GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
It sounds like a piezo speaker to me that acts as a noise generator when the car is put into gear. It's not audible inside the cabin, but with the drivers window down, I hear it energize when the car is put into gear. It's supposed to shut off at 25 mph. To me it sounds sick.

A little fake electric motor whine would sound a lot better.

Anyone know where this little speaker is located?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
It sounds like a piezo speaker to me that acts as a noise generator when the car is put into gear. It's not audible inside the cabin, but with the drivers window down, I hear it energize when the car is put into gear. It's supposed to shut off at 25 mph. To me it sounds sick.

A little fake electric motor whine would sound a lot better.

Anyone know where this little speaker is located?
The 2015 Gen 1 Volt does not have the noise maker, only the pedestrian alert horn that can be activated from the stalk on the steering column.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iIjust noticed I didn't change my signature.
I posted in the Bolt section because that's what it is.

2018 Bolt Premium with every factory option.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
when the government mandated that EVs make a sound below a certain speed they really should have gone as far as mandate the actual sound. then again be happy that Chevrolet did not see fit to fake engine noises like another brand recently did

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm guessing that one of the body control modules turns it on and off at speed, and also utilizes it for the charge confirmation chirp. That is, unless there's another speaker for the charge confirmation chirp, but I think it does double duty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts