GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Code:
https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-support/safety/boltevrecall
As you may be aware, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation into a few reports the agency received from Chevrolet Bolt EV owners about potential fires. GM had already been investigating these reports prior to that announcement, in cooperation with NHTSA.

We wanted you to hear directly from Chevrolet about your vehicle and what you can expect from us. General Motors and Chevrolet have decided to voluntarily recall select 2017-2019 model-year Chevrolet Bolt EVs with high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea facility that may pose a risk of fire when charged to full, or very close to full, capacity.

The safety of our products is the highest priority for the entire GM and Chevrolet team. We are working around the clock on our continued investigation.
We will be providing our dealers with a software update beginning November 17, 2020 that will limit the charge for all the vehicles in this population to 90% while we continue to investigate the cause of these incidents. In the meantime, we know that the safety of our owners and their families is paramount, which is why we’re asking owners to take the following steps now that will limit the charge capacity to 90% and reduce the risk of fire.

If you have a 2017 or 2018 model-year Bolt EV:
• Change the vehicle charge settings to use the Hill Top Reserve option

If you have a 2019 model-year Bolt EV:
• Change the vehicle charge settings to enable Target Charge Level at 90%

For instructions on how to activate these settings, please watch the video above.
If you are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes,
we ask you to not park your car in your garage or carport until after you have visited your dealer.

We recommend scheduling a service appointment with your dealership beginning November 17 to update the vehicle’s battery software to automatically limit the maximum state of charge to 90 percent. Our engineers are working around the clock to identify a permanent fix and we intend to deploy a final remedy to remove the 90% limitation as quickly as possible after the first of the year, 2021.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
wonder how old the 12 v battery were in those bolts that caught fire
These Bolts have the same LG Chem pouch batteries as the Kia Kona. Both vehicles have been recalled world wide.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Here is a pretty good YouTube video that discusses EV fires as well as ICE fires.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
I got my notice. I've been using Hilltop Reserve since day one.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I charged mine to 100% around a thousand times and it's spent thousands of hours at that level. I would say it's passed a proof test.
No change in routine indicated.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
820 Posts
guess the first question is, is it the cells that have a problem or the management that controls them
does the kia have the same cell management as the bolt, volt. i would think since its lg chem batteries, i would think, it would be their batt management system. is the management system the same across different platforms, I dont know

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I guess my question is; Why select Bolts? Does it have to do with those produced at a certain plant or a specific production run? The long term fix might end up being battery pack replacement.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
I guess my question is; Why select Bolts? Does it have to do with those produced at a certain plant or a specific production run? The long term fix might end up being battery pack replacement.
We’re all just guessing here. Let the engineers pour over it then we’ll see what GM and Kia does about it.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Absolutely just guessing. It did say select Bolts which I'm guessing means not all of them. Makes me wonder if it's only certain batteries and not all of them. Fixing it by limiting charge state for now makes me think it's a hardware issue and not software. I'm just guessing from the available data. I'm sure the engineers already have much more data to examine than we do. Will be interesting to see the answer.

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
Since the recall update appears to be a temp fix that prevents 100% charging, I wonder if simply using Hilltop Reserve to limit the charge to 90% would basically achieve the same result. I really prefer not going in for a band aide that just forces what I already do voluntarily?

3,605 Posts
Hello everyone,

We want to provide clarification to some of the questions above. A certain number of these vehicles were built with high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea facility that may pose a risk of fire when charged to full, or very close to full, capacity. While our investigation into this condition continues, GM has developed software that will limit vehicle charging to 90% of full capacity to mitigate this risk.

Certain vehicles in the 2019 model year were built using battery cells produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea, facility, which is where we believe the issue developed. The verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. Additionally, the 2020 Bolt EV uses a different cell design than the vehicles affected by this recall, which enabled us to increase range to 259 miles.

While it's possible to change the charging settings on your own, we still recommend visiting your servicing dealer to have the interim software update performed to have the max charge rate set to 90%. This will ensure that the setting stays at 90% until the final remedy is available in 2021. As part of this recall, GM will selectively replace an undetermined number of battery packs for further analysis. This action will help GM inspect the battery packs to help determine the root cause of the problem. That process is still being developed. Lastly, we are actively engaged with LG Chem and they are working with us on a remedy.

For any additional questions, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Be sure to include the following in the subject line: ATTN: Chevrolet | username | Forum.

Eddie A.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
820 Posts
thanks for taking the time to respond to us, pretty cool
just like to ask, to keep us in the loop, going forward with developments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like a lot of people will be getting new batteries, or financial compensation for reducing battery charge (range) by 10%.

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
welcome to my 'ghosts in the machine' sort of thing
With many companies headed towards self-driving vehicles, we are in one sense creating Cylons that may eventually achieve consciousness and try to kill us. Ironically, I found the entire rebooted Battlestar Galactica series on Peacock the other day and rewatched it. If you haven't seen it, it's a brilliant remake of the original cheesy 80's version of the show. I love it how the original Apollo (Richard Hatch) is a recurring character in the series.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
820 Posts
With many companies headed towards self-driving vehicles, we are in one sense creating Cylons that may eventually achieve consciousness and try to kill us. Ironically, I found the entire rebooted Battlestar Galactica series on Peacock the other day and rewatched it. If you haven't seen it, it's a brilliant remake of the original cheesy 80's version of the show. I love it how the original Apollo (Richard Hatch) is a recurring character in the series.
its funny to me that you said that
for i have made a career out of 'ghosts in the machine'
its not that they achieve consciousness and try to kill us, that I'm worried about
I'm more worried about the power supply going sideways, that corrupts the processor or processing and then it goes crazy. this way it doesn't even have to be self aware

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
its funny to me that you said that
for i have made a career out of 'ghosts in the machine'
its not that they achieve consciousness and try to kill us, that I'm worried about
I'm more worried about the power supply going sideways, that corrupts the processor or processing and then it goes crazy. this way it doesn't even have to be self aware
For the first part of my career, I was as software tester for a large communications company - so I too made a career out of 'ghosts in the machine'. Sadly, nowadays I just attend virtual meetings, keep up with emails, and don't do any "real" work anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts