1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
602 Posts
That white Bolt in the first image looks like a Volt that ate too much.

·
2,356 Posts
Looks like LiDAR on the two towers and some sort of multi-directional camera deal in the middle. Cool. Maybe dual GPS antennas in the back?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like LiDAR on the two towers and some sort of multi-directional camera deal in the middle. Cool. Maybe dual GPS antennas in the back?
Hopefully, they can package all that in some sort of bubble or integrate better into the car itself. Looks really space-crafty right now.

Some sort of self-cleaning ability as well I am thinking. NASCAR/Indy already have on-board cameras that have a self-cleaning cover for the lens.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
GM moving forward without a lot of hoopla...:)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I notice they are using the Bolt's integrated roof rails for mounting the gizmos. I'm definitely interested in using those rails.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That white Bolt in the first image looks like a Volt that ate too much.
That is the pre-production Bolt EV (see the headlights), and the array on the roof will probably be reduced in size. There is a LIDAR being sold for less than $100 for experimentors.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The interesting part as mentioned in the article, is that CEO of the company they just acquired, Cruise Automation, is the driver...So its possible that pre-production car isn't new but is new to San Francisco...

We know they want this autonomous for Lyft Bolts, its very possible GM won't ever sell Gen1 autonomous Bolt to private buyers...I for one give kudos to GM for their investments in autonomous because it is the future...

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Could you imagine NYC streets without insane rage filled taxi drivers?
It would almost be (kind of) safe!

Someone just has to start a autonomous taxi company called Johnny Cab... it just has to be done ;)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Could you imagine NYC streets without insane rage filled taxi drivers?
You must not of been to SF before, taxi's are 90% as bad as NY...lol

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You must not of been to SF before, taxi's are 90% as bad as NY...lol
... you must not have been to NYC... :p

Actually, even worse were the absolutely insane cabbies in Cairo... they have no problem facing off against a huge tourist bus in a one lane roundabout :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts