GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how Chevy handles running out of battery power. Will it reduce speed giving you a chance to pull over before it completely dies or what?

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Likely works the same as the Volt with no battery, no gas. You get maybe 3-5 miles of crawl speed, then your done

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm curious as to how Chevy handles running out of battery power. Will it reduce speed giving you a chance to pull over before it completely dies or what?
All the electric vehicles I've seen go into "turtle mode" where they operate at a much slower speed for a few miles when the battery is near exhaustion. So yeah, generally a lot more graceful than when you run out of gas in a car with an internal combustion engine.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Probably will be similar to the Spark EV.

- at 10% SOC remaining, a message prompts asking if you want to turn off the radio to conserve power
- at 6% SOC, it enters propulsion power reduced aka turtle mode
- at ~2% SOC, it prompts a "CHARGE VEHICLE NOW!" message, and the range estimate switches to just "Low"

So at least 3 reminders your charge is about to run out before it actually dies. If you still run out, it's pretty much because you ran out on purpose.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

- at 10% SOC remaining, a message prompts asking if you want to turn off the radio to conserve power
- at ~2% SOC, it prompts a "CHARGE VEHICLE NOW!" message, and the range estimate switches to just "Low"

So at least 3 reminders your charge is about to run out before it actually dies. If you still run out, it's pretty much because you ran out on purpose.
So if at 100% SOC the range is 200 miles, at 2% there is only 4 miles to go. That is enough for me to travel home in Puerto Rico. BTW, today I posted Chevy's offical news that the estimated EPA range is 238 miles, so that is 4.7 miles at 2% SOC.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
9 hours at level2, 32 A.
My Level 2 EVSE JuiceBox is set at 7.2 kW so 9 hours is just a regular overnight charge while I sleep. It is still much better than visiting a gas station!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The Duramax trucks that use DEF warn you something like 10 times in a thousand miles that you're running out of fluid before you go into limp mode. Do you think that stops them from running out?

·
Registered
488 Posts
You've all got it wrong... What happens is the Bolt is constantly calculating the remaining charge left in battery, the distance to your home charging station and the distance to the closest Chevy dealer. It uses a sophisticated algorithm to decide when you are in range trouble, at which point it takes over control and drives you to the nearest Chevey dealer so you can buy a Volt with no range anxiety.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You've all got it wrong... What happens is the Bolt is constantly calculating the remaining charge left in battery, the distance to your home charging station and the distance to the closest Chevy dealer. It uses a sophisticated algorithm to decide when you are in range trouble at which point it takes over control and drives you to the nearest Chevey dealer so you can buy a Volt with no range anxiety.
HA, HA HA, HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA <gasp for breath> AHAHAHAHAHAHA ha ha ha <passes out from laughing>.

·
Registered
183 Posts

They'll probably base it on range remaining, not percentage remaining. So the Bolt EV percentages will be 2-3x lower than in the Spark EV.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You've all got it wrong... What happens is the Bolt is constantly calculating the remaining charge left in battery, the distance to your home charging station and the distance to the closest Chevy dealer. It uses a sophisticated algorithm to decide when you are in range trouble, at which point it takes over control and drives you to the nearest Chevey dealer so you can buy a Volt with no range anxiety.
So THAT's why GM has been so focused on autonomous driving technology with the Bolt! It all makes sense now!

·
Registered
488 Posts
It'd be nice if there was a preference to set the battery % at which point you start getting low battery warnings. Some folks like to play it cautiously and some folks live in wide open spaces and some folks are space cadets.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It will stop? For a very long time because you need to recharge it. With a level 2 i think it need atleast 24 hrs
You need to get away from the "full charge time" way of thinking. If you ran out of juice, unless you are a complete idiot, you were probably less than 10 miles from your destination. In that case, AAA of the future would have on board generators that can give you enough charge to get you home. Perhaps an hour or less of charging.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
With a 100 mi EV range vehicle (Kia Soul) I could see getting close to the edge range wise if you got ICE'd, but with 240mi EV range.... if you run out of charge- that's on you!

I've been driving since 1978- I've never run out of gas or coasted in to a gas station on fumes, I don't see why it would be any different with an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've been driving since 1978- I've never run out of gas or coasted in to a gas station on fumes, I don't see why it would be any different with an electric vehicle.
The biggest issue would be the relative scarcity of chargers compared to gas stations. When you're low on gas there are usually lots of opportunities to gas up. But when you're low on electrons if you discover that your chosen charging station is out of service then you may have quite a way to go to find another one.

But yeah, as long as you're aware of that and factor it into your planning then with that kind of range I don't expect to suffer from much range anxiety in the Bolt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I didn't see the question directly answered here, and it was shown on one of the test drive videos.

It appears that around 10% State of Charge the Bolt goes into "Propulsion Power Reduced" mode. Perhaps that's something like half power available to the motor similar to the Volt.

·
Registered
921 Posts
... In that case, AAA of the future would have on board generators that can give you enough charge to get you home. Perhaps an hour or less of charging.
Future?

http://www.plugincars.com/aaa-introduces-roadside-emergency-charging-electric-cars-107663.html

That's from 2011, the next article says it was hardly ever used:

http://insideevs.com/aaa-charging-trucks-seldom-see-action/

Last time I saw it at a Drive Electric event, the driver was asking people to tell everyone about it so he would have something to do the rest of the year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts