GM Volt Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
So if they can't screen out problematic modules, that means even the US packs should have full replacement.
Would appear that is correct. I got an eMail today on my 2022.

Parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available, but when parts are available, your dealer will replace the lithium ion battery modules in your vehicle with new lithium ion battery modules. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

We are working as quickly as possible to correct this condition. When parts are available, we will send you another letter asking you to take your vehicle to your dealer to have your vehicle serviced. You can also check the status of this recall at my.gm.com/recalls.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,144 Posts
i read that in a sample charging group, 85 percent that drive bolts are not following gm recommendations

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
The car was parked in the garage? Seems like the owner ignored GM's notice to park outside until the recall is performed.
Well I am not parking mine outside. I only charge it a few miles per charge during the morning hours no overnight charging, then unplug and leave in garage. Way too many problems leaving the car in the driveway, break-ins, vandalism ...

Seems to be a real rash of issues these days with people not respecting others property, lots of illegals, lots of drug addicted looking for an easy buck. Desperate people do desperate things. My neighbors have had issues in their driveway, now lots of lighting on both his property and mine. No this is not a bad neighborhood, homes in the $600K-$750K ranges, it just attracts those that wish to do you harm. Our police force has to deal with many homeless boiling up out of central Phoenix.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Well I am not parking mine outside. I only charge it a few miles per charge during the morning hours no overnight charging, then unplug and leave in garage. Way too many problems leaving the car in the driveway, break-ins, vandalism ...
Sure, just be aware that any resulting fire or smoke damage will be your (or the Cherokee County owner) responsibility given GM has specifically warned you both not to do what you are doing. Mine's parked outside out of an abundance of caution but to each their own.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Well if it burns GM won't do anything it is up to the insurance companies at that point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone following the new guidance to park 50 ft away from other cars? Are we having to buy empty lots to park our cars now?

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Anyone following the new guidance to park 50 ft away from other cars? Are we having to buy empty lots to park our cars now?
Had not heard of that. Did a google search. Saw a Bloomberg reference.

Curious if there are lawyers behind this to limit their liabilities.

Title: GM to Bolt owners: Park 50 feet from other cars

By BLOOMBERG | September 15, 2021 at 1:36 p.m. | UPDATED: September 15, 2021 at 2:42 p.m. By David Welch and Dana Hull
General Motors Co. urged some owners of Chevrolet Bolt electric cars to park and store the vehicles at least 50 feet away from other cars to reduce the risk that a spontaneous fire could spread.
UPDATE: Article added this source:
The company will be telling Bolt owners who are concerned about parking in public places that it recommends keeping 50 feet from other cars in garages and lots, spokesman Dan Flores said.
2nd article:

GM is advising some Chevrolet Bolt owners to not park their electric cars within 50 feet of other vehicles to reduce the risk of a potential fire spreading to other cars and trucks.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
If they are, apparently I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Installed two fire alarms one wifi with alarm relayed to my phone and bought two big Fire extinguishers.
This is a 2022 I only charge to 70% and discharge to 100 miles only.

I have not heard of 2021 or 2022 fires yet, Keeping fingers crossed....
:(

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
762 Posts
Thanks, now I have this stuck in my head :p

Reactions: arbus

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Installed two fire alarms one wifi with alarm relayed to my phone and bought two big Fire extinguishers.
All seem like prudent moves regardless of the current Bolt situation.

Lithium ion battery fires are considered a Class B flammable liquid fire. A type ABC or BC fire extinguisher is effective against this type of fire depending on the size of the blaze. Water seems to be the choice for fire departments. The water act as much as a cooling agent to dampen (pun!) the fire rather than put it out. Based on fire department news reports, battery fires seem to need about 30,000 gallons of water to. Battery fires can give off toxic fumes. If your detector goes off, will you Evie Knievel into the smoking car, turn it on and drive it out the garage knowing that a fire volcano could erupt at any moment?

Let's say the detector goes off. Seems like step 1 would be call the fire department? Not sure if step 2 is trying to drive the smoking car out or start spraying with the extinguisher and then drive it out? What's your plan?

Reactions: scottf200

·
Registered
735 Posts
:)

I have had all those thoughts, and cannot say I have a 100% plan, if that was the case The car would be in the driveway (which I may still end up doing...)
You are right, Step 1 is the fire department
Step 2 is open the garage doors
I don't think any level of Evie Knievel would allow me to drive the car out. I would assume that if the battery started burning the car would not start. Best I could may be hope would be to turn it on and put it in Neutral so it could be pushed, if we are only at early smoke and not fire....
Step 3 would probably be breaking a window and flooding the car from the inside with two water hoses I have next to the two garage doors. The extinctors would probably be kept to protect the structure until the fire department arrives.

None of that is great......:confused:

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Well if it burns GM won't do anything it is up to the insurance companies at that point.
GM will very likely wash their hands of it as they specifically warned you not to do what you are doing. It would not surprise me if the insurance company denied all or part of the property damage claim based on your willful contributory negligence. You were clearly warned but chose to ignore the warning.

Better to park outside and risk it being vandalized. That's something the insurance company would handle.

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes

2021-09-20
  • LG battery cell and module production resumes with updated manufacturing processes
  • Battery module replacements to begin in October
  • GM to introduce new advanced diagnostics software

81 - 96 of 96 Posts