GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, move this to the intro thread, I did it wrong.

I already installed an amazon basics 32amp charger and a new 40 amp circuit just because all the charger reviews I found were so mixed and only the really expensive and over the top capability chargers got good reviews. the amazon basics was so new it didn't have any negative reviews yet. I got this for 397 and change after taxes but it looks like it's up to 504+ now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKW5X89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It charges from midnight to 5ish on the off-off-peak 9cents/kwh rate here in San Diego/SDGE.

Been driving it 40 miles each way during the week, often switching to hold mode on the freeway and optimizing my eMPGs for city/stoplights. I don't know if that will change when traffic gets bad on the freeways again.
So I use all the electric 5 days a week and often use about 20-30 miles worth of gas ~half a gallon? It's great. I was getting 29mpg maybe in my 2016 Cruze before this. How does everyone else prioritize it?

I LOVE the sport mode, I use it on weekends and other work from home type days, when I doubt I will drive 45 miles that day.

I don't like that it locks when I leave it in the garage and won't let me leave the key in it, but that's probably a good thing.
I listen to audiobooks and I am not a fan of how sometimes I get in and the book starts playing but I don't hear it over the bluetooth.
I don't like when I push radio (after being on media) and it flips to AM even though I had it on FM previously.
And I haven't been able to get any software to update. Can' get it connected to my wifi at home for some reason. About to go out there and try again though and maybe solve these other problems^^

I took it in yesterday for our first oil change together and they also handled the recall for the rubbing/scraping drive belt issue that I luckily didn't have.

I need two new tires and two new wiper blades. But I think we're gonna be just fine.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Only a Chevrolet dealer that services Volt vehicles can apply software updates to the 2017 Volt. If there is any way you can charge while at work then your weekday commute would be 100% electric. In general it is more efficient to let the Volt run on gas on the highway. If possible let the gas engine run long enough to fully warm up (this takes 10 to 12 miles of highway driving) to meet or exceed the EPA fuel economy rating of 42 MPG combined city/highway and use electric mode for local street driving at lower speeds (your MPGe while using battery be higher because of the lower speed driving. Alternately you can just drive and the Volt will automatically switch to gas on the last part of your return trip. You can experiment with different uses of the EV mode and Hold Mode to learn if it makes any difference in the MPG and MPGe. FYI Sport Mode only remaps the throttle, the power is the same in Normal and Sport Mode. Sport Mode does not affect steering, braking or suspension firmness.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Following up on your usage pattern, the warm up cycle is where the ICE is most inefficient. You may see lower fuel consumption by going all electric to work, and and letting the ICE handle most of the trip home. That way you go from two ICE warm up cycles to one.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Been driving it 40 miles each way during the week, often switching to hold mode on the freeway and optimizing my eMPGs for city/stoplights. I don't know if that will change when traffic gets bad on the freeways again.
So I use all the electric 5 days a week and often use about 20-30 miles worth of gas ~half a gallon? It's great. I was getting 29mpg maybe in my 2016 Cruze before this. How does everyone else prioritize it?
Sounds to me like your work location is about 40 miles from home, and each day you rack up around 20-30 gas miles, and the rest (~50-60 miles) are electric.

If the daily round trip commute is beyond battery range and on relatively flat terrain (i.e., downhill regen isn’t part of the fuel considerations), with no opportunity to charge until you return home, then the daily fuel consumption is one full charge (a relatively fixed quantity), plus whatever gas is used to complete the drive. That suggests the object of choosing a driving technique for the daily commute should be to minimize the trip’s Gas Used, not to maximize the ev miles.

If one direction of the commute can be achieved on one full charge, then it seems wise to use gas in only one direction so the engine only has to "warm up" once. Drive to work on battery, drive home on battery/gas. If the terrain is relatively level and you’re only driving 20-30 gas miles on the way home, you have a choice of driving in Normal and letting the car switch to gas when it will, or using Hold Mode early in the drive home in an attempt to save the remaining battery for slow speed driving and use gas in good gas mileage driving conditions. Does using Hold Mode on the way home instead of just letting the car do its thing really reduce the trip’s total gas consumption by more than 0.10 gallons daily, or less than a half gallon per week? Is it worth the bother?

A work site that is 40 miles from home likely has a choice of routes to and from work. Some of the routes may be longer, but at slower speeds, which could increase the number of Electric Miles driven on the full charge. You may, for example, arrive at work with more battery power remaining for the trip home... or, on the way home, the slower route may get you closer to home before switching to gas. Fewer Gas Miles remaining means less Gas Used.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ej9erfan,

I would call SDG&E and get your rate reduced. I live in IB and I just got it reduced to 5 cents a Kwhr from 12:00 am to 6:00 am

Stephen
Sorry, move this to the intro thread, I did it wrong.

I already installed an amazon basics 32amp charger and a new 40 amp circuit just because all the charger reviews I found were so mixed and only the really expensive and over the top capability chargers got good reviews. the amazon basics was so new it didn't have any negative reviews yet. I got this for 397 and change after taxes but it looks like it's up to 504+ now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKW5X89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It charges from midnight to 5ish on the off-off-peak 9cents/kwh rate here in San Diego/SDGE.

I LOVE the sport mode, I use it on weekends and other work from home type days, when I doubt I will drive 45 miles that day.

I don't like that it locks when I leave it in the garage and won't let me leave the key in it, but that's probably a good thing.
I listen to audiobooks and I am not a fan of how sometimes I get in and the book starts playing but I don't hear it over the bluetooth.
I don't like when I push radio (after being on media) and it flips to AM even though I had it on FM previously.
And I haven't been able to get any software to update. Can' get it connected to my wifi at home for some reason. About to go out there and try again though and maybe solve these other problems^^

I took it in yesterday for our first oil change together and they also handled the recall for the rubbing/scraping drive belt issue that I luckily didn't have.

I need two new tires and two new wiper blades. But I think we're gonna be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That suggests the object of choosing a driving technique for the daily commute should be to minimize the trip’s Gas Used, not to maximize the ev miles.
Well said, thank you. Yes, after seeing this post I have tried driving in a much more conservative manner. My one way is 29 miles, the past 2 days the car tells me I have 52 to 53 EV miles available, and after arriving at work I still have 30. Yesterday I was unable to return home on EV, but I will keep trying. My trials have been attempts to stay in right 2 lanes on highway and drive 55-65 as long as I am not pissing anyone off. If I can't master this (while I wait for a normal world of stop and go traffic on highway here in SD), I will shift to city street for a larger portion of the drive.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Well said, thank you. Yes, after seeing this post I have tried driving in a much more conservative manner. My one way is 29 miles, the past 2 days the car tells me I have 52 to 53 EV miles available, and after arriving at work I still have 30. Yesterday I was unable to return home on EV, but I will keep trying. My trials have been attempts to stay in right 2 lanes on highway and drive 55-65 as long as I am not pissing anyone off. If I can't master this (while I wait for a normal world of stop and go traffic on highway here in SD), I will shift to city street for a larger portion of the drive.
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to maximize your EV range. Other than limiting your highway driving to 60 mph or less there are some other things you can do to extend your range.

1) Check your tire pressure, be sure your tires are at least at the pressure specified on the sticker of the driver's door B pillar.

2) Precondition the cabin while still plugged in before you leave home. As you start out on your morning commute run only the HVAC fan and use the electric heated seats and steering wheel (if equipped) for the first 15 minutes, then pulse the electric heat a few times if you need to for the remainder of the trip. Turn off cabin air recirculation to minimize fogging the windshield.

3) Keep the exterior clean, this simple step will improve your range. (Mythbusters proved that a dirty vehicle gets worse MPG than one that is clean.) Don't carry any unnecessary weight in the Volt.

4) As the temperature drops you will probably observe a loss of 25% of your EV range even before accounting for any use of the electric heat. That's the effect of cold weather on the battery chemistry. The electrically heated seats and steering wheel use a trivial amount of energy so dress warmly and rely on a coat, hat and gloves plus the heated seats to stay warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts