GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Remember only 13 Bolts have caught fire out of 140,000 being driven and charged to all sorts of conditions so the chances of your Bolt having the problem is very small. They initially reduced charging levels to take that down even further. Now they have more sophisticated software so you can safely park then in your garage until battery is replaced (although battery is still up in the air somewhat it seems). Very small chance anything will happen. Hyundai's ICE where bursting into flames with millions being recalled and it hardly made the news (although there was security footage on one bursting into flames unattended in an underground parking lot. If you need the full range, use it. There's a greater chance it's going to get totaled in a traffic accident than there is it is going to burst into flames. The problem wasn't one but two faults being present to possibly cause a problem and it wasn't a design fault, it was a manufacturing fault.

If you are teetering on range limits in cold weather, then it's not the right car for you, you may need a 300+ range EV, not a 250 mile range EV.

The average a car is driven per day is 33 miles. The Bolt exceeds that by over 7 times. It's not a long distance, interstate cruiser (it only uses a 50Kwh charger, higher is a waste of technology). Porsche has determined a optimal range is 300 to 350 mile range car as most of the time you are dragging around and paying for) a battery you seldom use. For those that do need the range, travelling sales people (do they still have those) the Chinese have a 600+ mile car out. Till then we have the new driving paradigm of knowing (or being able to find out) where the chargers are.

In short, I would charge the car to full when you need it and not worry about it. Houses burn down or explode all the time but we still live in them.
I have said all the words you have and more, and know all the statistics by heart. I've been there and you're speaking to the choir but, this is a long drawn out and now getting messy situation. I'm not trashing the technology. I DO think that GM is hedging its bets and not communicating clearly on the situation and rationales. There are MANY that believe GM has promised to replace their batteries and the fringe benefits that go with it. That may backfire.

But your claim that "GM now has sophisticated software so you can ............." has been used once already. It has to be proven. Right now the roll out is identical to the last software 'fix', meaning it has to work or it's curtains for the Bolt architecture for those already built.

As for the suitability of the Bolt, it was the right EV, until it wasn't. I've owned/used every kind of car and heavy machinery and essentially made a living understanding what you can and can't do under varying conditions, so I trust my judgment and experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Given my Bolt is a 2017, and I have in the past done all the things we are not supposed to do now, I suspect my battery pack doesn't have the defects that would require battery replacement. I think GM suspects the same and that's why it's focused on the newer Bolts first. Time will tell.

Other's have found this or that issue with their Volt and sold them, bashing GM and the Volt on their way out the door. I get it, heck, I have a brother who will never, ever buy a GM because when he was a kid our parents GM car had it's paint peel and the dealer did nothing. I have the same attitude toward AmEx. I'll never, ever get that card because they screwed me out of air miles decades ago. People can hold grudges against a brand, lol.

But my Volt experience has been very good and my Volt is now 10 years old. My Bolt experience has likewise been good. The Bolt's battery issue is being addressed— though not as quickly as we all would like. At a minimum, supply chain issues are certainly playing a role as it is in almost every industry today. My local HD has no metal primer spray paint for example. Shelf bare for weeks.

But I have no doubt the Bolt battery issue will be fixed with a software and possible battery upgrade depending on the car. Like the Volt, I plan to keep the Bolt for a long, long time.

Again your mileage may vary...
I had the Volt and have liked the Bolt and own a Spark EV. I think GM is on the right track on the overall program. At this point I'm not bashing GM in general. It's my situation that's changed because a car I bought isn't living up to its promise/warrantee. I think as a reasonable person it's my right to put up with it or rectify the situation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i think the first few years of bolt batteries are completely replaced
the later ones only the bad cell sections are going to be replaced if its bad at all
Like I say, read the notices and publications carefully. A lot of people think what you think but GM is real shy about nailing it down. I would appreciate it if someone can verify that what you think is laid out as a certainty. I haven't found it yet and would appreciate it if someone can point it out to me.

I'll be talking w GM people soon and I'll be interested if they are willing to verify replacement.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i think the first few years of bolt batteries are completely replaced
the later ones only the bad cell sections are going to be replaced if its bad at all
Here's what I've found out about Bolt battery repair vs replacement after speaking with a GM representative.

The policy does state 'repair or replacement'. The rep said that is the official language but so far it's been replacement - not repair. When asked about the new software version for sniffing out the cells/modules for anomalies and if that might alter the repair/replacement policy when it is distributed and installed, the rep said they didn't have that information and the software wasn't done and not ready to be disbursed and installed. I'm guessing end of December at the earliest.

I didn't get any information on the ongoing 'replacement' program or when replacement could occur. I would like to see replacement program emphasize northern lattitudes as much as possible due to the fact the restrictions are more onerous for owners during the winter. But this wasn't the rep that could affect that so it didn't come up.

So, I have some decisions to make as to what I choose next.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts