GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I tracked a couple of my typical trips. These are A (work) to B (destination) to C (home) to A (work) trips of about 90 miles. My 2015 Volt would require the entire battery plus 1.25 gallons of gasoline to complete the trip (+/- .25 gallons depending on conditions). About 70 miles of the drive is freeway at 65-70 mph, and about 20 miles of the drive is city/highway at 45-55 mph with some stops.

Dry

Rainy

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great videos. The rainy video shows a bad case scenario where you'll get maybe 180 miles. That's good to know for planning purposes.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have a few things I'm looking to test in the future. These are sub 70 MPH freeway videos, so next on the list is > 70 MPH freeway. I'm also going to see if I can set up my camera to demonstrate 70 kW regen and to see if 80 kW regen is possible.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks. I look forward to it. DCFC is still non existent out to Vegas and from the High Desert up to Bishop and Line Pine. I wish that resolves itself soon as I like to hike out there quite a bit. Tesla has it covered. Palms Springs and Santa Barbara/Ventura seem like a doable drive in a Bolt.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I look forward to it. DCFC is still non existent out to Vegas and from the High Desert up to Bishop and Line Pine. I wish that resolves itself soon as I like to hike out there quite a bit. Tesla has it covered. Palms Springs and Santa Barbara/Ventura seem like a doable drive in a Bolt.
Santa Barbara and Ventura are great due to the number of CCS locations and L2 destination chargers. Want to head out to the beach? You'll have a L2 charger within a mile. Hang out in downtown? More L2 chargers. Thousand Oaks Mall, Camarillo Outlets, Ventura (Pacific View) Mall, and Santa Barbara (La Cumbre Shopping Plaza) all have CCS stations.

·
Registered
179 Posts
402 is already a lot better than the EPA city driving estimate of 255 mile range. How'd you do that? Can you tell us your average speed or total driving time for the ~25 miles? Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
402 is already a lot better than the EPA city driving estimate of 255 mile range. How'd you do that? Can you tell us your average speed or total driving time for the ~25 miles? Thanks!
Is 60kWh the total capacity of the HVB or the usable capacity? If 60kWh is the total size then wouldn't the usable be closer to 50 or so?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, as I said in the video, it's the most efficient route for my 50-mile work commute, and it allowed me to make it back and forth to work in my 2015 Volt without using gasoline. The average speed for the trip is ~30 MPH due to traffic and stops, and the overall elevation change is -300 ft. Other than that, there is not much else to it. The outside temperature was 55 F, so climate control is unnecessary. With the return trip in the Volt, I would end with about 10 kWh used for a 50 mile trip, or 5 miles per kWh A-B-A.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts