GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Turns out the service advisor was wrong when I first talked to him, they don't drop the battery first. I passed diagnostics so the recall was quick and easy. After a thousand or more charges to 100% and 31000 miles, the battery capacity is 100%.
Interesting question what happens if the warranties are expired and the car bricks because the cells go out of spec. Presumably, GM spent 6 months figuring out the problem was indeed a manufacturing rather than a design defect. Rare enough that failures might simply be handled as individualized customer satisfaction actions. Palouser's 20 year old Bolt bricks, well BEV2 cells went out of production 15 years ago so here's X dollars off a new whatever.

Reactions: Palouser

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I think you miss my point. Barring an announcement from GM that they will continue to support owners past warrantee on cell failures then expensive repair costs could the future and the owner just cuts their losses. The usual 'keep it until the wheels fall off' isn't really relevant if replacing cells one at a time becomes the 'fix' down the line instead of the normal progression of degradation of the battery as a whole.

The monitoring software is an admission the problem may not go away. It IS a proven problem and not a 'non-existant issue'. Replacing bad cells would go to the heart of the reliability an EV should offer.

I know the 'drive til the wheels fall off' strategy because that's my usual policy but, I've never had this kind of red flag come up so early in the expected life of any vehicle I've had, and I've run a whole range of machinery.
GM's approach is to scan the battery looking for bad cells, replace them if found, and put in monitoring software to prevent a fire just in case something goes sideways in the future.
If the scan finds no bad cells, great, but install monitoring software just in case.

I guess you are saying because there is a possible cell issue in some Bolt batteries, and because GM is correcting it with cell replacement as needed and a software fix as well, they should also extend the warranty? Hey, sounds great to me but I'm not sure how this is different than having a cell issue with my out of warranty 2011 Volt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GM's approach is to scan the battery looking for bad cells, replace them if found, and put in monitoring software to prevent a fire just in case something goes sideways in the future.
If the scan finds no bad cells, great, but install monitoring software just in case.

I guess you are saying because there is a possible cell issue in some Bolt batteries, and because GM is correcting it with cell replacement as needed and a software fix as well, they should also extend the warranty? Hey, sounds great to me but I'm not sure how this is different than having a cell issue with my out of warranty 2011 Volt.
Yeah, did Nissan extend the Leaf battery to unlimited warranty? I think not.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did they admit to you and the public that the Volt had a manufacturing problem with cells at 30k miles on your car not related to normal degradation and can't verify when and how often the problem might manifest itself? I'm happy that they might be able to reliably keep a car from burning up but it doesn't claim to solve the problem as they aren't examining every cell, just in a position to catch a fault when it happens, and send out a warning error I assume.

I'm not here to pound on GM because there was a quality control issue on some cells at some undetermined rate of failure. I'm confident that they recognized the problem and adjusted current manufacturing procedures. But most reputable companies , even if not eager, will usually acknowledge responsibility for a final correction or adjustment. Even 'Made With Love' Suburu replaced variable speed transmissions at $7500 a pop after the warrantee due to a poor design (supposedly caused by one inadequate bearing) - when customers were insistent. I get it. It happens. But it's not good policy to abandon customers to a known problem. And I don't know for sure that GM will do that. I want to know if they'll do something for continuing issues. I'm relatively sure they've talked about it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, did Nissan extend the Leaf battery to unlimited warranty? I think not.
The Leaf had massive failure of the complete battery of early Leafs due to lack of thermal management and redesigned the battery recipe to avoid complete failure of the Leaf program. They replaced the faulty batteries. It was due to heat and charging degradation in prime markets of Southern California and Arizona. Had Nissan not taken action the Leaf program was likely going to fail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Leaf had massive failure of the complete battery of early Leafs due to lack of thermal management and redesigned the battery recipe to avoid complete failure of the Leaf program. They replaced the faulty batteries. It was due to heat and charging degradation in prime markets of Southern California and Arizona. Had Nissan not taken action the Leaf program was likely going to fail.
The Lizard Pack did not do any better from what I heard when it first released. Lots of limping Leafs in the used car market. If you check. Leaf needs sodium. Ion battery not Lithium ion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Lizard Pack did not do any better from what I heard when it first released. Lots of limping Leafs in the used car market. If you check. Leaf needs sodium. Ion battery not Lithium ion.
You make my point. Nisan is remembered for screwing up the basic design and never got it right. They learned that they had to do things differently but, the new Leaf, with a thermally conditioned battery, has undoubtedly been hobbled by Nissan's previous missteps. I don't think GM made a basic design mistake as far as I know so they are in a better position to deal with their issue. The story is that there were cell manufacture errors that, since GM's battery modules are repairable, can be dealt with. But, if like the Leaf, the problem continues past warrantee, then GM customers are going to be just as resentful as the Leaf customers are if GM doesn't support customers regarding individual cells. If GM is positive they have fixed the problem for good then they shouldn't have any reason to hesitate to back cell replacement from a known problem. The detection software would point them directly to the cells later if they passed the test this time (anomalous cell voltage differences) but fail from a flaw later.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
You make my point. Nisan is remembered for screwing up the basic design and never got it right.
Early Leafs in hot states like Arizona, California, Texas were dramatically losing battery range during the warranty as I recall, not after. And Nissan wasn't addressing it, they essentially blamed buyers for being in hot states!

"The warranty is not related to battery capacity. The warranty is related to motor output. So if the battery has degraded to a point where the motor can't get enough power from the battery, then it's a warrantable event. But if someone abuses the battery – parks it outside in 140 degrees and all that - and they have 60 percent capacity after eight years, that's on them. They abused it."

Today's AZ weather forecast: EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM MST SUNDAY.

Now, we all (should) know that heat can kill or severely degrade a battery, but Nissan's "cooling" system was not designed as an active coolant-based thermal cooling like the Volt's. I think of it more like having someone blowing on the batteries to cool them. It was that inadequate cooling method plus the heat that was doing in early Leaf's. Oddly, Nissan called the Volt's cooling system overly complicated and unneeded compared to the Nissan superior air cooling! Lol

They finally had some town hall meetings, and then addressed it with some cars but not others. See Nissan Leaf owners fear the worst, hope for the best

Meanwhile, I feel GM has been proactive whether it was fixing the 2011 Volts with further side impact and rollover battery protection, or the Bolt battery testing and software upgrade. Whether you agree with their approach or not, the obligation is during the warranty. If you have an issue during the warranty they will fix it. Outside the warranty, it's like anything else with an expired warranty. I sure hope my Bolt performs outside warranty as well as my 2011 Volt is doing, but time will tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's an article... ah, ok, so it's better but because 30KWh Leaf did not have 80% charge limit, the batteries degraded faster. I still would not recommend anyone, esp in hot climates to get a Leaf. Remember, DCFC is going to get the battery very hot regardless of the ambient temp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's an article... ah, ok, so it's better but because 30KWh Leaf did not have 80% charge limit, the batteries degraded faster. I still would not recommend anyone, esp in hot climates to get a Leaf. Remember, DCFC is going to get the battery very hot regardless of the ambient temp.

Right! And we don't want Bolts known for a factory defect that dogged them and resulted in owners dumping them before warrantee. Unlike the Leaf, I think everyone agrees the basic battery design for the Bolt is fine. The issue is random cells that aren't up to manufacture specs and break down. Besides, the battery IS repairable if a cell breaks down from a defect. I'm not worried about general degradation. If GM stood up now and said that any cells that breakdown due to manufacture will be replaced now and past warrantee the issue would be resolved. If manufacture isn't a future issue GM shouldn't be too worried. I'd keep my Bolt.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right! And we don't want Bolts known for a factory defect that dogged them and resulted in owners dumping them before warrantee. Unlike the Leaf, I think everyone agrees the basic battery design for the Bolt is fine. The issue is random cells that aren't up to manufacture specs and break down. Besides, the battery IS repairable if a cell breaks down from a defect. I'm not worried about general degradation. If GM stood up now and said that any cells that breakdown due to manufacture will be replaced now and past warrantee the issue would be resolved. If manufacture isn't a future issue GM shouldn't be too worried. I'd keep my Bolt.
How many % of the Bolts are affect by this 'defect' you speak of? How many % of the owners have dumped their Bolts and buying used Leafs? What is GM doing or not doing right now about the battery situation?

A 2 year old Fiat 500e was going for $7K a couple years ago. So can I buy a 2 year old Bolt for $7K? Do you have one? Want to sell it for $7K?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I understand you're not sympathetic to my argument but I don't understand why you want to look like a **** by responding with the ridiculous and off topic. What point you had you made a long time ago.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts