GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
For the first part of my career, I was as software tester for a large communications company - so I too made a career out of 'ghosts in the machine'. Sadly, nowadays I just attend virtual meetings, keep up with emails, and don't do any "real" work anymore.
complete opposite for me, to the point of, where i hide
cause, if their is one thing I know, is that everybody and i mean every one, has something that needs fixing.
i have no formal training but did pick up a couple trades along the way. and equipment repair is self taught
i have stayed out of the working of the volt pretty much becouse it is still under warranty and i respect that
but when my 2017 volt started acting up, my training kicked in , before i knew it i had the parts to combat the problem and installed in 3 days. its been good since
but I am a cause and effect type of person, where I try to determine the problem, apply a solution and see what effect , if any happens to the original problem. i have been payed well for this and had great success and fun doing it
but here i sit today with info that might help GM but am hesitant to say anything becouse the effect time for me hasn't been long enough, even though i have now applied it to my2016 volt with same results
the fact that my 2017 volt starting having problems the same time the bolts are having a problem is a red flag for me
this is sitting heavy on me
but the last thing I want is some ones house burning down becouse they followed my recomendations
so here i sit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Customer Service message I think clarifies and summarizes things well. Looks like as much information as we could expect at this point.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Similarly, I didn’t touch my volt, even paid the dealership to do oil changes just in case they fried the vehicle, it would be on them. But now at 150k miles I’m doing my own maintenance except I can’t very well spit new software into the volt. So they did the last battery balancing recall.

complete opposite for me, to the point of, where i hide
cause, if their is one thing I know, is that everybody and i mean every one, has something that needs fixing.
i have no formal training but did pick up a couple trades along the way. and equipment repair is self taught
i have stayed out of the working of the volt pretty much becouse it is still under warranty and i respect that
but when my 2017 volt started acting up, my training kicked in , before i knew it i had the parts to combat the problem and installed in 3 days. its been good since
but I am a cause and effect type of person, where I try to determine the problem, apply a solution and see what effect , if any happens to the original problem. i have been payed well for this and had great success and fun doing it
but here i sit today with info that might help GM but am hesitant to say anything becouse the effect time for me hasn't been long enough, even though i have now applied it to my2016 volt with same results
the fact that my 2017 volt starting having problems the same time the bolts are having a problem is a red flag for me
this is sitting heavy on me
but the last thing I want is some ones house burning down becouse they followed my recomendations
so here i sit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
Similarly, I didn’t touch my volt, even paid the dealership to do oil changes just in case they fried the vehicle, it would be on them. But now at 150k miles I’m doing my own maintenance except I can’t very well spit new software into the volt. So they did the last battery balancing recall.
made it to 109,000 km on one volt and 60,000 km on the other volt before i was forced to work on them
had to do something, its an investment for me too
ya, i cant code either but I'm sure you could do updates , but it just comes down to time, or lack of.
It will be curious what GM decides is the cause, what i do know is, it wont be easy

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have both 2017 and 2019 Bolts but haven’t gotten any recall letters. Both the wife and I have received the notification through the Chevy app, but of course they really want us to schedule a service visit. I keep my 2017 on hilltop mode all the time because we live on top of a hill!!! The 2019 is the same. I’m still waiting for my recall notice hardcopy. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if we receive the official lette.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
if you are curious about your batteries volt or bolt
i have tried on my volt , bolt i dont know , but it has a setting for bolt
IMG_3683.PNG

there an app mygreenvolt and they are on face book, think app cost 5 bucks
IMG_3681.JPG

you need this that plugs in plug under dash, by steering wheel. i used a mx one for my volt, but they recommend a mx+

IMG_3684.PNG

it also gives temp of batteries

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
if you are curious about your batteries volt or bolt

there an app mygreenvolt and they are on face book, think app cost 5 bucks

you need this that plugs in plug under dash, by steering wheel. i used a mx one for my volt, but they recommend a mx+

it also gives temp of batteries
Personally, I'll just go by the check engine light. I don't want to monitor all this data worrying about something that might or might not happen. Battery degradation will indeed happen, the question is at what rate and whether there is an expensive battery replacement in your immediate future. I've gotten 150k miles in 7 years with my Volt. I'll keep driving it for now, but it's done it's job, saved me lots of money on fuel, and I view every mile more as a blessing. I'm now working from home due to a job change (prior to the pandemic) so I've gone from 20k+ miles per year to barely anything. At this rate, I'll never catch up to Sparky, the record setting Volt.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
pandemic sucks
just posted that incase theres a bolt just south of the north pole or somewhere where a dealer is not an easy option
may help, may not. sometimes to much info is not a good thing either, look at me, made me a mess:)

3,605 Posts
We have both 2017 and 2019 Bolts but haven’t gotten any recall letters. Both the wife and I have received the notification through the Chevy app, but of course they really want us to schedule a service visit. I keep my 2017 on hilltop mode all the time because we live on top of a hill!!! The 2019 is the same. I’m still waiting for my recall notice hardcopy. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if we receive the official lette.
Hey Woodturner,

We understand you and your wife still waiting to receive a hard copy of the recall letter for both of your Bolt EVs. In the meantime, if you'd like for us to confirm both VINs have the recall and assist with scheduling appointments for the software update, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Be sure to include "ATTN: Chevrolet | woodturner | GM Volt Forum" so that we know it's you.

Eddie A.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts