GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker and Chevy hater has driven my '16 Volt and liked the steering response/feel a lot. "Doesn't feel like a Chevy"..... Recently he test drove a '19 Bolt for possible commuter duty, but he reported that the steering response was awful and a deal killer. The car had just been unloaded and probably not had its full dealer prep.
I have never read a complaint about Bolt steering. Is this a problem? Can under or uneven tire inflation possibly be the culprit?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A co-worker and Chevy hater has driven my '16 Volt and liked the steering response/feel a lot. "Doesn't feel like a Chevy"..... Recently he test drove a '19 Bolt for possible commuter duty, but he reported that the steering response was awful and a deal killer. The car had just been unloaded and probably not had its full dealer prep.
I have never read a complaint about Bolt steering. Is this a problem? Can under or uneven tire inflation possibly be the culprit?
I would say if the car is just off the truck the tires would be overinflated. Mine was "off the truck" and I had to let 4 or 5 lbs of pressure out.
I like the handling of my 2017 with tires at recommended pressures. But then I'm not expecting it to be a sports car either. It's got 1000 lbs of battery to move and eco tires.

·
Administrator
21,210 Posts
If you floor the Bolt in Low, you will notice some torque steer. You'll also chirp the tires. Otherwise, the steering is fine.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The tire inflation level could definitely have a big impact on what your co-worker noticed, and I think it is quite possible it was way off before being prepped. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still not very good even after dealer prep. In my experience, most shops don't pay close attention to that detail. They are often left at pressures that vary by 5+ psi from tire to tire. And if they set to a specific target psi, they often use the common number of 32 psi regardless of what is specified for the specific car. The Bolt is supposed to be 38, IIRC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.