GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided that our family needs to get rid of the Chrysler Grand Voyager (Town & Country) due to multiplying minor issues and maintenance costs of the 150000 mile beat up car. Although the engine and transmission was in great shape the other functionality was rapidly degenerating. DVD was broken, some of the cup holders were broken, sun shade lock clips were broken, automatic door open was broken, brakes were near dead again, etc., etc.

So it was time to head out to car shops and do test drives. Having a Volt meant hitting the electric/plugin/hybrid market first and so we tested/considered..

Renault Zoe - It's electric and tiny as matchbox cars
Kia Niro Plug-In - It's ok'ish if the kids don't have legs
Hyndai Ioniq PHEV - Half the Volt and even more compact. Transmission as smooth as a rasp
Hyndai Ioniq Hybrid - Like is't sibling bumps along the road, with 6l/100km real consumption (39mpg)
VW Golf GTE - For people who want to listen engine sounds through loudspeakers
Opel Ampera-e - Um.. Canned, binned and will not be available
Opel Ampera Gen2 - Um.. Canned, binned and will not be available
Opel Ampera (used) - It's a Gen1 Volt and doesn't have seats for all
Prius PHEV - It's a copy of Gen1 Volt and doesn't have seats for all
Prius (and other derivates) - Luxury and looks are overrated, consumption underrated
Volvo/BMW/Porche/MB/etc - If they come with five bedrooms I'll consider
Leaf 40kWh - available later, more battery available even more later
Tesla Model 3 - actually available on next decade with current queue

So it was time to check traditional ICE cars and after thorough search we found a winner..

Peugeot 5008 with a 1.6 liter diesel ICE without any mention of hybrid, plugs or otherwise

Pro's:
- Seats 7 when needed
- Seats 5 + equipment comfortably with adequate leg room in the second row
- Costs less to drive than Gen1 Volt in our case (5l/100km Diesel (47mpg) vs 3l/100km (78mpg) Gas + Electricity)
- Does 1000+km (650 miles+) on single fill up
- About 70% of the price of the Gen1 Volt I got
- ACC, automatic LED lights, etc.
- Looks like a decent car
- Handles the icy roads smoothly

Cons:
- Extra 500$ yearly diesel tax
- Reliability of any Peugeot is a concern, we'll prepare to switch at end of warranty

So all in all, we got a decent looking and cheap to drive family hauler with enough thingymabooms to run for next three years until the warranty runs out. After the gas savings the extra cost of new car comes down to 1500$/year, not including the maintenance of the old one and the known mandatory fixes would have costed around 1500$ + 500$ for a new set of winter tires.

All in all, I would say that EVs/Plug-ins are not yet there for the family hauler side in Europe*. On tech and range side nothing compares to Volt at the moment and all the realistic price tag cars are way too small for anything other than commuting to work. Let's see on next decade, when the 3 year warranty runs out, if things have moved forward. Currently I see everything moving backwards.

* = In US you can get the Pacifica Hybrid and that would be a an interesting one for us.

P.S. Never though that we'd buy a Peugeot :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Thanks for the post, KNI, and Happy New Year!

Do you think that you will have a problem with ice/snow covering the headlights (no heat from incandescent bulbs providing heat to melt ice/snow)?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
So it was time to check traditional ICE cars and after thorough search we found a winner..

Peugeot 5008 with a 1.6 liter diesel ICE without any mention of hybrid, plugs or otherwise

Pro's:
- Seats 7 when needed
- Seats 5 + equipment comfortably with adequate leg room in the second row
- Costs less to drive than Gen1 Volt in our case (5l/100km Diesel (47mpg) vs 3l/100km (78mpg) Gas + Electricity)
- Does 1000+km (650 miles+) on single fill up
- About 70% of the price of the Gen1 Volt I got
- ACC, automatic LED lights, etc.
- Looks like a decent car
- Handles the icy roads smoothly

Cons:
- Extra 500$ yearly diesel tax
- Reliability of any Peugeot is a concern, we'll prepare to switch at end of warranty

So all in all, we got a decent looking and cheap to drive family hauler with enough thingymabooms to run for next three years until the warranty runs out. After the gas savings the extra cost of new car comes down to 1500$/year, not including the maintenance of the old one and the known mandatory fixes would have costed around 1500$ + 500$ for a new set of winter tires.
Looks to be in same class as the diesel Equinox. Hope your Peugeot does well.
A bit of humor:
"No one designs cars like the French — though many would say that’s a good thing. Uniquely styled, mechanically complex, and (sometimes) rewarding to drive, French cars are an experience like no other."

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Is Honda Clarity PHEV available in Europe? Love ours and makes a great family hauler with its large rear seat and trunk. Gets about 5.6 L/100 km on petrol and 75 km per charge.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't say what color. 7-passenger is some serious family hauling capacity.
What an horrible car you have found. Our's is gray and bit diffent looking.

You can find some propaganda and tech details from below, although our's is not GT model. Reason for that is that we do not need the 19" wheels but prefer the more comfortable 17" tires and the diesel tax for 112g/km CO2 is few steps lower than the 124g/km on the GT model.

http://www.caricos.com/cars/p/peugeot/2017_peugeot_5008_gt/

What comes to the headlights, I have not seen any snow buildup issues either in headlights nor the backlights. I don't know if those are heated or not, but at least the windshield, back window, mirrors and steering wheels are heated. And we do have a back install of the block heater in next month. A remote start heater would have been an option, but would have required a factory order and half year delivery so we took what was available on the plot as we can "plug-in" to warm the car from power switch inside the house :)

https://www.defa.com/electrical-preheating/

·
Registered
79 Posts
OP - we just bought a Pacifica Hybrid Plug-in three weeks ago, and are still on our first 1/8th of a tank of gas!!! It's an absolutely wonderful ride, although the EV portion of it isn't quite as configurable/advanced as the Voltec system it's quite likely based on. We're getting near 40 miles/charge, and on gas it delivered ~36MPG from Napa down to the South SF Bay. Bravo! We picked up a fully loaded to the gills 2018 Limited for ~$44k (~$48k MSRP), which becomes less than $35k after tax incentives and various rebates. If you get the opportunity on your side of the pond to pick one up, you won't be disappointed. We bought this also to replace our Town & Country as a daily driver, but are keeping that old beast to shuttle crap around that would end up dirtying/scratching/stinking up the Pacifica:) Anyway, we're planning to move back to Europe in 2 years, and will be bringing our Pacifica with us if we can't buy one over there. And the Volt also. And my pretty yellow gas-guzzling 6-speed convertible Corvette:) See you soon!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A LOT different looking from what comes up first on Google images.
Yup. They did total redesign and scrapped the old model, took the better looking 3008 and put 10 inch more length (8 for wheelbase) and there you have it. A 3008 with leg room :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP - we just bought a Pacifica Hybrid Plug-in three weeks ago, and are still on our first 1/8th of a tank of gas!!! It's an absolutely wonderful ride, although the EV portion of it isn't quite as configurable/advanced as the Voltec system it's quite likely based on. We're getting near 40 miles/charge, and on gas it delivered ~36MPG from Napa down to the South SF Bay. Bravo! We picked up a fully loaded to the gills 2018 Limited for ~$44k (~$48k MSRP), which becomes less than $35k after tax incentives and various rebates. If you get the opportunity on your side of the pond to pick one up, you won't be disappointed. We bought this also to replace our Town & Country as a daily driver, but are keeping that old beast to shuttle crap around that would end up dirtying/scratching/stinking up the Pacifica:) Anyway, we're planning to move back to Europe in 2 years, and will be bringing our Pacifica with us if we can't buy one over there. And the Volt also. And my pretty yellow gas-guzzling 6-speed convertible Corvette:) See you soon!
I've been really interested on the Pacifica Hybrid and been following it's release and progress. Been lurking on the Pacifica forums also.

I did ask Fiat Europe if they are planning to bring it Europe with Fiat/Lancia/Dodge/Whatever badge, but their replies can be summarized to "We do not currently have any plans for introducing Pacifica to Europe". So unless someone flips on the top chairs, they will be happily producing the minicars for the city folk only.

There is option to ship a Pacifica to Europe, but with a dealer, transport, tax and all else it would cost more than a new Tesla Model X. So moving car option, as with you is nearly the only option to get with decent price. Unfortunately I've not gotten a one+ year gig from US to do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts