GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Been away a few weeks, on vacation to the Big Apple and the southeastern US - was great!
Upon return to AK, drove up and bought a Black premier stickered at $38,840 w/o CP I or II.
When I saw it originally online, I thought it too high and didn't pursue it, but...change of heart.
So - love it so much that I drove it well past my home until it switched to generator, it was noticeable.

Now for the good and the bad:
- the car feels substantial, but feels like a compromise in a way
- lots more plastic inside than I'd imagined
- cup holders just a bit wee small for my larger Dasani
- Tech is fantastic, voice recognition worked each and every time, without frustration
- is there a sunglasses holder?
- plenty of upfront leg room (I'm 6') and room to spare, however, no leg room in back when I'm driving
- power train torque, pep on the money
- however, didn't test in "hold" mode, that was a mistake I think***when on the highway, and on generator, the front/generator seemed to sputter just a bit, not much, but noticeable - if I'm not mistaken, there were a couple of threads about this, but I can't find them now...any hints, or information to add would be appreciated...

What would you suggest as a new, 1st time owner for a Volt?
My salesman emphasized and I mean emphasized that I read the owner's manual, which I will.
What tips would you give a new owner? What should I be looking out for? How would I know I have the latest firmware/updates? I was told this was the first '17 Volt sold in AK, which is probably true.

I really enjoyed the first few hours with it today, but the icing on the cake, was when I was getting out of the car in a dimmed garage...the thin blue line that wraps around dash, was surprisingly integrated into either doors and was amazing to look at! I opened and closed my driver's door multiple times to see that blue line in the door panel!

I look forward to many interesting posts and exchange of information and ideas!
I hope to be here for a very long time!
20160516_191833596.jpg 20160516_191742815.jpg 20160516_185039354.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Volt. Since I've got a 2012, my Volt does not have many of the features that yours has. I will say that I enjoy driving mine as much today as when I purchased it 4 years ago. I would suggest you purchase a 240V charger which decreases the charge time significantly. Drive it just as you would drive any other vehicle you have owned, and don't forget to drive it in low and sport mode for some added fun. Inflate you tires a bit to increase electric miles and finally, don't be surprised at the decrease in electric miles during the colder months.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You have been on the forums a while, so no posts about having a defective battery if it only charges to 48 miles instead of 53 miles! I wonder if new owners in summer weather will complain about defective cars charging to 60 miles instead of 53 miles?

Congrats,

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Volt. Since I've got a 2012, my Volt does not have many of the features that yours has. I will say that I enjoy driving mine as much today as when I purchased it 4 years ago. I would suggest you purchase a 240V charger which decreases the charge time significantly. Drive it just as you would drive any other vehicle you have owned, and don't forget to drive it in low and sport mode for some added fun. Inflate you tires a bit to increase electric miles and finally, don't be surprised at the decrease in electric miles during the colder months.
Don't purchase a 240V charge cord, purchase a 240V to 120V patch cord and use your stock charging cord for rapid charging. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-Gen2-Volt-EVSE-conversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE!

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Silver Ice

Hi imr1956. I'm in Anchorage and purchased my 2013 in January. I haven't seen the 2nd Gen yet in the flesh but I can tell you the Volt does use more plastic panels in the interior than other cars in it's price range to save weight. I think the design of the panels though in my model are very well designed and put together. I can't stand hearing car reviewers complain about "cheap plastics" in autos as I've owned a lot of sport bikes and can tell you automotive plastics are not cheap.
Anyway I'm enjoying my Silver Ice model every day and just visited Palmer Saturday evening with my son to get out of
Anch. Left with only 2.5 gallons gas and used only 1.78 to go 106 miles roundtrip. Love the Volt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank Keith, overnight, first full charge indicated 50 miles - and I did a very noob move lol - I locked the car last night, plugged it in - then this morning promptly unplugged it - you can can imagine what happened - I nearly jumped out of my skin lol! The small garage reverberates that honking horn lol!

You have been on the forums a while, so no posts about having a defective battery if it only charges to 48 miles instead of 53 miles! I wonder if new owners in summer weather will complain about defective cars charging to 60 miles instead of 53 miles?

Congrats,

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thank Keith, overnight, first full charge indicated 50 miles - and I did a very noob move lol - I locked the car last night, plugged it in - then this morning promptly unplugged it - you can can imagine what happened - I nearly jumped out of my skin lol! The small garage reverberates that honking horn lol!
You can disable the "charge cord theft" alarm, if you only use the charger in your enclosed garage it will keep you from having to change underwear some morning when you forget again :)

Keith

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All

Yes I will drive in L and Sport and try all features in the next few weeks. The salesman suggested that I don't move any indicators on the driver screen for 3 weeks! Of course, I couldn't do this and cycled through all the screen options yesterday.

Yes, well, I traded my 2015 Jeep Renegade for a Mazda 3 GT HB on 28APR16 - out of a personal compromise since I thought the Volt was out of my pocketbook range. I parked it while on leave and enjoyed the drive, however, one big drawback is - my knees. Entry and exit was challenging - and I bought this thinking my girlfriend would take it when she arrives next winter...when in the Mazda, it felt "good" solid, middle of road, high quality interior, padded, leather - but some cons: low to ground, didn't feel safe around much larger vehicles; the entertainment interface was very disheartening/frustrating - nothing has beaten the UConnect system from FCA, although when test driving the Volt, I made sure to connect my phone and compare it's operation vs the Mazda's system - and the Volt is Okay! The Mazda, when on the phone using bluetooth, talking through car, will not allow you to continue hands-free when you turn off the ignition, plus, it's touchscreen disables the touch capacity when out of Park - 2 big No-Go's for me. The Volt does the trick. Also, the MMI or selector knob to rotate through the Mazda screen (like the BMW or Audi) is placed just in front of the cup holders, so you must angle your naturally laying arm/hands around your drink to rotate the knob. But the car drove right and I got 29mi/gallon. Very quality feel - and when in the Volt, the Volt has heavier doors, softer supple leather seats, softer ride, more cabin space - the Mazda had all the gizmos - will terribly miss the Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Side indicators etc. But I'm happy with the Volt. Comparing Mazda to Volt is like apples to oranges...she didn't want this car anyways, she wants the CX-5 it seems : )
I owned the Mazda 3 just a few days really and I was impressed, but this is not the car I truly wanted. Let's see if Volt lives up to the reliability, durability, and longevity hype surrounding the Gen 1's! thanks again for your replies

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey! Congrats on your Volt. I'm a first time Volt owner also. It's a great car. It gets better as it gets worked in. To me, it's so "normal" I can't say I have any tips. In the cold weather I used the heated seats and steering wheel over the climate control because that would zap the range - but did have times where I'd use climate. I installed a small key chain remote control for the garage doors low on the right side of the steering wheel dashboard near my knee with a piece of Velcro. Not only is it out of site and in reach, but when I have to leave the car outside I can remove it easily from the car and take it with me. Cheap fix. I had the L2 EVSE installed and top off the car whenever I come home. Keeps the battery charged and ready to go. Just enjoy! It's a very easy car to get used to. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts