GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm new to GM and Onstar and did not realize exactly what data they were collecting until they sent me the first "Smart Driver Report." Not sure I'm comfortable with what they have collected. I un-enrolled in the program and they promised to delete all of the data. Sharing this in case anybody else is curious.

Here is what they sent me: Smart Driver Report

·
Registered
23 Posts
In a world with increasingly limited " TRUE " privacy that doesn't surprise me. However, I agree that is pretty intrusive. The question is if you can truly opt out. That data may still be gathered but just not shared with you.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
wow, thats kind of scary. Though I can see it being beneficial if you have a teen/young adult driving. Kind of a tattle tale report. Although I'm sure it would be more important for insurance companies to have access to data like that, it's still frightening how much data they can gather. Is there anything in any of the agreements you may have signed or said yes to that had this level of data collection listed in the fine print? Although like many, I'm not fond of having data collected about my driving habits (seriously LATE NIGHT DRIVING?!?!) or anything in general, I also don't have anything to hide and have more or less accepted that in a digital age where even your cell phone tracks your every move, even what apps were run and for how long and reports back to google/apple as being the norm. I do however have to point out that we know these devices/services are available and clearly operational. Even with your request to deactivate the service, I'm sure it's still likely that the data is still collected and stored since its almost certainly programmed in the code to collect and report. The big question however is, what does OnStar/GM do with the data for those who un-enroll?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
That looks similar to data collected by Progressive by their OBD2 device, they use it to give discounts on insurance. Time of day driving, braking habits, acceleration habits all factor into how likely you are to get in an accident.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
What I would expect, more or less. I'd find it useful rather than intrusive but YMMV. If you were bothered you made the right call to opt out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're worried about the data collected yet you posted it on the Internet for all to see?!? I'm confused.

·
Administrator
21,029 Posts
Seems like a numeric version of the Volt's Green Ball efficiency visualization. Hard starts and hard stops are less efficient as most know.

Some will use this feedback to adjust their driving style, others will ignore it.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
You're worried about the data collected yet you posted it on the Internet for all to see?!? I'm confused.
That was my first thought, too. But, then I realized that the OP is not comfortable with continued monitoring of his driving. I do think that the data will still be recorded and sent to GM for analysis, just as the Gen 1 Volt data is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts