GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bolt EV launch possibly delayed? Nope. Cleantechnica= renegade bloggers

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/08/19/chevy-bolt-launch-timing-delayed/

Info is from a person that spoke to a SoCal dealer, so take it with a grain of salt. Says orders will be taken in November instead of the planned Aug '16 timeframe, and deliveries may be pushed back to "late Jan 2017".

I'm dubious at best. But hey, it's Bolt (rumor) news!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Aggresive release schedules are prone to delays. Same happened with the 2016 Volt. Same is happening with the Prius Prime. Wouldn't be surprising. But it's not firm news, so I'll file it away.

But, any delay offers the hope that they'll up the DCFC rate for the latest CCS spec ...

·
Administrator
19,977 Posts
Bolt news abhors a vacuum. It will be filled with ...rumors and butt scratching. :)

A dealer told me my 2011 volt had active grill shutters. He was only off by 5 years and one car generation, haha.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2016 Volt orders (outside of Cali) started being taken the last week of August 2016, and the '16 Volt also had an October start of production date.

I'm hoping Bolt orders also start to be taken later this month. It is in GM's best interests to deliver some Bolts by the end of this year, as they will be able to rake the ZEV credits applicable for this year. The Volt's ZEV credits can only cover up to a certain % of the ZEV credits required, and Spark EV sales alone likely won't cover the remaining requirement.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Chevy Bolt EV final production for consumer sales will begin in October (there are Bolt EVs being produced now and stored at the Orion lot). But deliveries will take time. I see the first customer order fulfilled by the end of November of this year.

Don't worry! GM wil easily beat the TM Model 3 by two years!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Bolt target production date was October, is still October and is on track for October. It hasn't changed.

The dealerships are not good sources of information. The salesman at my local dealer comes to me for new up to date information.
Very true. According to some dealers, Chevy was killing the Volt and there wouldn't be a Gen 2. :p

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a regional guy slip an earlier date, but then backtracked to what is generally being reported now. Not sure who you can believe, and I agree, the dealer would be the last one.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
As stated by many of you during the Volt launch, MAYBE GM's limited the rollout to ZEV credit states because they wanted to gain ZEV credits from every Gen2 sale in 2015......They could apply the same thinking with Bolt but opposite, they're good with 2016 ZEV credits and want them for 2017...Even if that were to happen you'd imagine the delay would only be a matter of weeks so not a huge deal...

In the article what I found interesting was: "previously announced pricing of $37,500 before rebates was yet to be confirmed as the official MSRP" with the author hoping GM actually lowers the price...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the article what I found interesting was: "previously announced pricing of $37,500 before rebates was yet to be confirmed as the official MSRP" with the author hoping GM actually lowers the price...
I'm hoping GM gives away Bolts for free. Let me publish an article and see what happens. :p

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yeah seems like a crowd sourced filler article. Apparently he's not picking up his Bolt at his local Chevy dealer a full year before he runs down to the Tesla store and picks up his Model 3. :D

Not sure if this tells us anything about the Bolt delivery schedule. Does seem that a big chunk of the early production might be earmarked for Lyft, presumably in CARB states. And then of course we ordinarily have a hold for QC and such things. All in all seems like the roll out of the first generation Volt. A few show up before the end of the year but it's 2017 before they become more generally available.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As stated by many of you during the Volt launch, MAYBE GM rollback the was because they wanted more ZEV credits...They could do the same thing with Bolt but even if they do it would appear the delay is a matter of weeks...
Pretty hard to even know if there is a delay. I think what we've heard is deliveries before the end of the year without much visibility on how many deliveries that might be.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Article on Cleantechnica says Jan. 2017 for first deliveries.

·
2,356 Posts
The fact that they didn't even attempt to contact GM directly (corporate media relations, not the dealer) for comment does not give me much confidence in the accuracy of this blog post.

We'll see.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If production is to start in October what does that mean?

Next, I fully expect the bolt to not be "Available Nationwide" in the true sense of the word until 2017.

Look at the Gen I release, couldn't even place an order in 2010 if you were somewhere other than launch states.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
With how many Bolts are out there already, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them earlier rather than later. I am sure I won't see one until next year, unless they don't favor any particular dealers, but big EV places should have them earlier I would guess, but I didn't see my first gen 2 Volt until recently.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts