GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
I walked out of the office this afternoon to find a tire totally flat - thankfully, a co-worker had a portable air compressor in his glove box so we pumped the tire up enough to drive to the shop down the road.

And of course as shown in the pic, the object is too close to the sidewall to patch. Oh well, I wasn't in a hurry today so that's good.

But then I thought to myself, hey I thought these are self-sealing tires aren't they? If so, should they have stopped/slowed the leak, or I guess all bets are off when the tire gets harpooned like that?

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
Self sealing refers to the tread area, not the sidewall. Like real estate prices it's all about location, location, location.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That slime garbage is awful. Every shop I’ve ever heard of that gets a clean up charge. A plug/patch kit is much better and easier to use. And trustworthy

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
That slime garbage is awful. Every shop I’ve ever heard of that gets a clean up charge. A plug/patch kit is much better and easier to use. And trustworthy
Also, I believe that some third party slime is not compatible with the TPMS. That could be only a rumor - I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to run the risk when I can use the on-board can supplied by GM for an emergency to get me to a tire shop for the proper repair (plug/patch).

I had such a slow leak in one of my tires while on my road trip last year that I just "topped up" the tire with the on-board air pump each morning . I got the proper repair after returning home.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
761 Posts
No, these aren't self-sealing. Michelin makes self-sealing tires however you would have to check and see if they're available in the proper size. Just use the OEM tire inflation/patch kit and fix ASAP.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Like Steverino said, location, location, location. The Bolt comes with self-sealing tires, but it looks like the screw may have penetrated past the sealer layer. The goop and compressor kit is optional.

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
No, these aren't self-sealing.
The Michelin tires that comes with the Bolt EV are self-sealing. Unless the OP replaced his brand new tires, they are self-sealing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The green slime does not need to be used. but it comes with the kit I linked.
I never put the slime in car tires.
I have used it with bicycle and ATV, dirtbike tires, even in golfcart tires.
With car tires I Only use sticky string. I have not had one fail yet, usually stays galvanized to the tire till the tire worns out and gets replaced.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Michelin tires that comes with the Bolt EV are self-sealing. Unless the OP replaced his brand new tires, they are self-sealing.
Those are the OEM tires, but I guess the comments of location, location, location are correct as apparently that screw was too close to the sidewall...

Oh well, I got a drill bit in a tire in the Volt last year (see below) and that one was almost dead center in the back tire (and as someone here noted back then, it's normally the back tire as the front tire runs over an object and serves it up to jam into the back tire) and that one was plugged easily. But in yesterday's case I wasn't so lucky so had to replace the tire (which was once again a back tire).

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If you read the sidewall of the Michelin EnergySaver A/S tire and see the letters "DT" meaning different tread, the DT label is the manufacturer's designation that this version of the EnergySaver A/S tire has Michelin SelfSeal technology. This is the OEM tire that comes on the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, at least on Bolt's sold in the USA. I wish Chevrolet would make this the standard tire on the Volt too. Cost difference is minimal at ~$13 per tire as priced online versus the same tire without SelfSeal technology. Then GM could remove that marginal 12V air pump and sealant kit from every Volt.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I was curious as to what got into the tire so zoomed in and found that it was a deck screw that did me in -- need to stop driving across decks...

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
And I was curious as to what got into the tire so zoomed in and found that it was a deck screw that did me in -- need to stop driving across decks...
Square drive head for extra torque going in...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK this now makes two tires replaced (in July with 21k miles, now in Dec with 41k miles), two more OEMs to go.

So like the start of this thread from July where someone assisted with identifying the item lodged in the tire (was a deck screw), here's another chance for someone to show their prowess as I am not sure what got into the tire this time. Thankfully, once I hit the object (just off my exit on I-95) I knew it right away due to the very loud thunk-thunk-thunk sound, and was able to change course and make it to the tire shop with 24psi still in the tire. I think the self-sealing tire was a big help, as air was escaping quickly when I pulled over a minute after impact and dash said it was still at 32psi but 5 miles later at the tire shop it only lost 8psi. And BTW, yes it was the rear tire that was punctured after the front tire must have served it up nicely.

So the first pic is of the surface of the tire, and all that shows is the end of the object protruding just a bit from the tire and not really possible to determine what it is. The second pic (sorry for sideways pic, shows normal on laptop) is the actual object that I placed next to a large drink cup to show scale, and I am not sure what it is - my guess is maybe a brake caliper pin? But I bet someone here may know for sure.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
I am not sure what it is - my guess is maybe a brake caliper pin? But I bet someone here may know for sure.
WOW! Given the length, that had to have been attached to something at an angle before it entered the tire. Otherwise it would have been laying horizontal on the road and the tire would have simply rolled over it without issue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
WOW! Given the length, that had to have been attached to something at an angle before it entered the tire. Otherwise it would have been laying horizontal on the road and the tire would have simply rolled over it without issue.
The front tire bounces it up and the rear tire takes the hit.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I almost had to replace OEM tire #3 of 4 today, as I picked up another item... I checked charge status on app last night and saw one tire had the yellow indicator for low pressure. So we went to garage to check the tire and yes there it was, nice and neat in the center of the tire, so I thought oh good a quick patch will take care of it and I'll go the tire shop in the morning.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Rim Automotive wheel system

When the car was on the lift, the guy came out to the waiting room and asked me "did you put a can of fix-a-flat into the tire?" and I said "no, the OEM tires are self-sealing and slows the air leaking out when something gets in there but doesn't stop it totally" - he said well since that goop stuff is in there he may not be able to get a patch to stick to the inside of the tire, but he will scrape it to the side and give it a shot and for me to keep an eye on the pressure. I asked if they could do a plug and he said nope they don't do plugs - I dunno why but I asked.

So after the daily long commute and tire pressure is the same so fingers crossed that all will stay well with that patch.

·
Administrator
21,035 Posts
I lost a whole box of Philips head drywall screws the other day, anyone see them?

Sorry about the orphan you adopted, but it seems the self seal mostly works?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts