GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I had the pleasure of being at the GM 2016 Woodward Ave Silent Cruise event near Detroit.

I got to ride along in a short drive in a Bolt EV (we were not allowed to drive them). Also got to meet and speak with a number of people including Josh Tavel (Chief Bolt EV Engineer) and several other wonderful people who worked on the Bolt EV's development.

A lot of information has still not been made public and there was some tight lips around some of the common questions. Though I did get a few bits of information I haven't heard before.

The engineers seemed very proud about the power curve of the Bolt EV. Cars like the Volt and Leaf produce maximum power up to and around 30 to 40 mph. The Bolt EV's motor will produce higher power at higher RPM's for a better high speed driving experience.

The Bolt EV will have a very powerful heater. Significantly more powerful than the Gen II Volt. Though they wouldn't tell me how powerful. However the amount of coolant in the heating system is much less (compared to the Gen II Volt). This leads to faster warm up times and also a lot of attention was payed to the heat exchangers to get heat into the cabin efficiently. They claimed they were pushing coolant into passageways so small that it pushes the limits of the coolant they are using.

The Bolt EV will use a Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire that is the same size as the Volt's however the tires are not the same. The Bolt EV tires will be self sealing and because of the different weight distribution of the Bolt EV and different rim width (Bolt EV will have 6.5" wide rims, Volt has 7" wide rims) the tires will be designed with different performance criteria's. GM OEM tires have a TPC code on the side of the tires. That code is based off a set of performance criteria. So any tire with the same TPC code on them should have a similar performance characteristic.

The Orange shown on the Bolt EV at the Detroit Autoshow will not make it to production. However a similar Orange will be available on the production car. Apparently the paint on the autoshow car was a 9 layer paint that was not practical for production.

The Bolt does stop itself using regen in L or with the regen paddle. There is also no simulated creep while the car in in L. If you lift your foot off the brake in L the car will stay stationary (including a hill hold assist). However while in D the car will still have the creep. So in D when you lift your foot off the brake while flat the car will start to creep forward.

That space in the back deep under the load floor that looks like space for a spare tire isn't a spare tire. It's the space for the sub woofer.

The car feels narrower than the Volt. I'm a big guy and felt comfortable (6'1" and 300+lbs). The seats are certainly firm but I still found them comfortable for the short time I was in them. I had sufficient head room in the back and I could sit behind myself comfortably. Cargo space was also bigger than expected and it had a deep pocket for storage under the fold flat floor pan.

I'm sure I've missed something a lot was talked about. Below are a few pictures I took and a video of the ride along (sorry video a bit shaky at the beginning).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
There is also no simulated creep while the car in in L. If you lift your foot off the brake in L the car will stay stationary (including a hill hold assist). However while in D the car will still have the creep. So in D when you lift your foot off the brake while flat the car will start to creep forward.

Creep Issue solved! What a simple solution. Maybe expect this on-the-fly creep/no creep L/D setting behavior to roll into the Volt Gen3?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Interesting details, thanks for sharing. I wonder when they are going to release the official EPA range numbers? I'm hopeful GM has leaked a lower number and the EPA numbers turn out better than suggested.

That would be killer.

·
1,308 Posts
I didn't realize that was your video that I found this morning and sent to Jeff Cobb. It's embedded in an article he wrote today:

http://www.hybridcars.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-supplier-lg-chem-starts-its-assembly-line-this-month/

So, the implication is that the cabin heating in the Bolt is still using a resistive element rather than using the A/C compressor as a heat pump?

It wasn't discussed on the video, but from watching other past Bolt drive videos I have the impression that you can bring the car to a full stop using the regen paddle even if you are in 'D' drive mode and the creep will be turned off but if you are in 'D' and stop using the brake pedal then it will auto creep when you remove your foot from the brake pedal. I can hardly wait to get behind the wheel to play around with the one pedal driving implementation myself.

Thanks for asking good questions and uploading the video quickly!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Thanks for the post and the link to the YouTube video. Agree that you asked good questions. Looks like it will be a nice ride with plenty of tech.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Great! Thanks for sharing. I love the simple and elegant solution of implementing normal driving with D and 1 pedal driving with L, since any normal driver not wanting 1 pedal driver will just use D anyway.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think there could be some surprises in specs with the Bolt EV as well, thanks for sharing the video.

What did you think of rearview mirror? Any chance to check it out in bright light or anything?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there could be some surprises in specs with the Bolt EV as well, thanks for sharing the video.

What did you think of rearview mirror? Any chance to check it out in bright light or anything?
I didn't get to play with the rear view mirror much. But I did hear other comments on it. Most people seemed to really like it. Many people commented that it will take some getting used to. One comment I heard was that because it's a wide angle lens you don't get great resolution on objects that are somewhat far directly behind you.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't realize that was your video that I found this morning and sent to Jeff Cobb. It's embedded in an article he wrote today:

http://www.hybridcars.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-supplier-lg-chem-starts-its-assembly-line-this-month/

So, the implication is that the cabin heating in the Bolt is still using a resistive element rather than using the A/C compressor as a heat pump?

It wasn't discussed on the video, but from watching other past Bolt drive videos I have the impression that you can bring the car to a full stop using the regen paddle even if you are in 'D' drive mode and the creep will be turned off but if you are in 'D' and stop using the brake pedal then it will auto creep when you remove your foot from the brake pedal. I can hardly wait to get behind the wheel to play around with the one pedal driving implementation myself.
Yes that is my video. I didn't know that Jeff Cobb incorporated it into his story, thanks!

I agree that it seems the implication is that the heater is still resistive. Good question on the regen paddle in D vs L in the Bolt. And I don't know the answer. Perhaps the paddle works like the G2 Volt in D and can bring it to a stop in L? We shall see I guess.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanx for the video!

To bad it won't have the ACC since launch, but at least the GM guy indicated, that it may be available later. I will certainly wait for the ACC.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Thanx for the video!

To bad it won't have the ACC since launch, but at least the GM guy indicated, that it may be available later. I will certainly wait for the ACC.
Need to add something to the 2018 model. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heated Steering Wheel Option?

Thanks for the best dash board visual review that we've seen, to date.
Were you able to learn if there would be a heated steering wheel option?
I looked in vain for the control button.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I agree that it seems the implication is that the heater is still resistive.
Well, it's bad and good.

Bad:
- worse heating efficiency, lowering energy efficiency; in mild to hot locations which are prime markets for PEV heat pumps are most helpful.
Good:
- cheaper than a heat pump; for "Very Cold" locations temperatures drop below effective heat pump temperatures, so heat pumps don't help the effective minimum range
- they've worked on heating system efficiency and perhaps could easily apply it to their other plug-ins.

At least they're working on heating efficiency. But a shame that the heat pumps _still_ aren't at target. :(

I'd ask about maximum charging rate, but I figure that you'd have asked and they wouldn't answer...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts