GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,071 Posts
For the first part of my career, I was as software tester for a large communications company - so I too made a career out of 'ghosts in the machine'. Sadly, nowadays I just attend virtual meetings, keep up with emails, and don't do any "real" work anymore.
complete opposite for me, to the point of, where i hide
cause, if their is one thing I know, is that everybody and i mean every one, has something that needs fixing.
i have no formal training but did pick up a couple trades along the way. and equipment repair is self taught
i have stayed out of the working of the volt pretty much becouse it is still under warranty and i respect that
but when my 2017 volt started acting up, my training kicked in , before i knew it i had the parts to combat the problem and installed in 3 days. its been good since
but I am a cause and effect type of person, where I try to determine the problem, apply a solution and see what effect , if any happens to the original problem. i have been payed well for this and had great success and fun doing it
but here i sit today with info that might help GM but am hesitant to say anything becouse the effect time for me hasn't been long enough, even though i have now applied it to my2016 volt with same results
the fact that my 2017 volt starting having problems the same time the bolts are having a problem is a red flag for me
this is sitting heavy on me
but the last thing I want is some ones house burning down becouse they followed my recomendations
so here i sit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Customer Service message I think clarifies and summarizes things well. Looks like as much information as we could expect at this point.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
Similarly, I didn’t touch my volt, even paid the dealership to do oil changes just in case they fried the vehicle, it would be on them. But now at 150k miles I’m doing my own maintenance except I can’t very well spit new software into the volt. So they did the last battery balancing recall.

complete opposite for me, to the point of, where i hide
cause, if their is one thing I know, is that everybody and i mean every one, has something that needs fixing.
i have no formal training but did pick up a couple trades along the way. and equipment repair is self taught
i have stayed out of the working of the volt pretty much becouse it is still under warranty and i respect that
but when my 2017 volt started acting up, my training kicked in , before i knew it i had the parts to combat the problem and installed in 3 days. its been good since
but I am a cause and effect type of person, where I try to determine the problem, apply a solution and see what effect , if any happens to the original problem. i have been payed well for this and had great success and fun doing it
but here i sit today with info that might help GM but am hesitant to say anything becouse the effect time for me hasn't been long enough, even though i have now applied it to my2016 volt with same results
the fact that my 2017 volt starting having problems the same time the bolts are having a problem is a red flag for me
this is sitting heavy on me
but the last thing I want is some ones house burning down becouse they followed my recomendations
so here i sit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,071 Posts
Similarly, I didn’t touch my volt, even paid the dealership to do oil changes just in case they fried the vehicle, it would be on them. But now at 150k miles I’m doing my own maintenance except I can’t very well spit new software into the volt. So they did the last battery balancing recall.
made it to 109,000 km on one volt and 60,000 km on the other volt before i was forced to work on them
had to do something, its an investment for me too
ya, i cant code either but I'm sure you could do updates , but it just comes down to time, or lack of.
It will be curious what GM decides is the cause, what i do know is, it wont be easy

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have both 2017 and 2019 Bolts but haven’t gotten any recall letters. Both the wife and I have received the notification through the Chevy app, but of course they really want us to schedule a service visit. I keep my 2017 on hilltop mode all the time because we live on top of a hill!!! The 2019 is the same. I’m still waiting for my recall notice hardcopy. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if we receive the official lette.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,071 Posts
if you are curious about your batteries volt or bolt
i have tried on my volt , bolt i dont know , but it has a setting for bolt
IMG_3683.PNG

there an app mygreenvolt and they are on face book, think app cost 5 bucks
IMG_3681.JPG

you need this that plugs in plug under dash, by steering wheel. i used a mx one for my volt, but they recommend a mx+

IMG_3684.PNG

it also gives temp of batteries

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
if you are curious about your batteries volt or bolt

there an app mygreenvolt and they are on face book, think app cost 5 bucks

you need this that plugs in plug under dash, by steering wheel. i used a mx one for my volt, but they recommend a mx+

it also gives temp of batteries
Personally, I'll just go by the check engine light. I don't want to monitor all this data worrying about something that might or might not happen. Battery degradation will indeed happen, the question is at what rate and whether there is an expensive battery replacement in your immediate future. I've gotten 150k miles in 7 years with my Volt. I'll keep driving it for now, but it's done it's job, saved me lots of money on fuel, and I view every mile more as a blessing. I'm now working from home due to a job change (prior to the pandemic) so I've gone from 20k+ miles per year to barely anything. At this rate, I'll never catch up to Sparky, the record setting Volt.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,071 Posts
pandemic sucks
just posted that incase theres a bolt just south of the north pole or somewhere where a dealer is not an easy option
may help, may not. sometimes to much info is not a good thing either, look at me, made me a mess:)

3,608 Posts
We have both 2017 and 2019 Bolts but haven’t gotten any recall letters. Both the wife and I have received the notification through the Chevy app, but of course they really want us to schedule a service visit. I keep my 2017 on hilltop mode all the time because we live on top of a hill!!! The 2019 is the same. I’m still waiting for my recall notice hardcopy. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if we receive the official lette.
Hey Woodturner,

We understand you and your wife still waiting to receive a hard copy of the recall letter for both of your Bolt EVs. In the meantime, if you'd like for us to confirm both VINs have the recall and assist with scheduling appointments for the software update, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Be sure to include "ATTN: Chevrolet | woodturner | GM Volt Forum" so that we know it's you.

Eddie A.

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
General Motors Co said Thursday it has completed a software update to address a recall of nearly 69,000 Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicles for fire risks and will replace battery module assemblies as necessary.

GM said dealers will use "diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary." They will install "advanced onboard diagnostic software into these vehicles that, among other things, has the ability to detect potential issues related to changes in battery module performance before problems can develop" the automaker added.

Owners of 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs will be able to software update starting today and 2017 and 2018 Bolt EVs owners will be eligible by the end of May.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Article from yesterday.

beg_quote
--------------------
A source at GM also told us something we didn’t know: four of the six other fires had a pattern where the owners would typically run the car low, then charge to full. This is why the temporary fix was to limit the charge to 95% (of previous maximum) to help reduce the risk of fire. Additionally, the temporary fix did not include any additional diagnostics or reporting – it was only a charge limit. There was no lower end limit.

In summary:
  • The temporary recall fix had already been applied.
  • The owner did not charge to full often, if ever. Even if he did, the initial recall fix would have limited it.
  • The car was typically charged when it got down to about 30 miles of range left and stopped between 160-180. That’s about 65-75%.
  • The car was rarely used – only 19,000 miles over 2.5 years of ownership.
  • There was no damage to the car.
  • The car had not been driven that morning, and it was unplugged at around 75% charge.
  • The car was unplugged at the time of the fire and had been for several hours.
--------------------
end_quote

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I got my notice. I've been using Hilltop Reserve since day one.
Ditto on the HTR since new but I have had mine repurchased. Here is my post from Bolt site.

Just got my offer letter today, signed dated and approved. They said it would take a week or so for the paperwork to get to my dealer of choice.
First call to EV concierge 2/19/2021
She called 2 days later saying my buyback was approved.
Crickets for 5 weeks Crickets.
London broil posted his letter in another thread with the phone # for the repurchase coordinators office.
Called them on 4/1/2021 and was told my case was not assigned yet.
Called again on 4/5/2021 and they transferred me over to my case manager. Sent everything she asked for same hour.
Got email today 4/6/2021 with the formal written offer.
In July 2017 LT all options I purchased new no loan.
$38,000.00 on the road
-$8,000.00 for 2012 Volt with 70k miles.
-$7500 Federal credit
-$3,000.00 State credit
$19,500.00 on the road
Repurchase offer $32,242.22
Will probably get a 2021 Premier all the options.
Woo Woo Woo and one for good measure.
Thank you GM

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
Had the final fix applied to my 2017 Bolt EV. Took about 2 hours after being dropped off, including diagnostics. The software was updated, no cells needed replacing.

I'm parking inside the garage again :)

Reactions: Jmaj

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Did you find out what the software update does (how it fixed the possibility of the problem)?

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
Did you find out what the software update does (how it fixed the possibility of the problem)?
As part of the service procedure, dealers will utilize GM-developed diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary. The remedy will also include the installation of advanced onboard diagnostic software into these vehicles that, among other things, has the ability to detect potential issues related to changes in battery module performance before problems can develop.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Had an interesting chat with my service advisor today about my upcoming Bolt recall. First step they do is drop the battery enough to inspect the electrical connectors besides looking for any damage to the case. If all that looks good they proceed to the diagnostics and then reprogramming.
This was the first I heard of dropping the battery as part of the recall.

·
Registered
111 Posts
First step they do is drop the battery enough to inspect the electrical connectors besides looking for any damage to the case. If all that looks good they proceed to the diagnostics and then reprogramming.
This was the first I heard of dropping the battery as part of the recall.
If they are dropping the battery and then doing diagnostics and reprogramming then it means repairs would be fairly quick if they had the parts on hand as I brought my Bolt in, then to the store for less than an hour ans went back next door to get my glasses I'd forgotten on the seat and it was all done but the paper work. Started to leave with the car and they said wait! The paper work is done too! This is a podunk town that probably only sevices a few EVs and they're on top of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As part of the service procedure, dealers will utilize GM-developed diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary. The remedy will also include the installation of advanced onboard diagnostic software into these vehicles that, among other things, has the ability to detect potential issues related to changes in battery module performance before problems can develop.

One of my issues is the possibility of crushing 'depreciation' of ANY further problems AFTER the 'fix'. Depreciation isn't the Bolt's strong point anyway. The second issue is, a cell/module problem AFTER the warrantee that arguably stems from whatever manufacturing issues may still linger on. The software may or may not be 100% reliable (and I'll guess that is a VERY high bar). I'm an admirer of GM's engineering expertise on their entire EV program and the future looks very bright. Things happen. I'm just very reluctant to pay the price and bear the burden as a customer for an issue with a program that I otherwise admire. Puts me in a bad position as I've been neck deep in promoting GM's EV program and it's likely future.

·
Administrator
20,882 Posts
One of my issues is the possibility of crushing 'depreciation' of ANY further problems AFTER the 'fix'.

The second issue is, a cell/module problem AFTER the warrantee that arguably stems from whatever manufacturing issues may still linger on. The software may or may not be 100% reliable (and I'll guess that is a VERY high bar).
I don't see the point worrying about unproven future maybe's. If these non-existent issues really bother you, perhaps sell the car now while used car prices are at an all time high.

Car's have always been a depreciating asset, most are not an investment but a money hole. Depreciation only matters if you churn cars every few years. If you buy and hold, it hardly matters. I'm keeping my Volt and my Bolt until they die mechanically or repair costs exceed my comfort level. After 10-15 years, depreciation is a non-issue for me, repair costs are. So far, those costs have been miniscule. YMMV

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't see the point worrying about unproven future maybe's. If these non-existent issues really bother you, perhaps sell the car now while used car prices are at an all time high.

Car's have always been a depreciating asset, most are not an investment but a money hole. Depreciation only matters if you churn cars every few years. If you buy and hold, it hardly matters. I'm keeping my Volt and my Bolt until they die mechanically or repair costs exceed my comfort level. After 10-15 years, depreciation is a non-issue for me, repair costs are. So far, those costs have been miniscule. YMMV
I think you miss my point. Barring an announcement from GM that they will continue to support owners past warrantee on cell failures then expensive repair costs could the future and the owner just cuts their losses. The usual 'keep it until the wheels fall off' isn't really relevant if replacing cells one at a time becomes the 'fix' down the line instead of the normal progression of degradation of the battery as a whole.

The monitoring software is an admission the problem may not go away. It IS a proven problem and not a 'non-existant issue'. Replacing bad cells would go to the heart of the reliability an EV should offer.

I know the 'drive til the wheels fall off' strategy because that's my usual policy but, I've never had this kind of red flag come up so early in the expected life of any vehicle I've had, and I've run a whole range of machinery.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts