GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker and decided to finally join in the fray of being a more involved Volt Owner. I recently got a new job where my commute went from 25 miles to 40 miles one way. I had a 2014 Honda CRV at the time and decided that it would probably be better to sell it / not use it due to the amount of gas that would be consumed in addition to NOT paying for tolls to get to work quickly.

I found the Volt to be the best option for electric driving and alleviating the range anxiety I would have had with a Leaf or other EV due to the fact that work charging was practically non-existent. I run at about 80% electric and 20% gas due to the climb of elevation and really weird 405 freeway along with a semi-lead foot. I love being able to go to work and charge most days, but take the occasional day off and be lazy (I bike to/from the charging station).

The best part of the Volt (beside everything else awesome) is that it qualifies for HOV Stickers and luckily it came with it. Once my wife got a job further away as well (30 miles), she wanted a Volt as well. This helps her in the carpool lane too! She is non-technical sometimes aloof but tries to play the mileage game harder than I do.

Within the last month, I purchased a Clipper Creek L2 charger and things have been great. Being able to shift all my charging to Super Off Peak for both cars has been really good.

The one great thing about CA is that there are a lot of places to charge for free or cheap. My wife's favorite shopping centers have free charging and now we find ourselves there more often.

Thank you for reading my introduction and look forward to posting more.

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to Volt ownership. I have a 13 and couldn't be happier with it. My only warning for you is on the free charging at the shopping center. If you find yourselves there more often, maybe it isn't really free! Enjoy!

·
Registered
902 Posts
If we could compress housing, instead of perpetuating urban sprawl, people could commute via public transit or bicycle instead of purchasing a ton of metal to transport them to work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the problem you have in the Western States vs Eastern States like New York is the attitude and mentality. We do have mass transit here, but it is poorly maintained (speaking of mainly metro trains) and they do not get you close enough to where you need to go.

I work in an IT department and the closest job I could get was in the OC area. LA had a ton of opportunities...just none that wanted me unfortunately. Out in this OC area, there is only 1 train line which does not get me close to my work.

I agree with the notion of using a bicycle. I follow MMM and that is one of his biggest things. The thing I will need to do is just move closer to work :) but give the price of OC property and rent.......this will do for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts