GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
From the link:

Sales of Chevrolet's electric car, the Bolt, are tanking.

Bolt sales plunged 41 percent during the third quarter from the same time last year and are down 17 percent since the beginning of the year, General Motors said Tuesday.

"The decline is more a function of us diverting production to Canada and South Korea, coupled with low stocks in the U.S.," GM spokesman Jim Cain told CNBC in an email. "We're still proceeding with the Q4 production increase we announced in the last sales release." Cain added that investors should expect lower U.S. sales for 2018 but higher global sales...

...The Bolt is not to be confused with the Chevrolet Volt, a hybrid, which actually saw a year-over-year increase of nearly 23 percent in sales.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It seems pretty clear GM is trying to extend the Federal Tax Credit for as long as possible, but it seems like they are cutting it pretty close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just bought a Volt in March and a Bolt in August, part of the problem with the Bolt was the lack of rebates. Msrp on both cars was approximately 42k, but the Volt was 6k cheaper from rebates/incentives that GM offers.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
It seems pretty clear GM is trying to extend the Federal Tax Credit for as long as possible, but it seems like they are cutting it pretty close.
Volt sales are up.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Volt sales are up.
And how!

But, if you look at the plug-in inventory and delivery numbers, it was not possible for the Federal Tax Credit to start its phase out in Q3. Now, GM is increasing its production across the board. They quoted a 20% increase in Bolt EV production; however, if you look at the staffing increase at the LG Holland Plant, it represents closer to a 30% battery production increase. Those batteries have to go somewhere. More Volt production? Maybe.

Either way, it looks like GM's plan was the Q3 phase out. We should see three extremely strong sales months to close 2018 if that is the case.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I saw that headline and thought it was really bad reporting. Good luck finding a Bolt right now. I'm in the Detroit Metro area, and there are only 25 showing up for sale within 100 miles of me. You can bet many of those aren't really for sale. They are selling every one they make.

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to Autoline Webcast there is currently a 95 day supply of Bolts across USA dealers. That's 1000's of Bolts languishing on dealer lots. No.1 reason is Tesla M3. In Canada because of our lower Canadian dollar value a Tesla M3 is far from affordable after at Cdn. MSRPs. Believe it or not that makes the Chevy Bolt LT at $45,000 Cdn. a Value Proposition for a 238 mile range BEV. We have waiting lists for Bolts in Canada. If GM wanted to sell more Bolts they just have to ship them to Canada.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
According to Autoline Webcast there is currently a 95 day supply of Bolts across USA dealers. That's 1000's of Bolts languishing on dealer lots. No.1 reason is Tesla M3. In Canada because of our lower Canadian dollar value a Tesla M3 is far from affordable after at Cdn. MSRPs. Believe it or not that makes the Chevy Bolt LT at $45,000 Cdn. a Value Proposition for a 238 mile range BEV. We have waiting lists for Bolts in Canada. If GM wanted to sell more Bolts they just have to ship them to Canada.
Nope, not at all. Last month, there was barely a month's supply in inventory. So those "1000s of Bolts languishing on dealer lots" have been there for less than 30 days.

Also, to disqualify the original story even further, Bolt EV sales were up 40% globally through June. https://insideevs.com/south-korean-chevy-bolt-ev-sales-crush-u-s-for-june/

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nope, not at all. Last month, there was barely a month's supply in inventory. So those "1000s of Bolts languishing on dealer lots" have been there for less than 30 days.
I'm not sure how much I trust that "inventory". If it's derived from the same data source that dealer's supposed inventory is, then half or more of it is cars that haven't made it to the lot yet. I've asked after Bolts "in inventory" at several dealers and mostly been told that they don't have them yet, and in many cases that they've already been spoken for.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I'm not sure how much I trust that "inventory". If it's derived from the same data source that dealer's supposed inventory is, then half or more of it is cars that haven't made it to the lot yet. I've asked after Bolts "in inventory" at several dealers and mostly been told that they don't have them yet, and in many cases that they've already been spoken for.
Well, that's entirely possible. Many of the dealerships will post vehicles for sale that are en route, and yes, many of them are sold. Some of the more trustworthy dealerships I know actually do have a lot more in stock, and one dealership that's barely had any in stock for the last year and a half now has two parked prominently out front... well, behind the Silverados... but still up front. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts