GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This new upload from the Detroit show has video of the storage tray and its use. This is the first time I've seen it demonstrated and hope this will be included as standard equipment. It's at the very end of the video which also shows the rear passenger room for a 5'10" person. If you are very familiar with the Bolt, skip the first half of the video and begin play around 2:45 sec.

https://youtu.be/fJx5TO202iQ

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Nice video, had not seen it before. I think Chevy will be selling some sort of box as an option to go under that movable cargo deck/cover.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I'm impressed that the cargo space looks bigger than I had thought based on other pictures. I think I could get a few suit cases back there. The 2-height load floor is neat. It looks like there is a good 8 inches or so of height under the floor when it is in the upper position. Plenty of room underneath for a compact spare, jack, emergency equipment, etc.

I wish they had shown what is below the floor (a view with the movable floor completely removed). From beneath the vehicle, it looks like there is a round compartment under there for something. If there were a way to get a compact spare into the round compartment, it would be that much better.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Nice video. Without being able to walk into a dealer and see and touch a real vehicle this is a good primer.

Am disappointed there are NO rear seat HVAC vents. That tray reminds me of what we had in our 2001 PT Cruiser.

Wonder how much longer before GM releases it's EPA rating and Ordering Guide info?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
From beneath the vehicle, it looks like there is a round compartment under there for something. If there were a way to get a compact spare into the round compartment, it would be that much better.
Like the Volt, that round area will be filled with electronics (and perhaps a battery?).

Also, the tires will reportedly be self sealing for nail-type punctures. That leaves sidewall blowouts, sidewall punctures or huge gashes requiring a tow. I think for most people, the self seal tread will solve 99% of the tire issues, assuming they have a tire issue.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
No rear HVAC vents, but, rears do have heated seats. With a completely flat floor, the air flow under the fronts should be good.

First I've seen this particular video. Good info.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I wish they had shown what is below the floor (a view with the movable floor completely removed). From beneath the vehicle, it looks like there is a round compartment under there for something. If there were a way to get a compact spare into the round compartment, it would be that much better.
Here's what's under there. The well looks like it would be the perfect size for a spare, but there may be some equipment underneath the foam filler because it looks like there are some wires on the right side that go down into it.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
The two vents in the center of the dash look like they can be aimed up and toward the rear, sending chilled or heated air to the back. That's what we do with our Volt and it works reasonably well.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The two vents in the center of the dash look like they can be aimed up and toward the rear, sending chilled or heated air to the back. That's what we do with our Volt and it works reasonably well.
With a dog in the back of our Equinox the dash vents don't adequately clear all the humidity she creates. Something only dog owners can appreciate. I wasn't worried about the rear passengers.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think my favorite is the extra phone holder in the front. The back cargo floor is cool. I had something similar in the Leaf but that was an entire plastic insert. Very hard to get it in and out. The movable floor works much better. Definitely helps to keep things from rolling around.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My old Malibu Maxx had a similar tray but its upper mounting location placed it level with the top of the rear seat backs so, like the Volt Shelf, it could also provide security from wandering eyes of anything stored underneath. It would be great if the Bolt added that mounting location too. (hint, hint)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
With a dog in the back of our Equinox the dash vents don't adequately clear all the humidity she creates. Something only dog owners can appreciate. I wasn't worried about the rear passengers.
I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox and two dogs that are held down with "four Paws" safety harnesses that are held by the rear seat belts. I have no A/C issues in my vehicle since 2009 (the dogs are older than the Equinox). I do have a rollaway rear cargo cover for it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I can appreciate it, and the humidity only emphasizes the nose prints and window licks. At least I can tell my human passengers not to do that.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
What the video failed to show (because the car was not ON) was the ability to shift into L simply by ratcheting the shifter rearward once in D (toggles) and the "L" illuminates. I bring this up due to some incorrect comments I've read on insideevs that the BOLT doesn't have L.
DOES TOO!
;)
WOT

Attachments

·
1,308 Posts
Video host says:

If you have a DC fast charging system you'll get about 90 miles in under 2 hours -- at least that's what GM is saying. A full charge will take around 9 hours though.
Ouch, that's pretty garbled. He should have said that a DC fast charging system can add "90 miles in 30 minutes" or "160 miles in 60 minutes". The 9 hours is a reference to the AC charging time which adds about 25 miles for each hour of charging but slows during the end of charging as the battery reaches full.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
But...But...GM hasn't asked me for a grand to order one...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What the video failed to show (because the car was not ON) was the ability to shift into L simply by ratcheting the shifter rearward once in D (toggles) and the "L" illuminates.
That seems like a poor bit of design to me - how are you supposed to know that you can shift that way when the shifter doesn't show any indication of it until you've already shifted that way? All the other "gears" are visible before you shift into them, it seems to me that "L" should work the same way...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That seems like a poor bit of design to me - how are you supposed to know that you can shift that way when the shifter doesn't show any indication of it until you've already shifted that way? All the other "gears" are visible before you shift into them, it seems to me that "L" should work the same way...
And it's unnecessarily overly complex...While odds are its just an LED that shouldn't burn out during the lifetime of the car, in just about any vehicle with LED taillamps there have been a failure and its always expensive to replace...And knowing how much GM charges for the Volt's illuminated charge port just has me scared...

Other than replacement cost, I don't really have a problem with it...I believe the majority will use the regen paddle whch allows you to come to a full stop vs shifting into "L" and believe that's GM thoughts...I actually think the exact opposite would be far more beneficial, a mode or even "H" where you have a "coast" and the car will not regen/slow down on its own...Many have stated that is the most efficient way to drive any vehicle...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
And it's unnecessarily overly complex...While odds are its just an LED that shouldn't burn out during the lifetime of the car, in just about any vehicle with LED taillamps there have been a failure and its always expensive to replace...And knowing how much GM charges for the Volt's illuminated charge port just has me scared...

Other than replacement cost, I don't really have a problem with it...I believe the majority will use the regen paddle whch allows you to come to a full stop vs the "L" and believe that's GM thoughts...I actually think the exact opposite would be far more beneficial, a mode or even "H" where you have a "coast" and the car will not regen/slow down on its own...Many have stated that is the most efficient way to drive any vehicle...
My ideal setup for any electric be it PHEV or BEV would be to have full aggressive regen available by lifting off of the accelerator and having a "coast" paddle on the steering wheel for the occasions when one pedal driving (holding the accelerator perfectly balanced to achieve coasting) would be a pain in the butt. I don't want to have to watch a power flow display to coast when I should be watching the road... currently I put the Volt in Neutral for these situations.

Keith

1 - 20 of 24 Posts