GM Volt Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
.... The Bolt has the first one, and the Volt has the second. And they're apparently different enough to ....
I'm curious why you say this?

And how can you explain the difference in plain english?

Again, the only layman's way I know of testing this subject is to stop using the Brake pedal in D with the regen display at or near the max. Them hop out and measure brake disc temps with an IR reader.
The results will probably be the same on both of these GM EV's.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
After my Bolt test ride Wed.... just leave the Bolt in Low- you never touch the brake pedal.

It wouldn't matter if the Bolt had cable actuated drum brakes... you'll never use them in day to day driving.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
.... just leave the Bolt in Low- you never touch the brake pedal...
Right, that is the appeal of driving in L, I guess.

But when TSHTF you THEN at the last moment have to move your foot to the Brake Pedal.
If you are driving Normal your foot would already be there on the Brake Pedal.

What's so bad about touching the Brake Pedal? And you get 'Coast' at no extra charge.
Driving in D you don't have to think about and be in control of every last 'Deceleration Event', (like you have to in some EV's...)

But with Chevy pushing/advertising this new style of driving in L, lots of people think it is the new required norm.
Chevy doesn't have to copy Tesla. Tesla does not have the technology of blended brakes on their EV's.
I hope this doesn't come back and bite Chevy on the butt...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ I like driving in "L" because it more closely simulates the responsiveness of a manual transmission where ride smoothness is a function of driver skill in modulating the pedals.

I've never cared for the slush-o-matic feel of automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Right, that is the appeal of driving in L, I guess.

But when TSHTF you THEN at the last moment have to move your foot to the Brake Pedal.
If you are driving Normal your foot would already be there on the Brake Pedal.
In "L" driving for the Bolt/Volt, you just do what us Tesla owners do and just rest your foot on the brake pedal without actually pushing it. You need to touch the brake pedal to slow from 5-0MPH, anyway.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
..... just do what us Tesla owners do and just rest your foot on the brake pedal without actually pushing it. ....
Say What?
Which foot? I guess your saying the left foot since the right foot MUST be planted on the Go pedal for the entire trip.

So your promoting left foot braking, correct?

No wonder there are 'accidents' of Tesla's running through store fronts and such.....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Say What?
Which foot? I guess your saying the left foot since the right foot MUST be planted on the Go pedal for the entire trip.

So your promoting left foot braking, correct?

No wonder there are 'accidents' of Tesla's running through store fronts and such.....
When you take your right foot off the accelerator pedal, you move it to the brake pedal and rest it there. Have you seriously never even tried doing the method of driving that you constantly rail against?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Wonder about the autonomous Bolts they only work in D or does it work in L too?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
No, the Bolt does not have Coast, only Regen. Even in D.
Yes, yes, it is a SW simulated coast to feel like a normal car.
It's a very minimal regen to feel like a conventional car when you lift off the Go pedal.
It does not coast like a car that is shifted to Neutral. We all know this.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,346 Posts
I'm curious why you say this?

And how can you explain the difference in plain english?

Again, the only layman's way I know of testing this subject is to stop using the Brake pedal in D with the regen display at or near the max. Them hop out and measure brake disc temps with an IR reader.
The results will probably be the same on both of these GM EV's.
Because that's what we thrashed out back in NOVEMBER on this same darned thread, with WOT weighing in and explaining that very thing and you didn't believe him about it either. Bolt/Bosch does friction braking way at the end of the travel/hard braking. Volt does whatever the heck it thinks is best, which is often similar but doesn't have to be.

·
1,308 Posts
In "L" driving for the Bolt/Volt, you just do what us Tesla owners do and just rest your foot on the brake pedal without actually pushing it. You need to touch the brake pedal to slow from 5-0MPH, anyway.
Except that in a Bolt EV you don't normally have to touch the brake pedal to slow from 5-0 mph like you do in a Tesla. You only need to do it in a Bolt when you are heading downhill because the Bolt will not use active motor torque to prevent the car from slowly moving forward due to gravity. The Bolt will, however, use active motor torque to prevent the car from rolling backwards on a hill due to gravity. When you are on a mostly flat road it will come quickly and smoothly to a full stop.

I believe it uses some active motor torque during the last several mph to bring the car down to a near stop and then relies on regen to hold it in place (with the exception that it won't allow it to roll backwards). When the car is heading downhill this has the effect of slowing the car to probably less than 1 mph before the active motor torque cuts out and this is why it only slows to a creep when facing downhill.

This all sounds a bit complicated but in practice you initially learn it needs you to use the brake pedal to come to a full stop sometimes and eventually you figure out the pattern of when you do and don't need to. Even when you do need the brake pedal, the creep is so slow that there is no safety issue involved -- there is plenty of time to figure that you need to use the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

Also, if you are stopped and then hit by another car (rear-ended etc.) in one-pedal mode without your foot on the brake pedal the Bolt will automatically apply the brakes for you, according to a GM press rep.

I've driven both the Model S and the Bolt EV. The Bolt's one-pedal mode is much nicer and is addictive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use L always in city driving.
I use D mostly on the freeway.
Normally on the freeway you want gentle decelleration just slowing enough not to bump the slower car ahead of you. You are not trying to stop.

On the other hand, I keep it in L on the freeway while using cruise control. This way, any of the four methods of stopping cruise control is effectively the same as hitting the brakes.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.