GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring has sprung in S. Cal. Yesterday in a short interval I observed two new Volts with dealer paper plates (one in HOV lane) and NO Bolts to be seen anywhere. I've seen three total on the road here since intro. Could Volt be Bolt's worst sales enemy? Could be. Bolt: expensive; range limited. Volt: incentives; unlimited range. What's going on here? Dealers here are well-stocked with both cars. Uh,oh.

·
Registered
678 Posts
No, GM's terrible lease deals are the Bolts worse enemy! No one in their right mind would take them up on them!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm wondering if GM made a blunder with the Bolt's styling? The Bolt is clearly aimed at soccer moms and it might be too early to sell EVs to soccer moms. EVs are still mostly being bought by early adopters, my guess is mostly men, who prefer something more stylish. There may be something else working against the Bolt, the Volt is a much better choice as a first EV than the Bolt, the Bolt is more appealing as a second EV. By that I mean for a first time EV buyer the Volt, with it's unlimited range, is a much safer choice. If someone is looking to trade in there Volt on a new car the Bolt is really appealing, that's because you are already sold on electric drive and would like to have a car that can go much farther on electricity.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Small SUVs are one of the hottest market segments; the Bolt EV is an "about time!" for many who need a more upright and spacious package than the Volt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Bolt is not very exiting on the exterior and very under whelming in the interior due to the light gauges and cheap white plastic trim.
It has a great drive train but does not not come across as a 35-40K car. More in the 20-25K range. Look for an updated front and rear plus dark gauges (white on black) and darker (richer) colored trim on the inside going forward. It doesn't matter how cost effective it is if it looks cheap. The Bolt is in trouble when compared to the Volt. The Volt is much better appointed. Nothing about the Bolt is great except it's acceleration and range.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Range. Range. Range. If you can purchase two vehicles, then one all-electric is reasonable. However, for the rest of the workers in society, an all-electric will never have enough range as long as the charging infrastructure does not exist.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Like it or not, half of all EVs/PHEVs are sold in the image conscience state of CA...It's also reported that at least half of all EVs/PHEVs are leased and at least half of all luxury cars are leased...So take the California owner who already owns or leases a low $30Ks BMW/Lexus/Acura, even if they were interested in purchasing an EV, how could they go back to a Chevy? You also going to get what perceived a better dealership experience whether sales or service at a luxury dealer...That's why I said before the launch, if GM did nothing else but put Caddy badge and sell and service at Caddy dealers, it would double the Bolt sales...

Top five reasons it isn't selling:
1. Styling, if they kept the same price/range in a Vette body or an AWD Equinox it would sell double...
2. Brand, a different brand such as Caddy, GMC, Buick or even create it's new brand would improve both image and dealership experience...
3. Price, target should have been $29,995, but even if they got it down to $29,995 and could get 500 miles out of it, the overwhelming majority are NOT ready for an EV including those who live in complex's and cannot charge at home or work...

Small SUVs are one of the hottest market segments; the Bolt EV is an "about time!" for many who need a more upright and spacious package than the Volt.
You're welcome to call the Bolt EV a small SUV, but you're in the minority; it's in the same category as the Honda fit or Nissan Versa...People want a raised suspension, AWD and good looks in their SUV...

The Bolt is not very exiting on the exterior and very under whelming in the interior due to the light gauges and cheap white plastic trim.
It has a great drive train but does not not come across as a 35-40K car. More in the 20-25K range. Look for an updated front and rear plus dark gauges (white on black) and darker (richer) colored trim on the inside going forward. It doesn't matter how cost effective it is if it looks cheap. The Bolt is in trouble when compared to the Volt. The Volt is much better appointed. Nothing about the Bolt is great except it's acceleration and range.
+1...Though I'm not saying the Bolt is in "trouble"; I see the Volt sales continue to increase and GM's original rumored projection of 25K/year in the United States for the Bolt EV...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Lack of infrastructure and looks of the Bolt are the key. I'm not surprised the Gen 2 Volt is doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I am starting to see them regularly on the road here in Silicon Valley. Talking with one of the sales reps at Momentum in San Jose (possibly the largest volume Volt/Bolt dealer in the U.S.) a week ago, he told me that nearly half their Volt/Bolt sales are Bolts. They literally had about 50 Bolts out front on display. And he said they had about another hundred stashed in the back lot and in a couple of parking areas they have around town.

So it really depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
True. A matter of taste. A few people I've talked to really like the looks of the Bolt. I personally can't stand the appearance but love the engineering. I love the flexibility of the Volt and although it's no stunner to look at, I can live with its styling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

3. Price, target should have been $29,995, but even if they got it down to $29,995 and could get 500 miles out of it, the overwhelming majority are NOT ready for an EV including those who live in complex's and cannot charge at home or work...
I'm sure that selling the 200hp, 238mi Bolt for less than the 107hp, 112mi Leaf sounds good on paper but I doubt mfr'g costs support cramming twice the battery, inverter, and motor in for free, and then stuffing $1,550 into the glovebox before shipping them to dealers.

When you look at what you get in a stripped Leaf, or i3, or MS60, the Bolt EV comes up as quite a value.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The trend towards uglification of cars is depressing. Basically all SUV's are ugly, prii are ugly, my Leaf was ugly and I never got over it. So the Bolt's ug factor actually should fit right in. Not for me though. I like the looks of the Volt, and so do most people who've seen and ridden in mine. However, in Bolt's case, you have an ugly car with plastic interior at a near $40k pricetag.

For comparison sake, the Jaguar XKE was, IMHO, just about the most beautiful car ever produced. I've wanted one all my life. The XJ-6 was arguably one of the prettiest 4-door sedans on the road. Jaguar has always made beautiful cars. We need more of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the GM engineers can get the Volt to have the electrical range of the Bolt and still have the Generator for another 300 + miles they will have found the perfect combination for those of us that live in rural western states were 400-600 mile trips to visit family are not that uncommon. Volt looks great get compliments in just two weeks of owning it . Bolt as others have said Soccer mom look.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I see people complaining about the Bolt "styling" and then pointing to a sedan. That's not styling, that's form factor. You want sedan "styling", buy a sedan. The Bolt is not a sedan, wasn't meant to be. I have a sedan (a Volt), now I want a CUV. I certainly expect it to have a CUV form factor, it will not be a sedan. I think the Bolt's CUV styling is arguably as good as any CUV out there.

Regarding the Bolt EV price complaints, I paid the same for my 2011 Volt. And it only gets high 40's EV range on good days.

Regarding the "cheap plastic interior" complaints, the same was said about the Volt. It's still the best car I have ever owned and I have no regrets.

If I had only one car, I'd have a Volt. But as a two-car family, I'll have the best of both worlds, a Volt and a Bolt. The Bolt will replace a Cadillac SRX SUV :)

Wait 3-4 years and the Bolt's price will come down like the Volt's did. New things will be added as well. Of course the tax credit will likely be gone by then so the net price may end up being the same or higher than today. Of course the current Congress and President may be eager to extend the EV tax credits. I doubt it, but who knows?

·
Registered
244 Posts
For comparison sake, the Jaguar XKE was, IMHO, just about the most beautiful car ever produced. I've wanted one all my life. The XJ-6 was arguably one of the prettiest 4-door sedans on the road. Jaguar has always made beautiful cars. We need more of that.
Evidently Mr. Ferrari agreed with you. He made the same statement when the XKE was introduced in 1961.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
So why couldn't GM put the Bolt power train in a downside Corvette body style, and then give it a catchy name....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'm sure that selling the 200hp, 238mi Bolt for less than the 107hp, 112mi Leaf sounds good on paper but I doubt mfr'g costs support cramming twice the battery, inverter, and motor in for free, and then stuffing $1,550 into the glovebox before shipping them to dealers.

When you look at what you get in a stripped Leaf, or i3, or MS60, the Bolt EV comes up as quite a value.
But the mfr'g costs supports an expensive aluminum body, white techie dash and an all new platform...End result? The Bolt looks have a lot in common with the Sparks looks...There's no way of knowing, but what if GM could get the Spark EV to 238 miles for under $29,995 MSRP, would it sell better than the Bolt EV, would GM open up the incentives? That brings up the other point, you point out stripped Leaf/i3/MS60 doesn't have a lot of value but that's basing your assumption off MSRP...Multiple reports say over half lease EVs/PHEVs, the Bolt and even the MS60 do not have favorable leases, the Leaf and i3 on the other-hand can often be leased for HALF of what it costs for the Bolt...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The trend towards uglification of cars is depressing. Basically all SUV's are ugly, prii are ugly, my Leaf was ugly and I never got over it. So the Bolt's ug factor actually should fit right in. Not for me though. I like the looks of the Volt, and so do most people who've seen and ridden in mine. However, in Bolt's case, you have an ugly car with plastic interior at a near $40k pricetag.

I agree with most everything but do think vehicles have steadily improved looks...Go back a decade, "retro modern" was an ugly experiment, last gen Malibu/Camry/Accord were all horribly vanilla...I know this is a Volt forum but I believe we're all unified that the Gen1 Volt wasn't going to win an automotive beauty contest...SUVs are still red hot, now we get a Maserati SUV and Jag SUV hopefully this encourages the non-Vanilla styling trend to continue...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

I think most people would agree, the E-Type was the best looking car that was ever produced, it's too bad that not even Jaguar can make anything remotely close today (the F type is nice bot it lacks that certain something the E-Type had). The British were masters of beautiful cars in the 50s and 60s, it was unfortunate that they were all so unreliable. I would love an electric MG-B or Spitfire, just saying if anybody is listening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts