GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first Bolt in person yesterday. While not bad, curious if any owners or prospective owners have given it a more "aggressive" appearance--or distinctive or luxurious, or heck, just something different. I'm not a fan of the "everyday" vehicle, one reason I haven't jumped into a Gen 2 yet.

Quite frankly, I'm stumped and not sure it's possible due to its physical layout. It may not lend itself to any kind of appearance mods--except ones that would make it look ridiculous. Trying to view it with different rims doesn't seem to make as dramatic a difference as it does on the Volt for example.

Maybe a blacked out look? Dated and overdone I know, but one idea. Who knows, maybe lifting it and bigger wheels? Seems a bit much, too--big hit on range and likely stability.

Just trying to see what I could do to this thing if I pick one up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An owner in Quebec did the black out, you can see it on the facebook group... no more chrome, no more gold, black wheels

(don't have enough post to show picture)

www . evernote . com/shard/s3/sh/c9e2f783-d2b6-4018-ae99-93aa1dc0d35c/0b941c866e9c177d

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Saw my first Bolt in person yesterday. While not bad, curious if any owners or prospective owners have given it a more "aggressive" appearance--or distinctive or luxurious, or heck, just something different. I'm not a fan of the "everyday" vehicle, one reason I haven't jumped into a Gen 2 yet.

Quite frankly, I'm stumped and not sure it's possible due to its physical layout. It may not lend itself to any kind of appearance mods--except ones that would make it look ridiculous. Trying to view it with different rims doesn't seem to make as dramatic a difference as it does on the Volt for example.

Maybe a blacked out look? Dated and overdone I know, but one idea. Who knows, maybe lifting it and bigger wheels? Seems a bit much, too--big hit on range and likely stability.

Just trying to see what I could do to this thing if I pick one up.
I usually tint the windows and debadge (Remove all emblems) all of my vehicles to personalize them. My 2012 proved to be a challenge with the front bowtie integrated to the grille and the side VOLT emblems being part of the trim itself. A bit of vinyl took care of that :) Pics HERE if you are interested.

Other ideas are custom wheels, lowering the vehicle using chassis mods, and custom paint to one level or another. Good luck and enjoy the car as you make it 'yours' :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Plastipid the whole car (included all exterior black, chrome and silver trim) in flat color...Absolutely reversible...

The bolt pattern isn't the most popular so new wheels may be more pricey than one expects and then if you change rim size, you now lose the self sealing tires, so will need to buy an inflator or a spare, new tires, etc...

I think by MY20 there will be some sort of sleek EV option from GM...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
An owner in Quebec did the black out, you can see it on the facebook group... no more chrome, no more gold, black wheels

(don't have enough post to show picture)

www . evernote . com/shard/s3/sh/c9e2f783-d2b6-4018-ae99-93aa1dc0d35c/0b941c866e9c177d
It's well executed but man with the electric blue just reminds me of the late 90s...

This look and I believe will look better black/white/silver/charcoal can be by just plastidipping the trim...But to comment on Joe's idea of shaving badges, with plastidip, you just remove the emblem and spray like ten coats over the emblem indentation then you still should put several coasts on the whole car...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I might make some changes, but I prefer my modifications to be functional. And you're right... those could hit the efficiency pretty hard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think with the right combination of mods the bolt can be nice. It will never be as sexy as a model 3, but usually a sedan has better lines than a hatch. Still I prefer a hatch for practicality reasons.

This car looks nice,but with a moderate drop would look much better.

Lowering the car will improve a bit the aero. Obviously if you install stickier tires it will hurt range a bit. Best thing would be not to go wider than 225mm and choose a performance tire that has a treadwear higher than 500 like continental DWS 06. Weight also plays a big role so the lower the better for wheel/tire. On the bolt it will not be dramatic if you lose 10-20km range because of the 60kwh battery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another way to make it look sportier would be to wrap the pillars and roof black.

Just like what Maven did, but I would keep the hood same color as the car. The contrast works better with light colors.
If you do the hood black, I would do the front grille same color as the car.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Welcome. It was a quick knock-off. Hardly correct or realistic, but it'll give you a general idea of what it would look like.

I imagine all the people asking you to photoshop stuff lol.
Well, it's not like I sit around here waiting for requests. :rolleyes: But since you were polite.......

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Just take the Bolt drive and install it in an ATS-e. Or an XT3 BEV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts