GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 32K miles on my Gen 2 Volt every single tire has experienced at least one puncture, plenty of tread but I can't take it anymore. I've never experienced so many flats on one vehicle, with one set of tires, in my life. I'm not the only one plenty other's are complaining about flat tires on the OEM Energy Savers. Did GM have Michelin manufacture a slightly lighter weight wimpier OEM Energy Saver tire just to stretch the milage range.

Possible, but I'm not buying that!

Tried 3 different brand tires on my 2011 Volt and lost range with each progression. I discovered the faster and longer your commute the more evident this milage loss was. My all highway commute in in Phoenix was 27 mile each way at 65-70 mph. For 5 years I played a little game on my way home from swing shift to see how close I could get to home. On a perfect desert night I could almost make it home all on electric with the OEM Goodyear tires. But oh how I despised those noisy Goodyear tires ... and I can't drive ... 55.

Enter the Michelin Premiers & Continental True Contacts, yes both were quieter and handled better then but the range suffered. The Premier's improved slightly after 2000 miles and settled in with a 5 mile loss. The TC's settled in with a 5-7 mile loss but I slowed my commute home to 55 mph just to get me where the Premier's took me. In the end this range game got to me and I purchased a 2016 Volt just to alleviate my self-induced stress.

Now I can make the entire 54 mile commute all on electric ... Game Over!

Not wanting to start a brand new range game with my Gen 2 I should just purchase a new set of Energy Saver's and pretend GM's KooKoo eggs tires were the reason for the flats. I get a bad feeling about the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus getting me home. That thought got we wondering, why has nobody tried the Bolt Self Seal tires on the Gen 2 Volt, they are the Exact same size tire.

Anyone want to bite!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have owned 3 Volt's since March 2012 (2012, 2013 and now 2017) having driven them as my DD for over 80K miles I NEVER experience a FLAT or PUNCTURE or ISSUE with the OEM tires.

I will add that the Michelin tires on the Gen II are vastly superior to the GY's on the Gen I, but that's another story. But as I get older I might consider a "run-flat" tire when I need to replace the OEM's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, never experienced a single flat tire over 3 sets of tires on my 2011 Volt. I also agree the Michelin ES's outperform the GY's in every aspect, which equates to just adequate IMO for fair weather roads. Not so sure I could live with them in the Northern latitudes. Also to be fair, every flat had a verified nail or screw, I was probably just unlucky.

That said GM put the 'Self Sealing' Tires on the Bolt for a reason, IMO they should have been standard equipment on the the Gen 2 Volt. The spec's say they are a slightly heavier tire which may equate to less range on the Gen 2, hence their decision. Run Flat's are not an option for me as they are way to heavy. The Self Sealer's are no doubt a good compromise ... the question is can I live with even a slight range reduction. Game ON!

Anyone out there have the Energy Saver Self Sealer's on their Gen 2 Volt?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
With 32K miles on my Gen 2 Volt every single tire has experienced at least one puncture, plenty of tread but I can't take it anymore. I've never experienced so many flats on one vehicle, with one set of tires, in my life.
Maybe you should stop driving past that screw and nail factory! :cool:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I didn't have flat issues. My OEM Michelins were just another example of why I can't stand Michelin - zero traction when any moisture was on the road. The only good thing about the OEM tires is they wore out fast so I didn't have to deal with them for very long. My Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires have been fabulous.

·
Registered
807 Posts
+1 for me with the tire punctures. In the three years I owned my '17 Volt, I had more tire punctures than I had in the previous 20 years of driving. Each tire wound up with 2-3 plugs apiece in different spots. It was only towards the end of my time with the car that I had a mystery sidewall tear that forced me to buy two new tires.

Had I planned on keeping the car longer, I would've probably put some kind of run-flats on. But yeah the stock tires are complete garbage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run a tire shop right near the Tesla factory and we've worked on many Bolts' tires over the last few years. Not only does the "self-sealant" not work in many cases but it renders what would otherwise be a repairable tire unrepairable due to the sealant adhered to the inner liner. They are also hilariously expensive. You'd be better off spending the same or less money on a set of Bridgestone Driveguards which will not drop your range much if at all. We ran them on our previous 2012 Volt and even though we switched to 18" wheels we only saw about a 2-3 miles range reduction. Plus the Driveguards ride and handle extremely well (huge upgrade from the OEM Goodyears).

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
502 Posts
Our '17 Bolt had a slow leak with no obvious puncture vector. Took it to "Big O" tires, where we have unlimited flat tire repair service due to our membership in Pentagon Federal ECU, and they said that a repair was not possible due to the self-sealing goop. Researched this question and found that Michelin has a PDF instruction for their dealers on how to do the repair. Showed the dealer (a Michelin authorized shop), but they still declined. Michelin also declined to put any pressure on the dealer, so I tried the two nearest Chevy dealers (my Bolt dealer is 60 miles away), and they both also declined to try to fix the leak.

So I traded in the '17 for a new '19. Full disclosure: this was not because of the leak, but just a tax dodge. But still, what a bummer about trying to get a Michelin self-sealing tire fixed! And, I now have a donut spare and jack in the '19 Bolt!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic. OEM tires don't have the same warranty coverage as tires purchased separately.

Say tire model X from manufacturer Y. On their website they clearly state warranty of 50k miles. However if that model of tires come with a new car (original equipment), and the treads wear out at only 10k miles, you are out of luck. The 50k miles warranty applies only if you purchase the tires separately.

I learned that from driving a spark EV, which is known to wear out front tires fast. I managed to argue for a discounted set of new front tires though.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know where you are driving, but it's obviously very dangerous to tires. I've owned my Gen 2 since June of 2016, have rotated the tires once a year when I got an oil change, and have never had a flat. In fact, the tires are wearing very well, and I'll easily get another 3 1/2 years or more from them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2 holes in 8k miles, 2019 Volt. First was a 1/4 " bolt. Puncture and then flat in 30 seconds. Not really tire fault, but the inflator kit was totally useless.

Second was a tiny triangular shaped rock! Literally 3/16" on a side. Embedded between tread and cause 8 psi leak per day. Plugged it. But pretty small rock!

Now carry and Jack and donut spare.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
On the other hand I've been driving for 59 years (much of it professionally ie. during the day for work) and have never had a flat. I picked up a screw in the tire 15 years ago but never lost any air (I could hear it tap on the pavement and drove 20 miles to Canadian Tire to get a plug). That was on my Integra with 60 series tires. These were roads in BC and Alberta with one journey to Thunder Bay and one through the northern part of Washington and Idaho. Does area traveled make a difference?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The flat tire phenomenon with ES's could be a fluke, for me I am OK with the ride and handling of the OEM tire. However on hot desert nights I already arrive home on Elec fumes, I simply do not want to hear that ICE at the end of my 54 mile commute.
I have my priority's.

I'm all about the range ... bout the range!

Run flat's weigh 28lbs and ES Self Sealer's are 23lbs ... your outta there! The OEM ES tires & EP422+ clock in at 21lbs, but hold the fort, just discovered ES DT's at 20lbs. The DT stands for 'different thread', Tire Rack claims they are for the Bolt but who cares, a freshly designed 20lb Energy Saver Tire with the potential for even greater range. Sweet! Costco is offering $150 off Michelin tires starting Nov 22, $617.92 free installation & road hazard warranty. Even Sweeter!

We have a winner!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a list of the 4 different Michelin Energy Saver tires that fit the Gen 2 Volt & Bolt.

Costco#
1149030 MFR# 16798 91H 20 lbs Different Thread Formula (To make them last longer)
1064878 MFR# 11674 91H 21 lbs OEM Volt
1136776 MFR# 33539 91H 22 lbs OEM Bolt - Self Sealer
N/A MFR# 51569 94V 22 lbs V Speed Rating

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
My 2011 Volt tires went 70k miles without a flat. Disclaimer: I rotate my own tires and always inspect them for screws, nails, etc. I have found a few and removed them before they could puncture. I suspect many tire rotations never get this degree of inspection.

My 2017 Bolt tires had a small steel rod puncture the tire. Yes, found it while I rotated the tires. The self seal worked and Discount Tire fixed it, no fuss.

·
Administrator
21,218 Posts
Steve- any thoughts on using the ES Self Sealing tires on Gen 2 Volt.

I'm back teetering between the Self Sealing and new formula Energy Saver's.

I like the idea of self sealing. They enable you to keep driving. But you do need to inspect the tires regularly during rotations, whether they are self seal or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the idea of self sealing too ...

Can you believe it ... another flat tire on the way home from work. This one was leaking air so fast I was forced to pull off the highway and use the GM goo. Discount tire refused to fix the tire the next day because the metal rod was to close to the sidewall. So far the goo is still holding, I'm determined to wait till the Costco sale on Friday.

Stuck between a metal rod and a hard place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The self-sealing 1136776 Michelin tires are not in stock at Costco, so I was forced to buy the 1149030 New Formula Energy Saver's. $646 out the door with free Road Hazard insurance, lifetime rotation, balance, and flat repair.

The GM goo ruined the tire pressure sensor, GM OEM P/N 13598773 I purchased on eBay ... made in England. I see some are made in China & Mexico I steered clear of these. Costco installed it and reset the TPS system for free.

No real change in ride or road handling but my range has increased right out of the gate, I arrive home with 2-4 miles left on the gauge at my normal driving speeds. Nice!

Someone else will have to take the plunge and try the Self-Sealer's on the Gen 2 Volt.

Peace!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts