GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/13/can-general-motors-chevrolet-bolt-really-compete-w.aspx

"The Bolt is not the end point of GM's electric-car push

GM put a tremendous amount of money and effort into the initiative that created the Bolt. It had to develop new supplier relationships, significantly raise its level of software and battery expertise, and create an entirely new vehicle architecture.

It didn't do all of that in order to build just one humble runabout for Lyft and Maven.

I will not be the least bit surprised if GM reveals another electric car (or two, or three) during this winter's auto-show season. I will not be the least bit surprised if the next GM battery-electric vehicle is aimed more directly at Tesla's premium offerings -- and I also won't be surprised if GM says it'll be in production sooner than you'd expect.

Investors in GM and Tesla shouldn't be surprised, either.
"

I also don't believe all that money GM spent on developing the Bolt was just for the Bolt. Some people are (incorrectly) saying the Bolt is a Model 3 "killer", but what if GM has an actual Model 3 killer waiting in the wings? Perhaps to be shown at next year's NAIAS? :cool:

And how about a freaking EREV CUV too!!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
"If GM decides there's a good business case for a Tesla rival, it is absolutely capable of creating a very, very serious Tesla rival."

Early on, Lutz was on the tonight show saying that GM already has a high-end $100k car. It's called the Corvette. I doubt that the Corvette will be a Tesla-killer platform, but, it is highly likely that the Cadillac division would have a car to compete directly with the Model S v.2.0.

GM knows how to build sexy, high-performance cars. Tesla doesn't have any exclusive on this.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Funny when you think of the lumbering, bumbling, stumbling, good-old-boy, stuffed-shirt corporate machine that was GM during the 70's right through recent times- that of all companies..... they become the upstart of auto industry with groundbreaking, reliable, affordable hi-tech products...

Who knew???

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Funny when you think of the lumbering, bumbling, stumbling, good-old-boy, stuffed-shirt corporate machine that was GM during the 70's right through recent times- that of all companies..... they become the upstart of auto industry with groundbreaking, reliable, affordable hi-tech products...

Who knew???
I knew. It was clear to me four years ago when I went out and got a Volt. And it is clearer now.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
GM has the knowledge, experience, and money to design and build a high performance hybrid, such as what imports are doing. We may not have any information because GM wants to keep it secret, as it did for the Bolt concept that was not expected but was revealed in January 2015 next to the Gen 2 Volt which was expected due to some private showing to selected Volt owners here on this forum. So we may see more EREV and other hybrids next year, both regular (such as the Chevy Malibu Hybrid), and plug-in (such as the Cadillac CT6 PHEV). We may see then a new Chevy Corvette model, which is unnamed but I like to call it the "Electric Ray" (it is an a version of the real Stingray), which will combine GM's best engineering for gas engine power with a new RWD electric powertrain uprated from the CT6 design. It may be GM's most expensive production vehicle, but it will compete and win in price/performance ratings against those high price imports.

Hybrid systems in transportation exist for many years. Most of the cargo trains we know as Diesel powered are really hybrids, using the Diesel-fuel engines to move generators, then the power is transmitted to electric motors at the wheels. Modern cargo and cruise ships are also hybrids, using electric motors in external pods (that can rotate 360 degrees) to move them even in port with no assistance from tugboats or harbor pilots. In fact, I bet NOBODY has commented here that the world's largest hybrid vehicles (there are two of them) were made in 1965, have traveled over a million miles at only 2 MPH, and carried the largest and heaviest space vehicles from the VAB to the launchpad in over 50 years. They are the Mobile Crawler Transporters made for NASA to carry eight Saturn Vs (one test and seven flight vehicles), two Saturn 1Bs, all the Space Shuttles several times, one test vehicle (Ares-1X), and now will carry the new Space Transport System with the Orion manned spacecraft to be launched in 2018. NASA has updated them so they are fit to run for sevral decades more.

So hybrid vehicles will continue to exist as the transportation stepping stone for many years as newer electrics begin displacing the gas only vehicles. And GM is already on that path since 2009.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The gist of the article is will they make a "sleeker" and "higher performing" EV...The short answer is probably but we have no idea when or if it even makes sense for that to be their next EV model they release...Larger vehicles such as pickups, mid size cars (Camry/Accord) and midsize SUVs (Rav4/CRV) dominate auto sales...Musk said the ludicrous mode will be an option for the TM3...We don't know how quick that will be, but it could very well beat GM's Camaro/Corvette in the 0-60...Unless GM can get the 0-60 down to where the ludicrous TM3 gets, it doesn't even make sense...I just don't see an expensive BEV based on ATS or CTS...But I could see an electric $100K Vette but that's not really a TM3 competitor...

So maybe the next best vehicle to make an EV would be a midsize SUV (the key would be doing it affordably)...They are spending significant capital into Lyft and Maven...They're most likely spending money to put EV chargers...Lyft has "Lyft plus" which is 6 or more passengers...Therefore perhaps the next best platform to mirror would be a mid-size transverse which has a 3rd row of seating...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ya beat me to it
And they can call that the Chevy Colt (mashup of "C"-UV and B/J/V-"olt"). Of course, Ford may complain that the Colt is nothing more than a baby Mustang and therefore is copyright protected:) BTW, that "Jolt" Photoshop exercise is a sweet-looking ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts