GM Volt Forum banner

Bolt EV radiator screen needed?

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Norton 
#1 ·
Just looked through the front grill, and noted fairly large openings. Behind this grill, there are some shutters that I assume open and close depending on what is needed, but have not seen anything about them so far. Does anyone know how they function? Do we need to get a Bolt screen to protect the radiator against damage from small pebbles? Assume the radiator is needed to assist with the TMS for the battery.

#2 ·
Ever look at a Jeep? They've got huge slots in the front, though they are fairly high up. I think it's rare that a pebble will work it's way in there, but it's not impossible, so a BoltScreen might be in order. The problem is that someone will need to get the Bolt to Rochester NY for Scarlett to test fit the first prototype in his shop. Are there any Bolts that have made their way to NY?

#3 · (Edited)
Most modern cars don't even have a traditional "grill" any more covering the air conditioning condensor and radiator. Virtualy every car sold in the United States has air conditioning, and the air conditioning condenser is in front of the engine's radiator. If anything does hit the front of the car it will disable the air conditioning system, not the car itself. As a consequence, rock damage is a rare occurrence, and an expensive inconvenience... not an event that disables the car. With an EV, there is not a large air conditioning condensor in front of the radiators, so the consequences of a rock going through the front opening is much more severe.

This is why I have a VoltScreen and if I had a Bolt I would get a Boltscreen... on my Miata the opening in the bumper is just as low, and wide open to rocks... but the AC system prevents the possibility of ending up disabled beside the road due to a pebble.

Keith

PS: Are modern EV radiators fragile or do people with ICE cars just not report damage to AC condensers due to rocks? I seldom hear of anyone with damage to their air conditioning system in a ICE car due to a rock or pebble... but maybe that is because it doesn't disable to vehicle so people don't bring it up in car related forums.

#6 ·
The shutters open as needed to cool the battery, motor, controller, etc. Most of the time they are closed, and they should provide much better protection than a screen.

My biggest worry is that I drive through a lot of bug-infested areas, and I'm not sure if they will gum up the shutters and cause malfunctions.

#18 ·
The shutters open as needed to cool the battery, motor, controller, etc. Most of the time they are closed, and they should provide much better protection than a screen.
But ANYTIME you press the AC button or the defrost button the AC compressor comes on and the 'radiator' fan(s).
And the shutters will open too.

Both the AC compressor and the fans are variable speed but they have to have air coming in to move through the freon condenser.

#7 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm on the job, but it is kind of hard to do this remotely. No Volts within 300+ miles of here, at least as far as I know. I've been in contact with a couple of BoltOwners and am optimistic that I will have what I need in order to get a prototype done in the near future. There is a good possibility that I'll be able to get my hands on a Bolt in a couple of weeks and be able to confirm a prototype. At this point, I hope to be able to ship the first BoltStuff by late February. Might be a little earlier, might be a little later, but that is the current target.

Based on what we know, and some of the thoughts above, it seems to be a given that a BoltScreen is really good idea for your car.

We are also looking at a couple of new ideas for products for the Bolt based on some conversations that I've had about what BoltOwners want for their cars. Let me know if you have a need and I can put that on the list as well. Nothing will be easy until I have one in the BVoltShop for a few hours, but I'm not waiting for that day, either. Allegedly, Bolts should be on the ground at dealerships around here in March or April. That will be a worst case scenario for some things.

And like llninja stated, if anyone wants to go for a roadtrip in their new Bolt, there is a massive quantity of homebrew in the fridge at the BVoltShop. I'm pretty good at sharing, especially with friendly visitors.

Steve

#8 ·
We are also looking at a couple of new ideas for products for the Bolt based on some conversations that I've had about what BoltOwners want for their cars. Let me know if you have a need and I can put that on the list as well.
Hello Scarlett1 - Here's an idea: a USB phone dock, easily connected to one of the Bolt's front seat USB ports for charging and data connection. Would be very nice to be able to just drop the phone in as you enter the car, rather than fiddling with cables and needing to leave the phone on the passenger seat. Dock could be attached to the relatively useless wireless charging slot in the Premier trim, or maybe inside a cupholder. I'd need USB Type C, but there's probably more who use Type A or lightning or whatever it is Apple uses. I look forward to seeing what products you come up with.

#10 ·
One other thought: People have complained about the wasted space beneath the real floor of the cargo area. There's an amplifier and a small tool and a bunch of foam in a rounded space down there. Maybe you could design something to cover the amp and whatever else and replace the foam with some useful storage. It's kind of an odd, half-round shape, but there should be some way to put it to better use than GM did.

#11 ·
A quick update on this- My hopes for getting my hands on a Bolt in the past couple of weeks didn't work out, so we are waiting for bolts to be on the ground here. My local dealer has one on their website, but it isn't actually there yet. Hopefully that will be soon.... In the mean time, if anyone wants to pre-order a BoltShelf or BoltScreen, shoot an email my way and I'll start the list.

Steve

#13 ·
I now have a protype BoltScreen made and hopefully will make the final adjustments this weekend and then get a template made. Once that happens, we will be in production. I had hoped to get that done last weekend, but things got tossed asunder by the great wind storm that blew through here last week (84 MPH!) and deprived us of electricity for 5 days. Which was immediately followed by the major storm that shut the city down for the past 2 days. With a little luck, the I won't be chopping up trees or shoveling snow this weekend and have the opportunity to get some forward progress made on BoltStuff. Thank you all for your ongoing patience!

Steve

#14 ·
Here you go! These are the first test models. I have to confirm all dimensions and fits tomorrow. As long as it goes smoothly, The templates will be made tomorrow night. Production starts on Sunday. And the BoltPhone is almost ready, too. Just wait until you see what we've got coming for that!! You'll love it!!

I've held off taking orders until I had something solid and knew there would not be any unknown issues creeping in. We are now past that point, so BoltShelf, Bolt Screen, and BoltMats are now open for ordering.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.