GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
They might, and it sure wouldnt of been much damage if the car rolled in a level garage forward or backward. It would of simply touched the cabinets or garage door, maybe $50 in damage.

Now since it had to of somehow accelerated backwards, the picture shows quite a bit more damage to the car and cabinets and wall than would of been caused by a very slow self roll. Instructions or not, it will be interesting if an actual (honest) cause will be made public to me and others. #Hopeful

·
Registered
948 Posts
Now since it had to of somehow accelerated backwards, the picture shows quite a bit more damage to the car and cabinets and wall than would of been caused by a very slow self roll. Instructions or not, it will be interesting if an actual (honest) cause will be made public to me and others. #Hopeful
I'm trying to follow along with the pic -- the side panel of the bench (with the shoes hanging from it) was originally connected to the top surface of the bench, and the drawer was originally just below the top surface of the bench? If so, you're right that seems like more force than would be done by a free-rolling car on a pretty-flat surface.

When your wife found what had happened (or when you first found it), was there anything on the dash lit up?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
seems like more force than would be done by a free-rolling car on a pretty-flat surface.
The car has a mass of 3,580 lbs. It doesn't take much to bust out a press board panel from it's screws. It looks like the car connected with the drawer, causing it to push out the white particle board end.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The car has a mass of 3,580 lbs. It doesn't take much to bust out a press board panel from it's screws. It looks like the car connected with the drawer, causing it to push out the white particle board end.
Yeah could be, but with the floor pretty close to level I didn't figure it would get much speed/force going by rolling freely, but ya never know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Huh? The shifter has no "P position" -- the shifter is like a joystick and always springs back to the same position. If the shifter indicates with a 'P' that it is in the Park state then pushing the Park Button would be redundant. I don't have my Bolt EV yet, but I believe that opening the driver door will automatically switch to Park. The car should also automatically switch to Park if the it is shut off. I suppose you could leave the car running and then scoot out the passenger door without triggering the car to switch into Park....
From the Bolt Owner's Manual:
Shifting Into Park

To shift into P (Park):
1. Hold the brake pedal down and set the parking brake.
2. Press the button on top of the shift lever to shift into P (Park).
3. The P indicator on the shift lever will turn red when the vehicle is in P (Park).
4. Turn the vehicle off.

Step#2 makes it sound as if pushing this button in order to shift into park is required but I could be wrong and a current Bolt owner would have to confirm this...
To clarify, when I said in Park, after I was in reverse, I pressed the P on the shifter, then in red on the dash it said
P
Park

here are the images of what I did, then what I saw, in reference to my comments.
Sounds like the OP recalled doing it correctly, but I have to say that the new EPS (shifter) is going to take some practice for people to get used to it (see the 35 sec video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZCpbH3n1c

After watching this video, it appears that going from reverse to park takes to clicks instead of one like most cars. I'm not saying that what happened here but I could see someone clicking once and thinking they were in park. However, if someone did leave it in neutral, powered down and left the car, then I would assume a number of alerts would happen.

I tried this on my G2 Volt. I turned on the car in the garage and drove a little then stopped the car, shifted to neutral, then turned off the car. The car partially powered down and gave me a "Shift to Park" message and some chimes. The car lights in my dimly lit garage stayed on as well as the radio. In my mind, it would be difficult form me to walk away with a volt or a bolt to be left in neutral, but I've read stranger things happening to owners in different scenarios.

Hope the OP gets this resolved to his satisfaction but it may be difficult to get compensation with no parking brake applied.:(

·
1,308 Posts
After watching this video, it appears that going from reverse to park takes to clicks instead of one like most cars. I'm not saying that what happened here but I could see someone clicking once and thinking they were in park. However, if someone did leave it in neutral, powered down and left the car, then I would assume a number of alerts would happen.
You put the Bolt EV in park by pressing or clicking the dedicated "Park" button once at the top of the electronic shifter.

If you instead were to put the Bolt in neutral and then turn off the car it would automatically go into Park rather than giving you alerts.
From page 202 of the owner manual:

When turning off the vehicle, if the vehicle is not in P (Park), the gear will go to P (Park) and then power off automatically.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The OP lives in southern California... perhaps the vehicle "sensed" a small earthquake and tried to "Bolt" out of the building, but picked the wrong direction and hit the workbench...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If you instead were to put the Bolt in neutral and then turn off the car it would automatically go into Park rather than giving you alerts.
Well, that would make this step#2 completely unnecessary and redundant as you attempted to point out earlier!:D

·
1,308 Posts
From the Bolt Owner's Manual:

Shifting Into Park

To shift into P (Park):

1. Hold the brake pedal down and set the parking brake.
2. Press the button on top of the shift lever to shift into P (Park).
3. The P indicator on the shift lever will turn red when the vehicle is in P (Park).
4. Turn the vehicle off.

Step#2 makes it sound as if pushing this button in order to shift into park is required but I could be wrong and a current Bolt owner would have to confirm this...
I don't think it is required. It's not required in the Prius either which also uses an electronic shifter that acts like a joystick.

They are just telling you the preferred way to shut down the car like that because most people expect to have to put the shifter into Park themselves so GM is trying not to violate conventional assumptions. In other words, you can certainly put it into Park yourself but it isn't really necessary if you are shutting off the car. I almost never use the big fat dedicated park button on my 2004 Prius.

The Bolt manual also implies on page 209 that opening the driver's door or even just unbuckling the driver's seatbelt will also put the car into Park automatically (although Park will not engage if the car is moving at any significant speed).

In other words, to avoid having the car go into Park automatically may require not wearing the driver seat belt and then getting out of the car through the passenger door. This is why the OP's story doesn't make much sense unless there is a software bug that prevented the car from automatically engaging Park itself -- or the OP did something contorted and unconventionsl like what I just described above.

Of course, I don't actually have my Bolt EV yet so my understanding of this comes purely from reading the manual.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You put the Bolt EV in park by pressing or clicking the dedicated "Park" button once at the top of the electronic shifter.

Thanks for pointing that section out from the manual. Now i see you point of it being redundant in that scenario.

So it looks like something weird is going on here. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Hopefully, the OP will keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Wife reports car crashes itself...

Well, Joseph believed Mary too.😂

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

Seems the Owner's Manual is adamant in recommending the electronic parking brake always be set on the Bolt as it gives this same warning multiple times...
The Chevy Malibu manual has nearly the exact same warning about the vehicle possibly rolling without the parking brake set or moving suddenly if left on.

It's a standard warning. It's not specific to the Bolt.

From the 2016 Malibu manual:
"It is dangerous to get out of the vehicle if the shift lever is not fully in P (Park) with the parking brake firmly set. The vehicle can roll.

Do not leave the vehicle when the engine is running. If you have left the engine running, the vehicle can move suddenly. You or others could be injured. To be sure the vehicle will not move, even when you are on fairly level ground, always set the parking brake and move the shift lever to P (Park)."

·
Registered
568 Posts
Even though I don't have bolt -- stuff like this makes me glad I have a security camera in my garage. Super cheap to setup and run excellent night vision to boot.

If everything is on the up and up with OP, too bad you didn't have a garage cam, it would a 5 second open and shut case showing car was just sitting there with nobody inside then started to move.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I don't think it is required. It's not required in the Prius either which also uses an electronic shifter that acts like a joystick.

They are just telling you the preferred way to shut down the car like that because most people expect to have to put the shifter into Park themselves so GM is trying not to violate conventional assumptions. In other words, you can certainly put it into Park yourself but it isn't really necessary if you are shutting off the car. I almost never use the big fat dedicated park button on my 2004 Prius.

The Bolt manual also implies on page 209 that opening the driver's door or even just unbuckling the driver's seatbelt will also put the car into Park automatically (although Park will not engage if the car is moving at any significant speed).

In other words, to avoid having the car go into Park automatically may require not wearing the driver seat belt and then getting out of the car through the passenger door. This is why the OP's story doesn't make much sense unless there is a software bug that prevented the car from automatically engaging Park itself -- or the OP did something contorted and unconventionsl like what I just described above.

Of course, I don't actually have my Bolt EV yet so my understanding of this comes purely from reading the manual.
Perhaps some Bolt owners can do some experiments with some wheel chocks setup a few inches from the wheels as a backup safety measure in case the car actually does roll back a bit after being in reverse.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Wife crashes brand new car because of unfamiliarity with shifter, blames self sentient Bolt

News at 11

·
4,852 Posts
I wonder if WOT will chime in here...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario where it would be undesirable to have the parking brake set when in Park. With the modern electric parking brakes, shouldn't this be done automatically? They release automatically, why not apply them automatically when the Park button or Park lever location is activated?

61 - 80 of 192 Posts