GM Volt Forum banner

Bolt EV roof rack/cross bars

22K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  quirkySquirt 
#1 ·
Anyone know or heard anything about a roof rack/cross bars? The Premiers come with roof rails from the factory, so you'd think we would have heard something about an official cross bar accessory....but zilch.

#2 ·
Man,, you are chomping at the bit !! :)

Wish I was you! Fun times for you !
Can I come by and ride in your MD Bolt when you get it?;)

I would think a roof rack / bike rack is a safer bet when it comes to warranty issues vs. a trailer hitch.

But then, I've never tried to put a muddy mtn bike up on a roof rack....

#4 ·
I already tried to convince the dealer to activate Onstar on my Bolt that is still on a train somewhere so I could track it in real time, but he said he couldn't do that till he had a deal signed. Owell. Lol

If you're in the MD area, I could arrange a ride....just have to pay me in booze. :p

I'm not gonna tow anything with the Bolt....cargo-box and/or bike rack would be what the hitch gets used for. Nothing in the owner's manual barring that kind of use. :)

This post has been deleted
#7 · (Edited)
Fit kits coming

The fit kit for both the LT and the Premier Bolt EV just appeared on Thule France with their corresponding installation instructions. Fit kit no 3168 for the Premier trim and fit kit no 1857 for the LT trim. Support up to 75 kg (165 pounds).

[EDIT on April 4th]

Yakima has the fit kit for their Skyline roof system that is now appearing on their fit lookup web site for the Premier trim (nothing yet for the LT). My Yakima retailer tell me that he has some fit kit in order and that he expect them to arrive in about a month or so. Maximal charge of 165 pounds.

Transport Luxury vehicle Water Automotive tire Floor

On the GM side, seems that it is better not counting on them to made crossbars available to go with their roof rails. A GM Canada supervisor told me, without laughing, that the roof rails should be consider as for decorative purpose. So must be the 8 holes made for receiving screws !

#8 ·
The fit kit for both the LT and the Premier Bolt EV just appeared on Thule France with their corresponding installation instructions. Fit kit no 3168 for the Premier trim and fit kit no 1857 for the LT trim. Support up to 75 kg (165 pounds).

[EDIT on April 4th]
Thanks for the info as I have ended up with an LT & want to go kayaking......... ;-)

#9 ·
I got my Yakima roof rack setup last week (Yakima Skyline towers, 50" core bars, landing pads #19). Install was pretty simple.
Definitely recommend getting the locking cores though. You can pop off the bars in less than a minute...which means thieves can also pop them off just as fast!

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Roof rack Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Auto part Roof rack
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Roof Mid-size car
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Roof Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hatchback

#10 ·
I got my Yakima roof rack setup last week (Yakima Skyline towers, 50" core bars, landing pads #19). Install was pretty simple.
Definitely recommend getting the locking cores though. You can pop off the bars in less than a minute...which means thieves can also pop them off just as fast!

View attachment 134185 View attachment 134193 View attachment 134201 View attachment 134209 View attachment 134217
That's a good looking set up. That would handle my canoes and kayaks quite well!!

#11 ·
GM does sell a roof rail option now, but I found it cheaper to buy my Thule hardware via amazon.

• Thule 460 Podium Foot Pack (also comes with end caps for the cross bars)
  • Thule LB50 Roof Rack Load Bars (50-Inch, Set of 2), rated 165 lb load.
  • Thule 3168 Podium Fit Kit for 460 & 460R Foot Pack

Auto part
Automotive exterior Vehicle Roof rack Automotive carrying rack Windshield

When assembling the fit kit to the foot, notice the steel rod running horizontally on the back of the foot. Hold this in place while attaching the fit kit's rubber foot.

Tool

Still holding that rod in place, insert the metal fit kit plate. Thread the two screws just enough so they don't fall out. Too tight and you won't be able to insert the cross bar.

Vehicle Helicopter Helicopter rotor Roof Rotorcraft

Insert the cross bar. They are a bit snug, but push the end through. Do the same for the other foot. You will NOT be able to do this with the feet mounted to the car.

With both feet attached to the bar, carefully lower the foot furthest from you onto the Bolt EV rail, aligning with the rail mounting holes. Lower your side, pushing the foot as needed to fit within the rails.

Insert the security head screws (a bit of a PITA working blind, a mirror may help). Screw in using the provided T30 Torx wrench. I preferred using a T30 security bit in my long, slim Stanley ratcheting screwdriver. Easier to use and lest chance scratching the paint.

Measure the front crossbar overhang. From the foot bar clamp to the bar end should be 5-9/16".
Measure the rear crossbar overhang. From the foot bar clamp to the bar end should be 6-1/8".
Automotive exterior Windshield Vehicle Roof rack Auto part

I marked the bar with a silver Sharpie on both sides of the car so I'll have a way to rest the bars at the correct distance in the future if needed without measuring.

Pop on the bar end caps.

Now fully tighten the screws connecting the fit plate to the feet. This will lock the bars in the left to right position.

Pop on the Thule covers and lock in place. The plastic locks go in with the slit vertical, then press in and turn clockwise so the slit is horizontal. Test the cover. If it easy pulls off, rotate the locking pin 90° counterclockwise, pull it out, rotate 180°so the bottom of the vertical slit is now the top end of the slit. Try locking again.

#12 ·
I sure hope those roof rails are screwed into the roof of the bolt and not 3m taped on. I like the heftiness of what they put on the tops of Subarus and Suburbans.

#13 ·
If I ever pull down the roof liner, I'll look for through bolts. But given that body components of both the Volt and Bolt are assembled with adhesives, I am not concerned. GM knows how to glue cars together for strength, stiffness and less squeaks. :)

#15 ·
Yeah, we're gonna need a source on that. I'm guessing non-structural are glued, though. I can see that (though not impressed by it).

#16 ·
"GM used impact-resistant adhesives before the 2015 model year in some cases, Scharton noted, going back as far as the 2012 Cadillac ATS and Chevrolet Volt. (Subsequent ATS and Volt model years also have the epoxies.)"

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...lision-repairers-gives-sample-joining-how-to/

Here's a 2015 PDF showing GM cars using structural adhesives: http://www.lordfulfillment.com/upload/PB8134_Fusor2098ProductBulletin.pdf

"McGee highlighted other advanced joining on the Bolt by pointing out a single part with silicon bronze and laser welding as well as structural adhesive."

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...etails-about-auto-body-work-on-electric-bolt/

Wait, are cars are glued together, not welded or bolted?
All of the above are used, as well as rivet's.

#20 ·
Thanks, Steverino. I've learned something new. Still getting used to it, though. I only know enough intro physics to recognize amazing things can be done in materials science. All that statics and dynamics to take into account is mind boggling. I'll leave it to the GM engineers this time. Still sour on my misfire issue. >_<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.