GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had some fun with some other YouTube EV owners. We decided to do a side-by-side efficiency run around some of my local roads. The participants were:

2014 Tesla Model S RWD 85
2018 BMW i3s with REX
2017 Chevy Bolt Lt
2018 Tesla Model P3D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is great, thanks Eric. So nice to see real EV owners of different vehicles getting along amicably, a real break from some of the craziness on the forums.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
While I applaud the intent, I suspect it will backfire. One of the big problems EVs have is the Prius legacy - efficient comes at a performance price. While Tesla has shown that EVs perform as well as, if not better, than comparable high end sports sedans and SUVs, and GM's EV offerings have faired will against comparable ICE vehicles, the general public is still of the mindset that EVs are slow, golfcart like appliances like the Prius. Videos like this reinforce this mindset even though it's no different that what Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc. do every time they do a head to head comparison.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
While I applaud the intent, I suspect it will backfire. One of the big problems EVs have is the Prius legacy - efficient comes at a performance price. While Tesla has shown that EVs perform as well as, if not better, than comparable high end sports sedans and SUVs, and GM's EV offerings have faired will against comparable ICE vehicles, the general public is still of the mindset that EVs are slow, golfcart like appliances like the Prius. Videos like this reinforce this mindset even though it's no different that what Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc. do every time they do a head to head comparison.
How so? They were travelling as fast as traffic would allow and faster than some of the drivers normally would. They were keeping it just under tires squealing which is driving as fast as you should be driving. They repeated several times they weren't dwaddling.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How so? They were travelling as fast as traffic would allow and faster than some of the drivers normally would. They were keeping it just under tires squealing which is driving as fast as you should be driving. They repeated several times they weren't dwaddling.
Yup. That's pretty much how I would normally drive that road. Truthfully, I think the efficiency was just a pretense for the get together. Alex and I spoke about possibly doing a SoCal to San Jose comparison drive, though I think he still wants to wait for public charging on I-5 to be completed.

What would have been nice would be to get a little more feedback from each of the drivers about their cars. I didn't realize Dave was going to edit most of this like a commercial. I think many people who are cross-shopping EVs would benefit from watching this.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Really fun comparison. The Bolt EV did good, and the i3 results were a little surprising. Thank you for sharing it!

·
Registered
606 Posts
The i3 result doesn't make sense. I think he had the heater on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts