GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Bolt has been compared to the Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic and the Chevy Trax.

In terms of exterior size, it's larger than a Fit (or Sonic, which is almost the same size as a Fit), and smaller than a Trax. It's very close to a Kia Soul.

Bolt vs. Fit​

Bolt vs. Soul​

Bolt vs. Versa​

Bolt vs. Trax​

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think what is important to note is the Bolt is clearly "not" a CUV, despite attempts to label it as one. The Bolt is a compact hatchback.

A Chevy Equinox is a CUV. Its dimensions are 188″ L x 73″ W x 66″ H. That is a big difference.

This is an important distinction for the American buying public, who are luke warm for compact hatchbacks, but drool over CUV's, even though both vehicles are very similar in terms of practicality.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Awesome bit if info. Thanks for providing this it helps since we can't actually see one. I do long for an Equinox sized BEV or EVER like vehicle.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Baragona, if the Chevy Trax and the Kia Soul are subcompact CUV's, then arguably, so is the Bolt. The Fit is not a CUV but the other two are.
On the flip side of the coin, if we were being honest, we would probably call them subcompact station wagons. But CUV's are a lot more popular than "roomy station wagon-like subcompact hatchbacks".

I think what is important to note is the Bolt is clearly "not" a CUV, despite attempts to label it as one. The Bolt is a compact hatchback.

A Chevy Equinox is a CUV. Its dimensions are 188″ L x 73″ W x 66″ H. That is a big difference.

This is an important distinction for the American buying public, who are luke warm for compact hatchbacks, but drool over CUV's, even though both vehicles are very similar in terms of practicality.

·
Administrator
21,117 Posts
I think what is important to note is the Bolt is clearly "not" a CUV, despite attempts to label it as one.
The Bolt EV seems to fit the somewhat loose definition of a CUV:

A crossover or crossover utility vehicle (CUV), is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback.

Using the unibody construction typical of passenger vehicles instead of the body-on-frame platform used in light trucks and the original SUVs, the crossover combines SUV design features such as tall interior packaging, high H-point seating, high center of gravity, high ground-clearance or all-wheel-drive capability – with design features from an automobile such as a passenger vehicle's platform, independent rear suspension, car-like handling and superior fuel economy.

A crossover may borrow features from a station wagon or hatchback, such as the two-box design of a shared passenger/cargo volume with rear access via a third or fifth door, a liftgate – and flexibility to allow configurations that favor either passenger or cargo volume, e.g., fold-down rear seats.

Crossovers are offered with front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive configurations. Crossovers are typically designed for only light off-road capability, if any at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_%28automobile%29

One of the earliest references: is a January 2008 Wall Street Journal blog article that called crossovers "wagons that look like sport utility vehicles, but ride like cars."

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think to truly be considered even a compact SUV, there needs to be an AWD option. In my limited research, there isn't a single vehicle marketed as an SUV on the market that lacks an AWD option.

·
Administrator
21,117 Posts
I think to truly be considered even a compact SUV, there needs to be an AWD option. In my limited research, there isn't a single vehicle marketed as an SUV on the market that lacks an AWD option.
Exactly. There is no strict definition, so it comes down to individual preferences, like all car models.

"The current use of the term for this market segment spans a wide range of vehicles. In some cases, manufacturers have marketed vehicles as crossovers simply to avoid calling them station wagons, or have produced crossovers mainly because station wagons have fallen out of favor with buyers in a particular region such as the United States."

Mini crossovers include Chevrolet Trax/Opel Mokka/Buick Encore, Citroën C4 Cactus, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Fiat Palio Adventure, Ford EcoSport, Honda HR-V, Hyundai ix25, Mini Countryman, Nissan Juke, Peugeot 2008 (#2 in Europe), Renault Captur (#1 in Europe).

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Bolt has been compared to the Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic and the Chevy Trax.
Thanks for the illustrations!

I've also heard comparison to a Nissan Versa, but don't know how accurate that is -- can you also post that comparison?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Baragona, if the Chevy Trax and the Kia Soul are subcompact CUV's, then arguably, so is the Bolt. The Fit is not a CUV but the other two are.
On the flip side of the coin, if we were being honest, we would probably call them subcompact station wagons. But CUV's are a lot more popular than "roomy station wagon-like subcompact hatchbacks".
The Trax and the Soul are also vehicles that folks want to label as CUV's, but really aren't. These vehicles' primary success is based on the fact that they are "cheap", not that they are CUV's.

I agree with Steverino that automakers use a very "loose" definition of CUV in order to court potential buyers. This strategy works well with the Soul and other cheap compact hatchbacks as they can be sold as the "poor man's CUV".

The Bolt is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, it is not the poor man's anything. Maybe you could call it the poor man's Model X, but I'm not sure how far that will get you.

Being the same size and shape as a Soul or Trax and being $35K will be a challenge.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's nearly the same size as a Honda Fit. It has no AWD option. It is not designed to tow. It is not designed even for light off-roading. The ground clearance is similar to a honda fit... It is a hatchback, not a cuv.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Even from the same wiki: "tall interior packaging, high H-point seating, high center of gravity, high ground-clearance or all-wheel-drive capability – with design features from an automobile such as a passenger vehicle's platform, independent rear suspension, car-like handling and superior fuel economy."

I understand a lot of you chose the ignore there is any link of the Bolt EV to the ICE Sonic hatchback yet you can't argue they are similar sized...Exterior wise the Bolt EV is a SUB-compact size and a hatchback...Chevy does not call the Sonic hatchback a CUV...Comes down to them wanting stick a square peg into a round hole with a hot segment but I think folks won't care what segment Chevy calls it, they'll either like the vehicle or they won't...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Who cares what it's called. CUV and SUV are loose made up marketing terms that have varing definitions depending on which marketing department you talk to.

At the end of the day the Bolt EV has a sub-compact exterior. But with a flat floor and a pushed forward firewall has the interior volume of a mid sized vehicle.

At the end of the day everybody wants the versatility of mini-vans or station wagons. But don't want to buy a mini-van or station wagon because the are "not cool" so the auto companies made up the term CUV so that people can buy a mini-van or station wagon like vehicle but can call it something else and still be cool.

SUV's are also a made up term and depending who you talk to many consider an SUV as requiring a body on frame construction. In which there are very few of these on the market today.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I understand a lot of you chose the ignore there is any link of the Bolt EV to the ICE Sonic hatchback yet you can't argue they are similar sized...Exterior wise the Bolt EV is a SUB-compact size and a hatchback...Chevy does not call the Sonic hatchback a CUV...Comes down to them wanting stick a square peg into a round hole with a hot segment but I think folks won't care what segment Chevy calls it, they'll either like the vehicle or they won't...
To be fair the Trax and Sonic are for the most part almost the same vehicle. They share 80% of the same parts and are both built on GM's Gamma II platform.

My wife drives a Sonic. We considered a Trax. But after we sat in them and drove them we found that they were largely the same (slightly more cargo space in the Trax). However we could get a fairly loaded Sonic for the price of a base Trax.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Bolt has more interior room than others in its size range, but not like an Equinox

Sonic interior volume:
passengers - 90.3 cubic feet
cargo - 14.9 cubic feet
total 105.2 cubic feet

Equinox
passengers - 99.7 cubic feet
cargo - 31.5 cubic feet
total 131.2 cubic feet -

Bolt EV interior volume
passengers - 94.4 cubic feet
cargo - 16.9 cubic feet
total - 111.3 cubic feet

6% more interior volume in a slightly smaller exterior volume than the Sonic.

It is close to the Equinox on the passenger volume. Not near the cargo space. But still a lot more than the Volt (10 c.f.) And with all that passenger space, the Bolt is a whole lot bigger internally than the Volt.

The Bolt is an amazing engineering success. My hat's off to GM, Josh Tavel, and Pam Fletcher for pulling of the Bolt moon-shot.

You want an Equinox-sized EV that can gets 200 mile range, carries an Equinox-weighted total payload, and costs $37K, and have it before 2025? Lotsa luck with that.

·
Administrator
21,117 Posts
Even from the same wiki: "tall interior packaging, high H-point seating, high center of gravity, high ground-clearance or all-wheel-drive capability – with design features from an automobile such as a passenger vehicle's platform, independent rear suspension, car-like handling and superior fuel economy."
"a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV)"

As in, the features, etc will vary from vehicle to vehicle. The CUV definition is very lose, there is no single standard.

I note that a high center of gravity is also often a CUV/SUV characteristic. Using your method of cherry picking attributes, the very low center of gravity Tesla Model X means it is not a CUV or SUV, yet it is sold as one. Why? Because there is no single standard. And how often does a Model X owner go off-roading?

The point again is there is no standard definition, just a lose number a general characteristics that vary from vehicle to vehicle. After that, it comes down to what the buyer wants.

I have never needed to drive over 2 ft high boulders and I prefer a low center of gravity to a tippy car. My SRX is high and has AWD. Getting in and out is more difficault, it's not fun to drive, even though we can get good snowfalls I have never needed the AWD, the interior cargo space is surprisingly small, and the high roof is a pain to wash as well as load stuff on the rack.

I disagree that unless the vehicle has AWD as an option it can't be a CUV. What then of those who buy a CUV without paying for AWD? It's still sold as a CUV, it's not suddenly a station wagon, lol.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV)"

As in, the features, etc will vary from vehicle to vehicle. The CUV definition is very lose, there is no single standard.

I note that a high center of gravity is also often a CUV/SUV characteristic. Using your method of cherry picking attributes, the very low center of gravity Tesla Model X means it is not a CUV or SUV, yet it is sold as one. Why? Because there is no single standard. And how often does a Model X owner go off-roading?

The point again is there is no standard definition, just a lose number a general characteristics that vary from vehicle to vehicle. After that, it comes down to what the buyer wants.

I have never needed to drive over 2 ft high boulders and I prefer a low center of gravity to a tippy car. My SRX is high and has AWD. Getting in and out is more difficault, it's not fun to drive, even though we can get good snowfalls I have never needed the AWD, the interior cargo space is surprisingly small, and the high roof is a pain to wash as well as load stuff on the rack.

I disagree that unless the vehicle has AWD as an option it can't be a CUV. What then of those who buy a CUV without paying for AWD? It's still sold as a CUV, it's not suddenly a station wagon, lol.
Pretty much agree with everything you said...There are certain people who just think of anything ended in "UV" as high off the ground and will only buy vehicles that are that way...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Nice comparo. Definitely places the Bolt in the right exterior size category. The price category is another thing.

Bolt - $37k
Fit - $16k
Soul - $16k
Soul EV - $24k
Trax - $21k
Equinox - $23k

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Nice comparo. Definitely places the Bolt in the right exterior size category. The price category is another thing.

Bolt - $37k
Fit - $16k
Soul - $16k
Soul EV - $24k
Trax - $21k
Equinox - $23k
Soul EV - $31,950 base MSRP and has a 93 mile range.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts