GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the office this am I was disappointed to discover that I can't unplug the charger!
I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Bosch techs. Then waited while the "A Team" from Al Serra came out to help. They don't have an answer.
I'm unable to drive the Volt.
I'm getting from Bosch that this has happened "once" before. The "A Team" guru found lots of similar issues around the country.
Bosch wants me to start poking around with thin flat screwdrivers to release the plug. I've carefully done so and only managed to break some plastic around the plug. Not cool.
It has been brutally cold here. But it was a balmy 10 degrees Fahrenheit this am. I've plugged it in and unplugged in -12 degrees recently.
The button was difficult to push over the last week.
I've only had the Volt for two months.
Any ideas???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it was only 10 degrees, but that is warmer than it has been. Guess it is worth a try! Will give it a go.

·
4,852 Posts
Yes, try a blow dryer in case some water froze. There's also a thread on here somewhere, where someone had the release mechanism fail on the charger cord. They had to use a small screwdriver or similar as you describe, to get the plug to release.

I haven't heard of it happening often (you're the second person I've heard of that has had this problem aside from the other thread) but if it does happen, not cool.

Hopefully this is the only issue you'll have and you're getting it out of the way early ;) Please report back on how it was resolved!

·
Registered
918 Posts
dcnotpc,
Did Bosch's "A Team" guy disassemble the J1772 plug (J-plug)? On most J-plugs, the trigger/button is a spring loaded mechanical device. It's possible the trigger mechanism is contaminated with FOD (foreign object debris) preventing you from actuating the mechanism freely.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Try pushing the plug into the charge port while you press the release button, in case the latch mechanism is stuck on the hook inside. That worked for me a couple of times on the same model EVSE you have, although I have never had as much trouble with it as you are having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thumbs killing me!

Yep, thanks. Have tried that.
Have my wife out with a blow dryer today while I have her truck at the office.
Will try later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heat gun did the trick! Didn't take very long at all. Just warmed it up a bit and it slid right off!
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The BMW I-series has a onboard heater for frozen electrical connections...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
If possible thaw with a hair dryer which will help remove any moisture around contacts of Jplug and remove and unit. Please disconnect or shutdown breaker for Jplug when doing this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts