GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the Bolt is going to have resistive heating, like the Volts and the Spark EV.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Considering there is no hype surrounding the heating, I would say 100% chance of just being resistive.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Is it gonna be a Tesla like or not ? Using the battery temp to heat the cabin too ?
Not sure but it really doesn't matter; we're just going to have to wait until we see the range is colder weather...Same would go for opposite, what affect would the A/C have on hot climates?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Chevy said, I believe, that the Bolt would have a "more robust" heating system than the Volt.

I did notice, in the options list printout, it shows rear heating ducts, and also lists optional seat heaters for all four seats.

That is all we know so far.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It appears as though most of the coolant loops are connected, so I'd be very surprised if it weren't scouring heat from the battery/electronics.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Remember the relative battery sizes. Both Volt and Bolt are compact cars, both will take ~about~ the same power to heat up and maintain the cabin temperature. If you use 1KWHr of heat every 10 min in Volt (6KW rate), you just cut your range in half. If you use the same in Bolt, that's a much smaller impact.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Remember the relative battery sizes. Both Volt and Bolt are compact cars, both will take ~about~ the same power to heat up and maintain the cabin temperature. If you use 1KWHr of heat every 10 min in Volt (6KW rate), you just cut your range in half. If you use the same in Bolt, that's a much smaller impact.
Despite it having a small footprint, it has the same interior volume as the full size model S so there's more air to heat vs the Volt...The rear vents and rear seat heaters do help a great deal...But we simply won't know until we know; to keep the car 67f when it's 40f out or 0f out, what the impact on range will be...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I predict a massive amount of threads about low winter range and poor heating this year. From all brands of EV/PHEVs. :D

It's a pretty safe prediction since it happens every year.

The most interesting might be the Model X. People were complaining about summer range, and it has some significant interior volume and tons of glass.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I was at the Chevy dealer today and the parts guy said the Bolt parts catalog is starting to fill in. I asked about the heater and he told me there's no illustration yet, but it appears the car is going to have resistance heating from what he could tell from the catalog.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You would think they would use plutonium dioxide heaters. It can double as an interior light, and will keep your battery charged to boot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Resistance heating and aluminium body is why I decided to go with a gen 2 Volt.

Until these 2 things are made practical (i.e. steel body and heat pump) and fast charging is available the Bolt will be a niche product imo.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ it will indeed be interesting to see how people in the tri-state area fare once the true winter weather sets in.
I lost 6mi range on my 2014 Volt this morning because the outside temp was 40f.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
^ it will indeed be interesting to see how people in the tri-state area fare once the true winter weather sets in.
It should be fairly easy to anticipate. EVs and ICEVs will both lose approximately 6% fuel efficiency for every 10F below 70F.

@70F: 238 miles
@60F: 224 miles
@50F: 210 miles
@40F: 198 miles
@30F: 186 miles
@20F: 175 miles
@10F: 165 miles
@0F: 155 miles
@-10F: 146 miles
@-20F: 137 miles
@-30F: 129 miles
@-40F: 121 miles

I'd be interested to see how Tesla Model S are currently doing in those weather conditions. We could probably build a fairly accurate predictive model based on weather conditions.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Ask somebody with a Heat Pump Leaf who actually turns on the cabin heat how many miles they lose. You're in for a surprise.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Ask somebody with a Heat Pump Leaf who actually turns on the cabin heat how many miles they lose. You're in for a surprise.
Only met a Leaf owner one time- not a lot of them around here... it was summer so the winter range thing didn't really come up.

What's the surprise then?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Only met a Leaf owner one time- not a lot of them around here... it was summer so the winter range thing didn't really come up.

What's the surprise then?
The Volt has much bigger battery and cabin heaters, which are resistive.
Heating is not a percent, it's a number of kWh's.

Leafs lose more miles in the cold, even though the heaters are much smaller and use a heatpump.

They SHOULD use less miles, since they have smaller heaters including a magic heat pump.

The Bolt will have heated front and rear seats and steering wheel for cold climates. If it uses the same engineers who did the Volt, expect the mileage lost to be less than other brands.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts