GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How will they handle this eventuality? It's gonna happen. Tesla will try and get the vehicle to a Supercharger or Service Center (they can charge a Tesla) GM dealers not so much.

What's the plan?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I heard something about coming out and mounting a sail on top of your vehicle to get you to the nearest power outlet <grin>.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
AAA has emergency charging vehicles for electric cars that run out of juice on the West coast and it turns out they don't see much use at all. A lot of people get close to running out but few actually crater it or flatbed it. Obviously, there have been a few and I have no idea how GM will respond, I would bet they would pay to flatbed you to the nearest charger. They paid to flatbed my Volt to a tire store last year when my tire got shredded.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
How will they handle this eventuality? It's gonna happen. Tesla will try and get the vehicle to a Supercharger or Service Center (they can charge a Tesla) GM dealers not so much.

What's the plan?
The sanme as if you ran out of gasoline or suffered a mechanical breakdown: Call a tow truck. And I bet that Tesla Motors will not give the proposed Model 3 the same road care as for the higher priced Models S and X. We all get waht we paid for.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I could see that becoming a problem for GM. You don't want people irresponsibly testing the outer limits of their range and getting stuck just because they know GM will bail them out for free. You kind of want people to have an incentive to plan their trip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wonder if there is any technology out there to "jump charge" EV-to-EV? So a friendly driver could help out a depleted stranger.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
AAA has mobile EV charging stations in some states. If that is not available, I would presume one would get towed to the nearest L2 (or DCFC, if one is available). Worst case .. it would get towed it to the nearest 120V plug point.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why should GM have a plan for BEV owners who just don't plan their trip according to the available on-board energy and re-charging opportunities? They designed and built a BEV that has a huge range and include with it a great real-time-range-forecaster and all sorts of tech support for finding available charger locations both before and during your trip. If range anxiety and your inability to use all the tools GM provides to you to manage your power is a problem that you as an owner will actually expect GM to address, GM probably will advise you to buy a Volt instead.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Maybe there is a "turtle mode" that is intended to minimize these situations. If the car suddenly has a top speed that is very slow, and big warning messages on the dash, then maybe the driver will get the car to a spot where plugging in is possible. Hopefully it will last for at least several miles to make that possible. If it is a 120V outlet they reach, they still might need to leave the car overnight and get a lift, but that is more efficient than dispatching a flat bed tow truck every time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Roadside Assistance already provides "emergency fuel" so I think it is covered.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Why should GM have a plan for BEV owners who just don't plan their trip according to the available on-board energy and re-charging opportunities? They designed and built a BEV that has a huge range and include with it a great real-time-range-forecaster and all sorts of tech support for finding available charger locations both before and during your trip. If range anxiety and your inability to use all the tools GM provides to you to manage your power is a problem that you as an owner will actually expect GM to address, GM probably will advise you to buy a Volt instead.
Entitlement.

I know people who STILL think that if they run out of gas, AAA should bring them a FULL TANK.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It's called The Tow of Shame.

A perfectly fine car that the owner ran out of fuel.

Why would GM or AAA bail out a D... S... owner for free?

There is the stretchy tow rope 'Regen Tow' if you have a buddy willing to bail out your sorry azz....

·
Registered
677 Posts
No, it would be too slow at anything other than DC, and that would be too dangerous... The AAA trucks have both J1772 and Chademo QC capability but since the Bolt will not have Chademo it would be limited to 240 L2 charging... They will only give you enough charge time to get home or to the nearest EVSE, whichever is closer...

Wonder if there is any technology out there to "jump charge" EV-to-EV? So a friendly driver could help out a depleted stranger.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There are situations where I could see getting in trouble range wise...

You go to work with 2x the charge needed to get home- that supposed "chance of a few scattered flurries" has suddenly turned into a full-on nasty ass snow storm while you were at work. So you head home early (like everyone else) to find the roads completely packed bumper to bumper and now moving at 5 mph for miles on end. Your 40 min trip home turns into 1.5hrs with need for full defrost/full heat/headlights/wipers on, etc... and you're also now fighting a 20mph headwind for the duration. Not a good situation for any electric vehicle.

That exact scenario has happened to me several times over the last couple of years. You blow through your battery extremely fast with full heat/full defrost/headlights/wipers on in 20F temps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2014 Spark EV owner here. I've never run the battery completely down but the quoting from my owner's manual regarding roadside assistance

Services Provided.
Emergency Charging Service:
Delivery of enough charge for the vehicle to get to the nearest charging station or home, whichever is closest.​

How will they do that? That's up to them.

When friends, some of whom said I was crazy to get a full electric, ask what do you do when you run out of juice I answer, you don't, you plan ahead. And one of those who doubted my sanity, ended up buying one! She loves the car but still doubts by sanity. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts