GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
a torn anode tab and folded separator – present in the same battery cell, which increases the risk of fire.
First time I've seen a reference to what the defects were. Before this they just talked about "two defects".

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
125 Posts
2021-08-20 - General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs

"General Motors is voluntarily expanding the current Chevrolet Bolt EV recall to
cover the remaining 2019 and all 2020-2022 model year vehicles, including the Bolt EUV.
In rare circumstances, the batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have two manufacturing defects – a torn anode tab and folded separator – present in the same battery cell, which increases the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules, with an expected additional cost of approximately $1 billion."
The reporting on the Bolt recall has been VERY confusing. It sounded like they were or weren't going to replace all modules on all Bolts. But going back and going through the same process doesn't sound feasible if software detection isn't working. How many techs does it take to check every cell in 70k cars? Forever, and meanwhile a few more Bolts burn and GM loses a huge amount of customer and new business confidence just as they introduce the Hummer w Ultium cells. And if there's a one off Hummer that burns? The risks are HUGE!

Now I've read an Associated Press article that flatly states all modules in all cars will be replaced. Right or wrong I don't know. But GM needs to step out and clarify this quickly if it's wrong. But if it's wrong GM better have a surefire plan to end the problem.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The reporting on the Bolt recall has been VERY confusing. It sounded like they were or weren't going to replace all modules on all Bolts. But going back and going through the same process doesn't sound feasible if software detection isn't working. How many techs does it take to check every cell in 70k cars?
It sounded like there was going to be a swap from a pool of new batteries, and once the batteries start coming BACK from dealers they can be worked on for whatever refurbishment seems needful.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
But GM needs to step out and clarify this quickly if it's wrong.
GM's media center that Scott linked to says they are recalling all Bolts. They are replacing the defective battery modules.

Any other reporting by news outlets, someone on FB, a blogger (or even here) is second hand based on what GM posted in that linked announcement. I don't think there is much GM can do to police all those "sources".

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
125 Posts
GM's media center that Scott linked to says they are recalling all Bolts. They are replacing the defective battery modules.

Any other reporting by news outlets, someone on FB, a blogger (or even here) is second hand based on what GM posted in that linked announcement. I don't think there is much GM can do to police all those "sources".
The key words are 'defective modules', as if they could be determined from 'defect free' modules. I think GM proved they don't have the tools to do that. The question IS - are they going to just do more software monitoring and testing? Are they going to base module health on THAT? Or are they going to physically break down the modules and go through the cells (individual cells are the issue and going through them seems like looking for needles in haystacks as some of the defects are hidden in pouches and that approach seems likely to allow problems to slip through) or are they going to bite the bullet and replace the whole battery with new modules making up a complete battery build from properly quality controlled cells and end the problem once and for all??????

Some reports say the latter with complete battery replacement. Others, like the quotations given on this thread, aren't clear. If complete battery replacement is the remedy the $billion would probably cover it at cost, maybe. Otherwise the fog continues. GM needs to state clearly what the remedy is. It could be interpreted that GM is hedging their bet. One way I'm happy and satisfied. The other way I cut my losses and go another direction, which would probably be VW.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The key words are 'defective modules', as if they could be determined from 'defect free' modules. I think GM proved they don't have the tools to do that. The question IS - are they going to just do more software monitoring and testing? Are they going to base module health on THAT? Or are they going to physically break down the modules and go through the cells (individual cells are the issue and going through them seems like looking for needles in haystacks as some of the defects are hidden in pouches and that approach seems likely to allow problems to slip through) or are they going to bite the bullet and replace the whole battery with new modules making up a complete battery build from properly quality controlled cells and end the problem once and for all??????
Best guess so far is that GM's going to be refurbishing the batteries while actually doing that "needle in haystack" physical review of the cells inside the modules. The fault in question sounds like it's involving some separator sheets between cells getting folded in some way and cell terminal tabs that aren't where they're supposed to be, and the problems happened during assembly of the cells into the modules.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,144 Posts
dosn't fit my profile
if a robot was screwing up , you would think it would screw up consistently or in the same manner, their would be a certain commoness to the screw up. so then my next thought would be ,if thats the case, then the damaged cells should be, all screwing up, at the same time, more or less and it looks like this is not the case at this time and dont get me wrong, this may fix it. but what if it doesnt, so 1 year to check all batteries, another year to build up trust again with your customers. theres a lot at stake here with you wanting to switch to electrical. what if your just picking the lower hanging fruit and not attacking the root cause.
what does fit my profile
power supply- and once again i might be wrong with it affecting the the batteries, but im not wrong with the problem
all these becm that are dyeing in the volts, is to close to home, to the batteries for me to ignore, if the computers are not running right, and your trying to monitor the problem with them, your setting yourself up for failure. maybe its just becouse i know the damage this can cause. im just like a dog with a bone, wont give up , heck probably tell you how to fix it ,
but if i was gm, i would be looking everywhere and with who ever for a solution and wont really care what it cost
my thoughts, dont yell

·
Registered
125 Posts
I HOPE GM is going w complete replacement as the logistics of doing otherwise, and the risks to their electrification program are too great. And the time element of picking through the components and getting it right appear to me to invite universal ridicule if random fires keep happening - even at a low level.

I'm now convinced GM is likely dithering in the face of a giant effort. I get that it is a huge logistical challenge for LG and GM no matter the final solution. But the final solution needs to be put out quickly. And I'm sensing hedging. There is a little time but, not much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I HOPE GM is going w complete replacement as the logistics of doing otherwise, and the risks to their electrification program are too great. And the time element of picking through the components and getting it right appear to me to invite universal ridicule if random fires keep happening - even at a low level.

I'm now convinced GM is likely dithering in the face of a giant effort. I get that it is a huge logistical challenge for LG and GM no matter the final solution. But the final solution needs to be put out quickly. And I'm sensing hedging. There is a little time but, not much.
Well, the 2017's are already 5 years old so many people are probably already looking to upgrade to another vehicle. The retail on 2017 were going for $13K late last year. It would be cheaper if GM buys these back on auctions for recycling vs replacing the whole pack (probably $10-16K).

·
Registered
125 Posts
The recall has been given with a fresh 8 year/100k warrantee on the battery. For 5 years on a car many probably don't drive more than 10k miles a year, and barely needs to be cared for to keep in top shape, $13k isn't enough I would trade in for another Chevy EV. I was planning on doing that specifically for the EUV. Not now. A 'refurbished Bolt would make a nice used car for those who can't afford to get into a new EV, and that might be an out for 'recycling' the car to get it out on the street and maintain sales.

But I'll keep rather than take the direct monetary loss. And start looking at a VW. Problem is, I couldn't even trade in to VW w/o even a worse loss (though I haven't nailed that). It is what it is.

And GM doesn't look as if it will be bold when it is crucial for them to be BOLD. And not being bold will REALLY cost them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And GM doesn't look as if it will be bold when it is crucial for them to be BOLD. And not being bold will REALLY cost them.
Reading my just received recall notice, it appears that GM is promising new batteries and longer range and yet other sources are indicating GM will try again to detect bad modules (by detecting bad cells?). Meaning no detection then no replacement modules.

Anyone have a SOLID source for what the plan is???

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Reading my just received recall notice, it appears that GM is promising new batteries and longer range and yet other sources are indicating GM will try again to detect bad modules (by detecting bad cells?). Meaning no detection then no replacement modules.

GM official notice vs. "other sources". You are asking which one is a solid source?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Sounds to me that 2017-2019 (1st half) Korean built batteries are 60KWh and 2019 (2nd half) and later US built are 66KWh. So, first batch will get full replacement, latter will only get defective modules replaced.

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Aug 31, 2020 -- Reddit thread: Title: 2017 bolt ev premier exploded
https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/pesn3h
Sep 03, 2020 - InsideEVs article: Recalled 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Catches Fire In Parking Lot
_ Bolt owner Jesus Damian's car was parked in a parking lot near his apartment. He says it wasn't plugged in or running when the fire started. His neighbor watched at 2 AM as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, and he sent video footage to Damian, who was asleep in his apartment.
_ Onlookers told Damian they "heard a loud boom and then cracking sounds and the huge flame." There wasn't much left of the car after the fire department was done with it, and sadly, other nearby cars were damaged as well.
_ Damian said he posted the information on Reddit so that people will see and understand that this is really happening to Bolt owners. He also went on to say that he plans to sue GM. A Chevy spokesperson has already been in touch with Damian and noted that an investigation has been started.

Picture comment:
"So my Chevy bolt ev 2017 exploded after getting the recalls done. I called Chevy and they told me to wait for someone to"

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Letter from GM says "new" modules and 8/100K warranty on same for my cohort (Korean batteries). Recent comments from GM indicate new packs for all years since the QC and testing methods can't for sure screen out problematic modules made to date.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Letter from GM says "new" modules and 8/100K warranty on same for my cohort (Korean batteries). Recent comments from GM indicate new packs for all years since the QC and testing methods can't for sure screen out problematic modules made to date.
So if they can't screen out problematic modules, that means even the US packs should have full replacement.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So if they can't screen out problematic modules, that means even the US packs should have full replacement.
I think so. GM has big plans to introduce EVs in the next 3 years. They have to get the safety issue fixed and behind them. One step back before they can go multiple steps forward.

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Below via: Cherokee County Fire Department | Cherokee County, GA, USA viewed 13-Sep-2021
Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Services responded to a structure fire this morning, just shortly after 9 o’clock, at 2691 Trinity Church Road off Free Home Highway.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke coming from inside the garage. The homeowner stated that all of his smoke alarms started going off and he went outside to find smoke coming from an adjoining garage. The fire appeared to be coming from a 2019 Chevy Bolt electric vehicle. The vehicle was pulled from the garage; however, it had already received extensive damage. Another vehicle inside the garage, a 2017 Dodge Ram, received some smoke damage.

According to Battalion Chief, Ricky Collett, “Firefighters worked hard to keep the fire from spreading to the house that was next to the garage.” The fire is under investigation, however, General Motors reported last month that all 2019-2020 Bolt EVs are now being recalled because of one and, in some cases, two defects in the battery cells that could lead to fire.

No injuries have been reported.

Posted : September 13, 2021

61 - 80 of 96 Posts