GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read conflicting information about the Bolt's size, some saying it's virtually identical to a Volt, others saying it's going to be a bigger. Have details been released on the interior size? I'm most interested in whether it will have a wider back seat that can actually accommodate 3 people. A child seat in the middle position in the Volt pretty much means you can't have anybody sitting on either side of it; I'm hoping the Bolt is better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a graphical size based comparison thread here on the site. In looking at the Volt vs. the Bolt, the Bolt will definitely have a lot more interior volume being a compact crossover. It is a little shorter than the Volt (no ICE to package), but the width is about the same. Being the detailed sort, of course I made a spreadsheet (starting with one that was presented here) of comparable cars. The one that I found came the closest was the Honda HRV. I actually went to a Honda dealer to check one out.

·
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
(Copied from the links above)

Volt:
Wheelbase (in / mm): 106.1 / 2694
Overall length (in / mm): 180.4 / 1481
Overall width (in / mm): 71.2 / 1809
Height (in / mm): 56.4 / 1432
Track front (in / mm): 60.6 / 1540 (front) 61.8 / 1570 (rear)
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3
Headroom (in / mm): 37.8 / 961 (front) 35.8 / 909 (rear)
Shoulder room (in / mm): 56.5 / 1434 (front) 53.2 / 1351 (rear)
Hip room (in / mm): 53.7 / 1365 (front) 51.3 / 1304 (rear)
Legroom (in / mm): 42.1 / 1068 (front) 34.7 / 882 (rear)
Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 10.6 / 301

Bolt
Wheelbase (in / mm): 102.4 / 2600
Overall length (in / mm): 164.0 / 4166
Overall width (in / mm): 69.5 / 1765(W103)
Track width front (mm): 1500.92 mm
Track width rear (mm): 1501.05 mm
Height (in / mm): 62.8 / 1594(H100)
Front overhang (in / mm): 32.9 / 836
Rear overhang (in / mm): 28.7 / 730
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3
Headroom (in. / mm): 39.7 / 1009 1st row 37.9 / 962 2nd row
Shoulder room (in / mm): 54.6 / 1387 1st row 52.8 / 1340 2nd row
Hip room (in / mm): 51.6 / 1310 1st row 50.8 / 290 2nd row
Legroom (in / mm): 41.6 / 1056 1st row 36.5 / 927 2nd row
Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 16.9 cu-ft / 478 L (V10, Wagon CVI – Max behind rear seat)
Passenger volume (cu ft / L): PV1 52.2 cu-ft / 1478 L 1st row PV2 42.2 cu-ft / 1195 L 2nd row

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A child seat in the middle position in the Volt pretty much means you can't have anybody sitting on either side of it; I'm hoping the Bolt is better.
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Child seats are pretty bulky, and the Bolt is still a compact car. If the other people in the back seat are children you might be OK, but I certainly wouldn't assume that a car seat and two adults would fit, at least not until I was able to check it out for myself.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Child seats are pretty bulky, and the Bolt is still a compact car. If the other people in the back seat are children you might be OK, but I certainly wouldn't assume that a car seat and two adults would fit, at least not until I was able to check it out for myself.
It is regrettable that they seem to be preoccupied with matching the Tesla 3's range and performance instead of making the car that everyday folks need. When I saw how ugly the bolt was, I had assumed it would be a more practical car than the Volt, not just a pure-electric remake.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It is regrettable that they seem to be preoccupied with matching the Tesla 3's range and performance instead of making the car that everyday folks need. When I saw how ugly the bolt was, I had assumed it would be a more practical car than the Volt, not just a pure-electric remake.
Well GM has to pick it's battles. Building a wider car would have increased weight and air resistance, necessitating a larger battery (which itself would weigh more) and higher cost. Their goal was a 200-mile electric car that sold at a "reasonable" price. Such a car can't be all things to all people, but personally I think they've done a pretty decent job of it.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well GM has to pick it's battles. Building a wider car would have increased weight and air resistance, necessitating a larger battery (which itself would weigh more) and higher cost. Their goal was a 200-mile electric car that sold at a "reasonable" price. Such a car can't be all things to all people, but personally I think they've done a pretty decent job of it.
Fair enough point, but I'm very cynical about their plans... if they pulled off 240miles, seems they could have sacrificed some for width. If I'm right, their next move will be a SUV minivan, deliberately skipping the sedan that would be perfect for families of less than 3 kids. Gotta keep America locked into oversized cars.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Good thing that thought process is the minority.

·
Registered
968 Posts
From the videos I've seen at CES this year, it appears that the front and back are very roomy and accomodate four full sized adults. If you google CES and bolt you'll find plenty of reviews.

The volt is a compact car that a bit cramped in the back and head room is tight, so i think of the bolt as more spacious and roomy. One review described the car as looking small from outside but very roomy on inisde. They actually said think wagon or small SUV. The cargo area is decent but its not SUV sized.

I know people want an SUV now but as you mention it will be a progression. I believe that battery technology and car size will incease with time, but i realize its tough to wait for and nobody wants to drop 100k on a tesla suv model X. I thing GM made a good decision with size and price point of the bolt and I actually think it should be a practical car for most. The question is will consumers agree and I think they will. With all the early positive reviews, its hard to imagine that it wont sell well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts