steel bolts and unibody wouldn't require a cable to maintain a continuous ground.

Thanks, @Bushpilot, for pointing out that the ripped-out holes were visible in my photo. Both ends of the ground cable appear to attach to steel (i.e., magnetic and conductive), and the forward end of the cable looks to have identical connectors to the ripped out ends on the rear panel. It seems like the welds and through-bolts ought to provide electrical continuity across those panels, but GM must have had a reason for the additional ground straps. I appreciate any insights!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts